Lifting with Retina Issues

This is my first post and I could not find any similar threads on T-Nation or much on the web generally.

I suffer from severe myopia and have had 4 operations for retinal tears because of this. I have just been told I might have another problem developing and, of course, have been told to stop lifting for at least a month while putting drops into my eye to try and reduce inflammation.

I was wondering if anyone else has any knowledge/experience with dodgy retinas and lifting. I am really really fed up as I love my heavy deadlifting, but the doc specifically mentioned the problems that can be caused by the valsalva building up to much pressure in the eye, and I think that partly caused my latest problem. I am also wondering if I am safer longer-term if I always try to ‘relax’ while lifting heavy at the same time! Not sure of this is even possible (or even makes sense), but there is no way I am going to quit lifting.

Like I said any personal stories or info would be much appreciated. I was also wondering about the best way/schedule to preserve muscle for 5-6 weeks, but with minimal physical strain that might affect my eye pressure. I was thinking of a couple of easy sets of chins and dips each week (for upper body), but not sure if that would be enough. Guess I will find out, but I will certainly keep my protein intake high. thanks.

[quote]chigglyboy wrote:
This is my first post and I could not find any similar threads on T-Nation or much on the web generally.

I suffer from severe myopia and have had 4 operations for retinal tears because of this. I have just been told I might have another problem developing and, of course, have been told to stop lifting for at least a month while putting drops into my eye to try and reduce inflammation.
[/quote]

What is the ‘other problem’ you’re developing for which you need anti-inflammatory drops?