Ligers Are Real??

I always thought this was something purely outta Napoleon Dynamite… but it looks like it’s true.

http://www.tigers-animal-actors.com/

I dunno, maybe I’m the only one that cares, but that’s one damn big feline. Info as follows:

"The 10ft Liger who’s still growing…

He looks like something from a prehistoric age or a fantastic creation from Hollywood. But Hercules is very much living flesh and blood - as he proves every time he opens his gigantic mouth to roar. Part lion, part tiger, he is not just a big cat but a huge one, standing 10ft tall on his back legs. Called a liger, in reference to his crossbreed parentage, he is the largest of all the cat species.

On a typical day he will devour 20lb of meat, usually beef or chicken, and is capable of eating 100lb at a single setting. At just three years old, Hercules already weighs half a ton.

He is the accidental result of two enormous big cats living close together at the Institute of Greatly Endangered and Rare Species, in Miami, Florida, and already dwarfs both his parents.

“Ligers are not something we planned on having,” said institute owner Dr Bhagavan Antle. “We have lions and tigers living together in large enclosures and at first we had no idea how well one of the lion boys was getting along with a tiger girl, then lo and behold we had a liger.”

50mph runner… Not only that, but he likes to swim, a feat unheard of among water-fearing lions. In the wild it is virtually impossible for lions and tigers to mate. Not only are they enemies likely to kill one another, but most lions are in Africa and most tigers in Asia. But incredible though he is, Hercules is not unique. Ligers have been bred in captivity, deliberately and accidentally, since shortly before World War II.

Today there are believed to be a handful of ligers around the world and a similar number of tigons, the product of a tiger father and lion mother. Tigons are smaller than ligers and take on more physical characteristics of the tiger."

Kuz

More pics.

Holy mother of God that thing is hyoooooge.

Yeah, there is a face y’all wanna get snuggly with…

One more.

Yes I’ve seen one too. Scarey shit. Next will be a Liuman…Liger and Human…

Wow, he’s beautiful.

Liger tastes kinda’ like chicken, right?

[quote]Neya wrote:
Wow, he’s beautiful.[/quote]

Totally agree - that is an amazing creature.

I seriously doubt he has any bow-staff skills, though…

Good article, cool pics

Not your average house pet there. Beautiful animal.

[quote]Eric Cressey wrote:
Liger tastes kinda’ like chicken, right?[/quote]

LOL!

That’s wild. I had heard of them before Napoleon Dynamite. (Does that movie not ROCK?!?!) But it was in childhood and I only remember the name.

That’s just bizarre.

Have you ever seen a Tiger in real life? They’re so ORANGE. I saw one for the first time at the San Antonio Zoo a couple years ago. I never saw one at Roger williams Park Zoo in New England when I lived in CT.

Ligers are awesome! Gorgeous animal. I first read about this guy in FHM. They used a lot of the same pictures too. Well, off to the bar. Basketball time! (sorry-I’m excited about this game)

[quote]Gothic77 wrote:
Eric Cressey wrote:
Liger tastes kinda’ like chicken, right?

LOL!

That’s wild. I had heard of them before Napoleon Dynamite. (Does that movie not ROCK?!?!) But it was in childhood and I only remember the name.

That’s just bizarre.

Have you ever seen a Tiger in real life? They’re so ORANGE. I saw one for the first time at the San Antonio Zoo a couple years ago. I never saw one at Roger williams Park Zoo in New England when I lived in CT.[/quote]

LOL You know, it’s funny you say that, but you are right… they really are so damn orange!

You lived in the great Nutmeg State? AND YOU LEFT? I did not think it was possible! :wink:

[quote]elevationgain wrote:
I seriously doubt he has any bow-staff skills, though…

Good article, cool pics[/quote]

True, but ya wanna see some bow-staff skills? This kid goes berzerk!!!

http://www.chadhayward.net/videos-098/media.php?movie=angrykid.wmv

I just hijacked my own thread. Nice. I wonder if I could TSB myself too?

[quote]Kuz wrote:
LOL You know, it’s funny you say that, but you are right… they really are so damn orange!
[/quote]

I was amazed!

[quote]
You lived in the great Nutmeg State? AND YOU LEFT? I did not think it was possible! ;)[/quote]

Is that what it was? The Nutmeg State? I had forgotten. LOL! Yeah, I lived in the upper NE corner. About an hour from UConn.

I left because I got married and my hubby is from TX. It’s ok here. Hot as hades, though! And the seasons don’t change. It’s hot and then for about 3 weeks it’s cold. LOL!

I miss my grandparents. They’re in Willimantic, CT.

The hooker and heroine capital of the Northeast. (Not that your parents are into that sort of thing). I’m five minutes from there (Storrs).

[quote]Gothic77 wrote:
I miss my grandparents. They’re in Willimantic, CT.
[/quote]

Know the spot well - not all that far from me (Glastonbury). Don’t worry - it’s still butt-ass cold here in the Winter!

Yes they are real…AND, are bred for their skills in magic. :O)

[quote]Eric Cressey wrote:
The hooker and heroine capital of the Northeast. (Not that your parents are into that sort of thing).
[/quote]

LMAO!!! Nope, maybe back before I was born, but not anymore. :smiley: They’re actually in Lebanon (my moms folks) but when you have to do all your shopping in Willi, what’s the diff? :slight_smile:

Yes, I know! :smiley: I’ve read your articles. :slight_smile:

PLEASE tell me Kathy John’s is still in existence. That was my FAVORITE restaurant. (Although, I suppose their cheddar cheeseburger would now have to be a cheat meal…) I haven’t been there in almost 8 years. sigh