Lighter and Cleaning More

There is no one exercise that will make or break a person’s physique or performance if they have the solid drive and are implementing other tools.

By the way, neural gains in strength will usually take quite a bit longer to achieve than increasesin strength with additional body mass. That is something you have to be prepared for if you take that road.

-MAtt

[quote]Ape Escape wrote:
Professor X wrote:

I don’t deadlift. Neither did Lee Haney. It isn’t exactly necessary to get bigger and stronger. It is simply popular.

Why doen’t you deadlift it is one of the best exercises for your posterior chain. Is it because they are too hard on your cardiovascular system, bad leverage

Deadlifts do build density and size look at that powerlifter on all Powerlifters are fat, his back is the freakiest back that I’ve seen

[/quote]

[quote]Hanley wrote:

Hell it’s not even neccessary to deadlift to get a strong deadlift according to Louie Simmons!

[/quote]

That aplies if you are allready strong enough and technically skilled on the matter, but if you first have to achieve a strong deadlift it is strongly advised to deadlift. Practise makes perfect.

There is a world outside of WB and big parts of that world are stronger than WB will ever be.

Professor X wrote:

“Posterior chain” has become a great pop culture term in weight lifting. Do you believe your “posterior chain” is only worked by deadlifts? Deadlifts are not necessary. I may or may not add them back in down the road. I haven’t had anyone point out that I lack density or size.

That is true there are many exercises to work the hamstrings, lower back etc.(Pull- throughs, Ghr’s, olympic lifts) I’m just saying it’s a great exercise works almost every muscle in the body and you can use very heavy weights on it.

I will also note that every guy who logs in under 170lbs claims a deadlift over 400lbs. I personally am not impressed.

2 years ago I weighed 185 lbs(bulk up up from 150 in a year) and deadlifted 350 lbs is that more impressive? What are your lifts?(bench and squat)I have seen that you are huge so they must be good 400+ lb bench

[quote]Professor X wrote:

So, your plan is to avoid gaining any more body weight but attempt to increase your strength by how much?

The first time I hit 205lbs on a bench press, I was younger than you and didn’t think that made me special at all. There were guys stronger than me so I got bigger and stronger. It seems that quite a few of you are holding your progress BACK because you seem to be afraid of actually gaining body weight.

I could see if you were just naturally extremely strong…but you aren’t.[/quote]

Thanks for your advise Professor X I actually weigh 172 lbs (scale was broken)

With the adive you gave me I am going to get to 200lbs and bench 300+ pounds on the bench press(215 right now weak!!!) By: August 5th

Do you think I can achieve this in a 6 month time period? (I gain muscle easily)

Also achieve a 300 lb clean?

Ape,

I’d recommend finding a OL coach in your area. There are alot of good coaches around the New Jersey area and alot of fine lifters too. Bodyweight is not an issue for someone just starting the lifts, I would not even worry about it. You should try to surround yourself with some strong lifters and a good coach, you should contact any of the following coaches listed off USAW’s site.

DEVILS WEIGHTLIFTING TEAM
c/o Bill Klika
Fairleigh Dickson Univ-Rec Ctr
285 Madison Avenue
Madison, NJ 07940
(973) 443-8828
klika@fdu.edu

HILLSBOROUGH RAIDER WLC
ATTN: Robert Herman
466 Raider Blvd
Hillsborough, NJ 08844
(908) 874-4200