T Nation

Light Routine for Beginner?

Hi,
I’ve been reading the site for a while, and I noticed that most of the programs seem to be geared toward serious/regular lifters. I’ve read the bgeineer guides and the more I read, the more I get confused. I’m just a small guy and a college student, so I can’t hit the gym 3 times a week.
I’m only 5"6 and 140. I’m looking for gains of 15 - 20lbs over 1 ~ 2 years.

I was wondering if there is any good light programs for beginners with upper body focus (workout twice a week).

Thanks.

[quote]ne1o wrote:
I’ve been reading the site for a while, and I noticed that most of the programs seem to be geared toward serious/regular lifters. [/quote]

This isn’t the case at all. There are dozens of programs that would work great for beginners. A good rule of thumb is that if it’s a “specialization” program (a calf routine, an arm-focused routine, a fat loss routine, etc.) it’s not a good start for a beginner. You want something that’s more well-rounded.

Don’t sweat it, that’s a common problem. Easiest solution: stop reading so much (no joke).

Say what now? I understand being a college student, but there are hundreds of guys here who lifted seriously while in college with full schedules (and plenty are doing it currently). You’re telling me, scouts honor, that you couldn’t find 40-60 minutes a day, three days a week, to train?

Have you ever trained before? I only ask because that’s a drastic underestimation of what you could accomplish if you really tried. Especially if you’re brand new to exercise, as soon as you get into a consistent weight lifting program and start eating sufficient calories, you’ll surprise yourself.

First: Presuming you’re an injury-free, otherwise-healthy guy, a “good light program” is an oxymoron. You build muscle by lifting relatively heavy.

Secondly: Despite your instincts, you do not want an upper body focus. For maximum growth, you want to train everything equally, and this means training legs.

I’ll give you two choices for your workout program, that’s the only decision you need to make. Flip a coin, if it helps.

Do this: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/starting_strength_the_guide

Or do this: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_25_method

For your food, do this:

[quote]ne1o wrote:
Hi,
I’ve been reading the site for a while, and I noticed that most of the programs seem to be geared toward serious/regular lifters. I’ve read the bgeineer guides and the more I read, the more I get confused. I’m just a small guy and a college student, so I can’t hit the gym 3 times a week.

I was wondering if there is any good light programs for beginners with upper body focus (workout twice a week).

Thanks. [/quote]

I understand your predicament, but if you’re telling me you’ve set your sights so low that you only want to gain 15 lbs in 2 years (that’s less than 1 pound a month) and that to boot you’re too lazy to make it to the gym 3 times a week to do it, I have no interest in helping your sorry ass. Sorry.

I personally know several friends (a couple of them female) that work full 40 hours a week in addition to going to college full time that still SOMEHOW, find the time to get the gym in at least 3 times a week.

I was one of them, so stuff your excuses and cowboy the fuck up. Unless you have 4 jobs, you’ve got plenty of time.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
ne1o wrote:
I’ve been reading the site for a while, and I noticed that most of the programs seem to be geared toward serious/regular lifters.

This isn’t the case at all. There are dozens of programs that would work great for beginners. A good rule of thumb is that if it’s a “specialization” program (a calf routine, an arm-focused routine, a fat loss routine, etc.) it’s not a good start for a beginner. You want something that’s more well-rounded.

I’ve read the bgeineer guides and the more I read, the more I get confused.

Don’t sweat it, that’s a common problem. Easiest solution: stop reading so much (no joke).

I’m just a small guy and a college student, so I can’t hit the gym 3 times a week.

Say what now? I understand being a college student, but there are hundreds of guys here who lifted seriously while in college with full schedules (and plenty are doing it currently). You’re telling me, scouts honor, that you couldn’t find 40-60 minutes a day, three days a week, to train?

Have you ever trained before? I only ask because that’s a drastic underestimation of what you could accomplish if you really tried. Especially if you’re brand new to exercise, as soon as you get into a consistent weight lifting program and start eating sufficient calories, you’ll surprise yourself.

First: Presuming you’re an injury-free, otherwise-healthy guy, a “good light program” is an oxymoron. You build muscle by lifting relatively heavy.

Secondly: Despite your instincts, you do not want an upper body focus. For maximum growth, you want to train everything equally, and this means training legs.

I’ll give you two choices for your workout program, that’s the only decision you need to make. Flip a coin, if it helps.

Do this: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/starting_strength_the_guide

Or do this: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_25_method

For your food, do this:

[/quote]
Hey,
Thanks for the threads and help.
I’ve never trained before, but I’m looking to hit 160lb so I can make weight.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
ne1o wrote:
I’ve been reading the site for a while, and I noticed that most of the programs seem to be geared toward serious/regular lifters.

I’ve read the bgeineer guides and the more I read, the more I get confused.

I’m just a small guy and a college student, so I can’t hit the gym 3 times a week.

For your food, do this:

[/quote]

Hi,
Thanks for the help and threads. .
I’ve never trained before, but I’m hoping I can hit 160lb to make weight. I don’t need that now, but I guess as I lose fat and gain more lean weight it might be more than what I listed.
I’m sorry if I caused some misunderstanding. What I meant by a light program was that it wasn’t three times a week. I realize that there are many people at the college gym where I work out who have jobs and full schedule and workout three, four times a week, but I have personal reasons which I will not list on why I can’t make that commitment right now. Hopefully when matters sort out (a year at least), I will be able to make that commitment, and will change my routine.

Thanks again.

[quote]ne1o wrote:

Hey,
Thanks for the threads and help.
I’ve never trained before, but I’m looking to hit 160lb so I can make weight.

[/quote]

Make weight? Like as in make weight for a specific sport?