T Nation

Lifting's Effects On Brain?

I was wondering if any of you had any links to articles about how intense lifting might effect the brain. Personal experience and suggestions are welcome aswell.

Yesterday I did some pretty heavy deadlifting followed by some other back work. I went home took it easy and ate well. I went to sleep got a good 8.5 hours of sleep(I may have needed more). Then today I wake up and go to organic chem class. For the most part the class has been flowing and making sense but today I just couldnt maintain focus. I realize I was probably just fatigued but I wonder if there was more to it.

I know that blood pressure can rise signifcantly when lifting. I worry that this may effect my bain.

Do many of you take time off from intense lifting when takeing serious courses?

I can’t provide any articles but I can multiply by 45 like a motherfucker now.

Seriously though, stress is stress. If you spent 5 hours studying for a test and then went to lift… don’t you think you would be a little drained and your performance would be a little worse? It works the other way around too.

Give BCAAs a try, worked for me. Not sure if my mental fatigue was caused more by workouts or from my job (which long hours of concentration).

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
I can’t provide any articles but I can multiply by 45 like a motherfucker now.
[/quote]

Hey me too!

[quote]TheNME wrote:
I know that blood pressure can rise signifcantly when lifting. I worry that this may effect my bain.[/quote]

Just wanted to help you eliminate this one suspect. Although heavy lifting raises the blood pressure significantly, there is a minimal rise, if any, in the skull because of safety mechanisms. Otherwise, all powerlifters would be borderline retards, but that Tate fellow seems pretty smart.

Good luck

If you lift heavy too many times, you will overtrain your CNS. The brain is part of your CNS, so in a sense, you’re overtraining your brain as well.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

i blame orgo.
i understand what they might be saying about cns but i don’t think there’s carryover to your mental faculties. i would guess it’s the amount of glycogen in your blood and if your brain has enough sugar.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]TheNME wrote:

Then today I wake up and go to organic chem class. For the most part the class has been flowing and making sense but today I just couldnt maintain focus. I realize I was probably just fatigued but I wonder if there was more to it.

Do many of you take time off from intense lifting when takeing serious courses?[/quote]

Perhaps the fact that organic chem isn’t always going to flow smoothly and make perfect sense is to blame? Hard subjects are, well, hard.

If you’re taking a summer course, this is doubly so since they’re trying to cram as much stuff as possible in a pretty short period of time. The quicker pace can sometimes be a killer, especially in technical courses like organic chem.

How much I would throttle back my lifting depends on how long the course is. The shorter the course, the quicker the pace, and the more I would shorten my sessions in the gym. When you can’t afford to zone out for even a single class, you need to refrain from really beating yourself up in the gym.

Same reason I really didn’t lift much at all during finals week. I needed my focus elsewhere that week.

I would suggest you still try to lift, because at some point in your life, you’re probably going to have get used to lifting while under stressful conditions.

Diet and lifestyle in general will effect mental acuity much more than lifting weights. Also, I’m admittedly talking off the top of my head here, but I can’t believe any effect at all if there were any would be in only the most extreme cases and would be transitory as well.