T Nation

Light Lifting on Off Days Do Anything?

I’m curious about this. I’m going to have a home gym soon, and it allows me to do things that I would otherwise be unable to do. On off days, if you were to wake up, eat some breakfast, then do some light lifting, then eat again and go off on your day, would it do anything? I’m just running ideas through my head, and this is something im not sure about.

So, if you were to lift lightly on your off days first thing in the morning, would it offer any benefits? Like helping metabolism, increasing recovery time, increasing muscle growth, anything? What im asking may seem stupid to some of you, but I would appreciate any answers.

if ur lifting heavy enough on your on days, you shouldnt have the energy or want to train again. no matter how light.

but id say it wouldnt matter… maybe loosen u up a bit if your tight.

EDIT. suppose it depends what light means and if it is compound or isolations etc.

light enough compounds could have a cardio effect.

If you’re training hard by lifting weights 3-4 days a week and then doing some light stuff in the morning, it would potentially be beneficial for active recovery or for cardio benefits.

It’s been said that some very light, high-rep lifting can increase capillarization and break through plateaus. Personally, I’ve never found it necessary or worthwhile. Train. Eat. Rest. Grow.

you can do some light circuits for fat loss or train laggin bodyparts aslong as it doesnt interfere with next “regular” day.
g

I don’t see anything wrong with it. Just don’t feel obligated. If you feel like getting in some extra training, go for it. If you don’t, don’t. Listen to your body.

That’s one of the things I like most about having a gym at home.

I like doing it for active recovery. Whenever I’m really sore and tight, especially from squatting, I’ll do some bw squats and kb swings until I have a light sweat going, then I’ll get a good stretch in.

I feel so much better afterwards, its night and day.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
I don’t see anything wrong with it. Just don’t feel obligated. If you feel like getting in some extra training, go for it. If you don’t, don’t. Listen to your body.

That’s one of the things I like most about having a gym at home. [/quote]

x2

Hmmm, thanks for the replies. Im still not sure about it, but ill try it and see how it works. One thing (im not 100% sure about this) I think would be good about light lifting (like 1/3 weight squats, bench, or something like that) is it would probably stretch the tight and sore muscles after a nights rest, so in my mind it seems like its worth a try.

The goal wouldn’t be to provide a workout really, the goal would probably be to stretch the muscles and warm them up for the day, so that hopefully it will recover them faster, or at least make them feel looser for when the next workout came.

I’ll still probably do 1 day a week where I do nothing, so that I can give the muscles a break.

[quote]fisch wrote:
Hmmm, thanks for the replies. Im still not sure about it, but ill try it and see how it works. One thing (im not 100% sure about this) I think would be good about light lifting (like 1/3 weight squats, bench, or something like that) is it would probably stretch the tight and sore muscles after a nights rest, so in my mind it seems like its worth a try.
[/quote]

IMO, thats all it is. It doesn’t qualify as a workout, just a light stretch and active recovery. Somethings like like 25 bw squats + 15 pushups x 3 rounds. A little stretch, especially the muscles you worked through the rom you worked them and a little stretch afterwards.

If I take two days off without anything, I’m just twice as tight when I go in the gym and do DROMs and warm ups. It takes me twice as long to get going, and I end up being in the gym 15-30 min longer than otherwise. Keep it reasonable and it isn’t cutting into recovery.

I usually do these in my apartment, and even if I had a fat burning/conditioning/interval workout scheduled and don’t feel recovered, it shifts to a an active rest workout and I don’t get a workout in but I do something and feel like a million bucks next time I get in the gym to do something hard.