Light, High Rep Workout in the Morning?

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
Ct. Rockula wrote:
ok, so i got an olypic barbell and 2 45 plates yesterday so im thinking about doing a total body workout three times a week when i wake up say

1 x 20 of squats, 1x15 of curls 1x20 on shoulder press, 1 x 20 on good mornings,1 x 20 of romanian deadlifts

i usually wake up at 530, so do you think this will interfere with my heavy work later in the day at 2 or 3?

You know what? I totally missed the part about you only having a bar and 45’s. That sucks.

I don’t know that it will hamper your efforts later in the day, but the biggest question for anything lifting related is “will it help me progress”. In this case, I really don’t think it will.

But if you have extra time in the morning, definitely use it to your advantage. Do your ab work, if any, or rotator cuff and shoulder stability. It could definitely help you progress by allowing you to spend more gym time lifting big, at the very least.[/quote]

thats what i was thnking, but wouldnt doing light weight in the morning help to kickstart my metabolism? and since i’m getting some muscle damage from that morning routine wouldnt all my meals go straight to the muscles?

Couldn’t hurt to try it for a while. It may just work for you. You trying to lose some fat or just looking for a way to get to your lifting goals faster?

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
Couldn’t hurt to try it for a while. It may just work for you. You trying to lose some fat or just looking for a way to get to your lifting goals faster?[/quote]

I’m cutting right now

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
ok, so i got an olypic barbell and 2 45 plates yesterday so im thinking about doing a total body workout three times a week when i wake up say

1 x 20 of squats, 1x15 of curls 1x20 on shoulder press, 1 x 20 on good mornings,1 x 20 of romanian deadlifts

i usually wake up at 530, so do you think this will interfere with my heavy work later in the day at 2 or 3?[/quote]

Personally I think this sounds like a great idea. I dunno that I’d do cleans or snatch though. Keep it simple in both ideas and motor patterns. You’ll also probably want to do a warm-up set with the bar. I’ve GM’ed 315 x 12 before, but I still need at least 1 set with just the bar before doing either squats or GM’s at 135. Just helps me get the blood flowing.

I think this will probably really help you wake up faster. As long as it’s easy, keep at it. Sounds more like a warm-up than a workout. Shouldn’t interfere at all with your heavy stuff as long as you’re not going too close to failure.

I would change the order of the exercises though–good mornings and RDLs are basically working the same part of the body and a similar movement pattern— I’d do squats, then shoulder press, then good mornings, then curls, the deadlifts. Space out the lower back stuff. Or maybe just alternate the RDL and the GM every other day and just do the four exercises instead of five every morning.

Thinking about it now it seems like the curls will probably carry over to your low back as well—it’s supporting musculature, but the carry over isn’t something that’s really worrisome. It’s just that If you want to stay completely fresh for your day, I’d avoid accumulating any sort of fatigue. I think I’d probably just do 4 of the exercises personally. Still, I like the idea a lot–a buddy of mine used to do morning exercises of a similar nature with adjustable dumbbells he had. He did them on his weak muscle groups, and it seemed to help him over time.