Light-Headed = Low Blood Sugar?

It was tricky trying to find where to post this, but here’s a quick overview:

I use to be ridiculously unhealthy for 19 years.
Then I lost an absurd amount of weight.
Now I’m exercising, heating healthy, blah blah blah.

Problem is, is starting last year (Right around this time, I reckon,) once in a while when I stand up I get extremely light-headed and sometimes feel like I’m going to pass out. If I usually wait about 10 seconds or so, it subsides and I can go back to whatever I was doing.

I always figured it was blood sugar levels. No biggie.

Anyway, it does still happen every once in a while, except on Wednesday, I had done a good leg workout. I went to class after for an hour, and was walking back to my car. On the way back, it felt like all my extremeties were air-like and extremely light. I started sweating profusely, and I almost felt surreal and that I was just sort of floating around.

I figured I’d chalk that one up to blood sugar also.

Well, my dad’s a Type-II diabetic, and last night for shits and giggles I decided to try my blood sugar content… it came at 84. I know it’s not terribly low, but it’s pushing the envelope.

Question is: Do you guys think that what happened to me (including when I stand up every so often) is blood-sugar related, or something else? I’m not looking for a full diagnosis here, and if someone thinks that these are irregular I’ll definitely see a doctor as soon as possible.

Anyway, I wouldn’t mind some feedback as to what the problem may be, and how I can correct it. Keep in mind I’m finishing out this long-ass diet, so my carbs are mostly in the morning and peri-workout early in the day.

How is your water intake, you could have orthostatic hypotension, this is when bp from a lying or sitting position drops upon rising. When you took your glucose were you fasted for 12 hours, and it is not pushing the envelope on low. Try it on a 12 hour fast maybe stop eating four hours before bed, sleep eight hours, then take your glucose upon waking that will give you a better idea. Other than that without a physical examination and vitals and many other things its kind of a shot in the dark.

[quote]SSC wrote:
It was tricky trying to find where to post this, but here’s a quick overview:

I use to be ridiculously unhealthy for 19 years.
Then I lost an absurd amount of weight.
Now I’m exercising, heating healthy, blah blah blah.

Problem is, is starting last year (Right around this time, I reckon,) once in a while when I stand up I get extremely light-headed and sometimes feel like I’m going to pass out. If I usually wait about 10 seconds or so, it subsides and I can go back to whatever I was doing.

I always figured it was blood sugar levels. No biggie.

Anyway, it does still happen every once in a while, except on Wednesday, I had done a good leg workout. I went to class after for an hour, and was walking back to my car. On the way back, it felt like all my extremeties were air-like and extremely light. I started sweating profusely, and I almost felt surreal and that I was just sort of floating around.

I figured I’d chalk that one up to blood sugar also.

Well, my dad’s a Type-II diabetic, and last night for shits and giggles I decided to try my blood sugar content… it came at 84. I know it’s not terribly low, but it’s pushing the envelope.

Question is: Do you guys think that what happened to me (including when I stand up every so often) is blood-sugar related, or something else? I’m not looking for a full diagnosis here, and if someone thinks that these are irregular I’ll definitely see a doctor as soon as possible.

Anyway, I wouldn’t mind some feedback as to what the problem may be, and how I can correct it. Keep in mind I’m finishing out this long-ass diet, so my carbs are mostly in the morning and peri-workout early in the day.[/quote]

I am not a doctor or anything but I had the same feeling when I was trying to drop some body fat. Some of my friends told me that I wasn’t getting enough food period. So I made a minor change by adding A LOT of veggies at night and having two more “meals” in the form of protein shakes at night which pretty much changed my light-headedness.
I fell victim to cutting out too much calories while training hard. Just because everything you eat is healthy doesn’t always mean it is enough to sustain your body. Anyway just my 2 cents.

-Paul

I’m not a doctor, but just think the lightheadedness upon standing thing through-- your blood glucose level is independent of your body position. You said this is happening when you stand up. So unless you’re feeling light-headed ALL the time, it’s not likely to be related to the blood glucose level you took. Also, low levels of blood sugar aren’t necessarily a bad thing. Chronic elevation is not good.

Orthostatic hypotension is likely; it runs in my family, so I’ve had it on and off over the years. Basically your body can’t compensate quickly enough for the position change and doesn’t increase either heart rate or BP in enough time. It’s no big deal and doesn’t reflect much about your health other than that you stood up quick.

We’ve all made ourselves feel weird after leg workouts. Again, if it happened when you HADN’T worked out, then it’s time to worry. Don’t stress, mate. You’re fine.

I get this quite often when i stand up too quickly. I remember mentioning it to someone and they just told me it was because im tall, which in hindsight looks like the less informed version of Orthostatic hypotension. I quite like the feeling personally

When you stand up and get dizzy, that is blood pressure related. If you’re walking around and suddenly get dizzy that is more likely related to blood sugar.

Okay, thanks for the replies guys. This does DEFINITELY happen at other times besides after a workout, so that’s why I was a bit worried.

I’ll monitor some of my numbers over the next few days and see if that changes anything.

Whats your sodium intake like? This happened to me for a long time when I lost a bunch of weight. I thought it had to do with that, but after thinking about it my sodium intake dropped to a very low amount when I stopped eating junk/processed food. My doctor suggested this to me, and it pretty much solved the problem. I just add some sea salt to my meals, or eat some pickles, etc.

[quote]SSC wrote:
I decided to try my blood sugar content… it came at 84. I know it’s not terribly low, but it’s pushing the envelope.
[/quote]

Yes it is pushing the envelope, but a proper functioning body is able to maintain very tight control of its blood glucose levels. 84 really isn’t much to be worried about.

As far as the head rushes go, I get a lot of those too. They are worse if I get sick or am congested. Generally it only occurs after laying down for a while. But I will get up sometimes (especially at night or upon waking) and nearly black out upon standing for a few seconds. Most times I will just lean against the wall or a counter while the rush comes over and I regain my functionality.

The sweating incident sounds a lot like low sugar though. Especially the sweating. How long did it last? Did you drive home? If it happens again you should pick up a glucose meter (you can buy a fabulous small, travel Onetouch device that comes with 10-20 strips for about 25$ now) and test it. If it’s 60 or below then you should go see a doctor, but first remember go eat something so it does not get worse!