Light, High Rep Workout in the Morning?

ok, so i got an olypic barbell and 2 45 plates yesterday so im thinking about doing a total body workout three times a week when i wake up say

1 x 20 of squats, 1x15 of curls 1x20 on shoulder press, 1 x 20 on good mornings,1 x 20 of romanian deadlifts

i usually wake up at 530, so do you think this will interfere with my heavy work later in the day at 2 or 3?

Maybe. Try it and see how you feel after a few weeks.

I’d also substitute Bent Over Rows for the Good Mornings, and perhaps add Floor Presses. Mix it up. Maybe mid-week you do cleans, front squats, etc.

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
so do you think this will interfere with my heavy work later in the day at 2 or 3?[/quote]

yes

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Maybe. Try it and see how you feel after a few weeks.

I’d also substitute Bent Over Rows for the Good Mornings, and perhaps add Floor Presses. Mix it up. Maybe mid-week you do cleans, front squats, etc.[/quote]

thanks i was thinking about adding cleans and front squat in there on wednesdsay

Why make a thread when all you have to do is try?

Pointless thread.

[quote]Standard Donkey wrote:
Ct. Rockula wrote:
so do you think this will interfere with my heavy work later in the day at 2 or 3?

yes[/quote]

do you really think so. i mean 135 pounds isnt heavy at all and its only one set of everything.

how would you change it?

Standard Donkey wrote:
Ct. Rockula wrote:
so do you think this will interfere with my heavy work later in the day at 2 or 3?

yes

do you really think so. i mean 135 pounds isnt heavy at all and its only one set of everything.

how would you change it?

[/quote]

Why would you let a person barely breaking 200lbs with no pictures decide what is too much for you?

That makes no sense. Get your ass out there and try for yourself.

[quote]Short Hoss wrote:
Ct. Rockula wrote:
Standard Donkey wrote:
Ct. Rockula wrote:

yes

how would you change it?

Why would you let a person barely breaking 200lbs with no pictures decide what is too much for you?

That makes no sense. Get your ass out there and try for yourself.[/quote]

I’m going to, calm your ass down man, damn!! haha

[quote]Short Hoss wrote:
Ct. Rockula wrote:
Standard Donkey wrote:
Ct. Rockula wrote:

yes

how would you change it?

That makes no sense. Get your ass out there and try for yourself.[/quote]

That was 240 before i was struck with a serious illness…and I was not telling him what is too much for him.

He asked a simple question and i gave a simple answer which i will explain in a moment. if that is seriously all you had to contribute then i would have suggested not writing anything at all. Ignorance is bliss i suppose.

edit:

OP, I would suggest not doing a light weight workout prior to lifting heavy weights because i feel that doing so would hinder the amount of effort you are able to put out later in the day.

How much would you have eaten before you begin your light training?

I personally would prefer a heavier workout in the morning, with a lighter one later on in the day, at least 10-12 hours later, but to each his own.

Short Hoss wrote:
Ct. Rockula wrote:
Standard Donkey wrote:
Ct. Rockula wrote:

yes

how would you change it?

That makes no sense. Get your ass out there and try for yourself.

That was 240 before i was struck with a serious illness…and I was not telling him what is too much for him. He asked a simple question and i gave a simple answer which i will explain in a moment. if that is seriously all you had to contribute then i would have suggested not writing anything at all. Ignorance is bliss i suppose…

edit:

Anyways, Op, there were a couple details you left out like:

Why? lol
and How much would you have eaten by the time of commencement?

I just do not see the point of working out the entire body with light weights before lifting heavy weights hours later.

It certainly would make me very tired.
[/quote]

my breakfast is usually 2 cups of green tea, 2 whole eggs,3 egg whites,1 cup of oats, natural peanut butter, a protein shake

I want to do the whole body high rep full body workout in the morning, because my heavy training is high volume with my reps ranging from 6-8, ive done double sessions a few times in the past but they were of the same type like two high weight/low rep sessions in one day for eight weeks then 2 high rep/low weight sessions for eight weeks, i just wanted to see if combining the low volume high rep training in the morning with the high volume training later on would be a benefit

[quote]counterfeitsoda wrote:
I personally would prefer a heavier workout in the morning, with a lighter one later on in the day, at least 10-12 hours later, but to each his own.[/quote]

i would too. but i only have light weight at my apartment,

well do whatever you like. I suppose it should not be too much of a problem as long as you eat enough.

that was just my .02

well do whatever you like. I suppose it should not be too much of a problem as long as you eat enough.

that was just my .02[/quote]

1. cents appreciated

but would you change any of the lifts? i just threw some out there its not set i stone

I would substitute high pulls for curls…that’s all

I would substitute high pulls for curls…that’s all[/quote]

that actually makes alot of sense, i’ll defintely do that

thanks alot man

and your picture is fucking terrifying lol

I’ve been using early morning workouts for the past few months, and I’ve found that working extremities in the AM and everything else later in the day works best for me. So:

Day1 - AM Forearms PM Legs
Day2 - AM Biceps PM Chest
Day3 - Rest
Day4 - AM Triceps PM Back
Day5 - AM Calves PM Shoulders

I’m about to increase the weight and decrease the volume, and I’ll probably cut out the rest day and work the same body part on days 2 and 5.

If you find anything that works better, post it. I’m always looking for a way to progress just a little faster.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
I’ve been using early morning workouts for the past few months, and I’ve found that working extremities in the AM and everything else later in the day works best for me. So:

Day1 - AM Forearms PM Legs
Day2 - AM Biceps PM Chest
Day3 - Rest
Day4 - AM Triceps PM Back
Day5 - AM Calves PM Shoulders

I’m about to increase the weight and decrease the volume, and I’ll probably cut out the rest day and work the same body part on days 2 and 5.

If you find anything that works better, post it. I’m always looking for a way to progress just a little faster.[/quote]

Try this:

Day 1- Back AM Chest PM
Day 2- Biceps/forearms AM Triceps PM
Day 3- Rest
Day 4-Quads AM Hamstrings/Calves PM
Day 5- Delts AM Traps PM

[quote]Short Hoss wrote:

Try this:

Day 1- Back AM Chest PM
Day 2- Biceps/forearms AM Triceps PM
Day 3- Rest
Day 4-Quads AM Hamstrings/Calves PM
Day 5- Delts AM Traps PM

[/quote]

I tried a similar scheme, but the CNS intensive lifting early in the morning wasn’t working for me. I’m about 10% weaker in the morning when it comes to compounds, but no difference on single-joint isolation moves. I need more time to wake up, but I work at 6am. It’s hard enough to get my ass out of bed at 4.

Hijack not intended.

ok, so i got an olypic barbell and 2 45 plates yesterday so im thinking about doing a total body workout three times a week when i wake up say

1 x 20 of squats, 1x15 of curls 1x20 on shoulder press, 1 x 20 on good mornings,1 x 20 of romanian deadlifts

i usually wake up at 530, so do you think this will interfere with my heavy work later in the day at 2 or 3?[/quote]

You know what? I totally missed the part about you only having a bar and 45’s. That sucks.

I don’t know that it will hamper your efforts later in the day, but the biggest question for anything lifting related is “will it help me progress”. In this case, I really don’t think it will.

But if you have extra time in the morning, definitely use it to your advantage. Do your ab work, if any, or rotator cuff and shoulder stability. It could definitely help you progress by allowing you to spend more gym time lifting big, at the very least.