T Nation

Lifts are Stalling and I Don't Know What Routine to Do Anymore

Hey!

Im 18,181cm and 76kg. I’ve been doing 5/3/1 BTM and my lifts are stalling and honestly im tired of this workout plan. I want a change.

I want an intense and athletic routine like 5/3/1. I hate working out and not doing intense workouts or workouts that work on my muscles but not my athleticism (5/3/1 improved my jump,sprint speed, conditioning,etc)

My lifts are:

OHP: 40kg
Bench Press: 65kg
Squat: 90kg
Deadlift: 110kg
Barbell Row: 70kg

As far as I know, BTM (‘Building The Monolith’ I assume) is a high volume 5/3/1 program. Perhaps a more intense program with a bit less volume would be just what the doctor ordered, for example “Limited time widowmaker” for 2 cycles?

What does your recovery look like? Are you following the nutritional guidelines laid out by Jim?

There are hundreds of variations of 531, none of which will work if you don’t take care of recovery.

Just to clarify: I had a spare 5mins so I went back and looked at your history on here. You’re weight is exactly the same in all 3 of your nearly identical threads. Your lifts haven’t increased, and have probably regressed slightly. Every time you’ve been given the same advice by people bigger and stronger than you. Maybe it’s time to start listening?

2 Likes

I think it would be good if you elaborated on this a bit more. How many weeks in on BTM are you? When you say “stalling”, do you mean you are having an issue completing the program (ie. sets and reps) as written?

What are your goals, and are you training specifically for a sport?

How long have you been lifting weights consistently?

Are these your Training Maxes, a 1RM you have actually lifted, or an Estimated 1RM?

Judging by your post history which dagill2 described, your age, your weight, and your lifts I am going to assume your somewhat new to lifting. BTM is a lot to take on for a newer lifter. Its a tonne of work. Which is also why you need to eat properly. I am not sure there are many 18 year olds who have the finanacial capability to eat 1.5 lbs of ground beef a day along with the rest.

Maybe just start with the orginal program for 8-12 months and go from there? Or even a more basic beginner program like Stronglifts 5x5 and transition to 5/3/1 after you have run that to completion?

2 Likes

Im 18yo, my stats are 181cm and 74kg

1RM: OHP: 45kg, Bench Press 70kg, Deadlift 110kg, Squat 95kg, Barbell Row 70kg.

Lately my workouts have been based on 5/3/1 and I would workout 3/4 times a week alternating between 2 routines:

Routine 1:

Bench Press 5x5 (between sets would do pull ups)

Deadlift 5x5 (doing dips between sets)

Barbell Row 5x5

Chest Flies 3x10

Push ups 3x10

Routine 2:

Squats 5x5 (between sets would do dips)

OHP 5X5 (between sets would do pull ups)

Seated Should Press 3x10

Leg Extensions 3x10

Box Jumps 3x10

But i got tired of these routines. My lifts are stalling,im not progressing and im not having fun anymore neither looking forward to my workouts.

What routine would you recommend me? (IM TALKING ABOUT A NEW ROUTINE, DONT JUST TELL ME TO CHANGE UP MY DIET IF YOU ARE GOING TO SAY THAT, IM BORED OF THIS ROUTINE)

What’s your goals? It’s hard to recommend a program when we don’t know your goal.

1 Like

That is in no way similar to 531, unless there’s big details you’ve missed out.

Why don’t you try actual 531, as written by Jim?

Or if you want to switch to another program, what are your goals? And what limits do you have on training in terms of training days/time/equipment?

Oh, and what do you find fun in a program?

3 Likes

No curls, no tricep extensions, nothing for traps, no wonder you’re bored! You could add some beach- muscle stuff for the girls.

When you do five sets of five do you do all 5 sets with the same weight? That can get boring. It can be more exciting to have one or two big sets to focus on and dominate.

Only two different “days” or workouts isn’t much variety. Some guys do well with that, but if you’re training 3-4 days per week you could do push/pull/legs or overhead/squat/bench/deadlift like most of the rest of the world does.

What the other guys said about Goals is important too. What are you trying to accomplish in the gym? Sometimes it’s frustrating to have a routine that “works” but doesn’t improve the stuff you want to improve.

2 Likes
  1. That’s not even close to 5/3/1.
  2. In my limited experience, I’ve found the best routine to make quick progress is the one I’m not doing or have never done. For instance, if I’m grinding to a halt trying to really push the weight on sets of 3-5, I’ll lighten it up and chase reps and volume. When I get back to going heavy for low volume, the next plateau I hit is much higher than the original plateau.
  3. Do some homework and find something you like. I know that sounds dismissive but ultimately it’s on you to figure out what’s fun for you…

…But, here’s something I did recently that I greatly enjoyed. And my work capacity is much higher, and my upper back and legs are noticeably thicker.

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/100-rep-trap-bar-workout

2 Likes

Do 5’s progression (this is a 5/3/1 thing), and you could do an AMRAP set after that but stop when technique breaks down. Add a couple sets of some sort of tricep exercise, I would drop box jumps and leg extensions for leg press or hack squats. If you are going to do box jumps you should do them at the beginning of the workout or you won’t get anything out of them, and it’s questionable whether they actually transfer to squats and deadlifts anyway.

Don’t do this. 10 jumps total is plenty. Do 1-3 at a time (per set).

Try an actual 5/3/1 routine? This works well…

/160ish pounds at 6ft = underweight and should start eating properly

2 Likes

You came here last month, asked this same exact question and ignored everyone that tried to help you

This is a bad hobby for you.

4 Likes

Ah man, I knew i recognised the name. Should have done my background check again.

1 Like

It’s frustrating. I genuinely enjoy helping young people get on the right direction. I get excited at the idea of starting young on the right foot with all the right information and being able to make the most of that part of your life. That was some of the best times in my life. But so many times it’s just kids that are just making posts just to make them.

3 Likes

Or, in this case, to tell us what advice they don’t want. So they can then ignore it? I’m not sure how the process works

Yeah you do: it works poorly.

Careful now, the misanthropic mask is slipping.

Seriously though, you’ve had plenty of impact on lifters through this site and others, you don’t have to let the time wasters effect you.

Don’t get me wrong: I’m not frustrated because they’re wasting my time. I’m frustrated because they’re wasting their potential. Which is the primary cause of my misanthropy.

2 Likes

Winds me up more in work to be honest. Being bad at lifting is really not that much of a drama, being bad at the thing that puts a roof over your head is much more frustrating to watch.