I've Got A Bar And I'm Not Afraid To Use It - Pinkylifting Log

Ofcourse, hes a powerlifter bro!

But srs no, I always thought blaha was a clown, because Id seen a total of about 15 seconds of his stuff, then I saw that thread compiling his claims… oh my that was an eye opener.

My back pain flares up just watching Layne squat, he is genuined a not-insignificant part of my motivation to try and squat as vertically as possible.

Think im Going to treat myself to some 1” heel squat shoes for Christmas, Adidas Leistungs are top of the list at the moment.

Romaleos 2 master race here. Think they got cheaper since the 3s came out too.

Leistungs look like something a fuck boy would wear when doing a couples workout with high box squats. Have seen the boa lacing system in action and tried it out tho and its pretty convenient if you are too lazy to tie your shoes laces.

Why heeled lifting shoes? Do you have an issue with flats?

Yea I cantsquat for shit in flats. Only way I can get paralell is with a squat identical to Layne’s.

Aweful ankle mobility and probably other mobility issues too, that I should probably definitely fix in the long run, but even a pair of cheap Do-wins made a huge difference. I do Like Romaleos, are theh 3/4 or 1” drop?

Maybe I like couples workouts :speak_no_evil:

Think its 0,75 tho not sure. That’s plenty tho unless you have a legitimate deformity or your ankle joint or something. There’s literally no one with mobility that fucked up who isn’t deformed, crippled or injured.

TLDR review for the Romaleos 2 built like a tank, will last longer than you do in bed and maybe your whole lifting career depending on how you take care of them, look like they mean business and available in many sexy colours choices, double metatarsal straps for extra locked in feeling, would recommend /10

2 Likes

2” Deficit Sumo Deadlifts (15kg bumpers)
170kg x 7 rpe 7
170kg x 6 rpe 8
170kg x 6 rpe 8.5
170kg x 6 rpe 9

GPP EMOM
Mag Grip Pull-down
80kg x 10
80kg x 10
80kg x 8
80kg x 6
80kg x 6
80kg x 6
80kg x 7

Cable Crunch
90kg x 12
90kg x 10
90kg x 10
90kg x 10
90kg x 10
90kg x 10
90kg x 10

Preacher Curl
35 x 17
35 x 12
35 x 10
35 x 10
35 x 10
35 x 10
35 x 10

4 Likes

I’ve been wanting to try out a pair of heeled shoes for squatting for awhile now, but I was hoping to be able to try out a pair before making the investment. Unfortunately, I only know one other person who lifts and he does not have a pair.

Funny you should mention these shoes, I just saw a pair of these for sale, used, locally for $120 in my size that I was considering. I’m not sure about the 1" heel though, it may be a little aggressive for me as I have only ever squatted in flats.

How wide do you squat?

I’ve read that if you have a wide stance flats are preferable apparently.

I currently squat in Do-wins that have a .75 heel, just fancy something a touch higher. Feel like I could sit in the hole all day if I can just get my posture the tiniest bit more vertical.

I squat high bar, medium(?) width. This year I kind of lost touch with my squat form (knee injury preventing squats ~8weeks, then 5/3/1 cycle with front squats, then ran CT’s Power Look Program which has front squats rather than back squats). So I’m just now reacquainting myself with back squatting.

Last workout was the most comfortable they have felt in the last few weeks of reincorporating them and I was just outside of shoulder width, toes slightly pointed outwards. I don’t think my mobility is terrible.

Actually, you might get a better idea by looking at a vid here of some low box squatting.

1 Like

At that squat width, and I can only speak for myself, I feel a massive advantage wearing proper lifting shoes.

Might not be as easy as trying out a pair of runners but you should probably be able to try out any one the big brands in person e.g. Nike, Adidas, Reebok etc. if you look around.

If you’ve only ever squatted in flats then the transitions probably going to be terrible lel. Be a few weeks at least but afterwards is all good.

Dunno if you’re implying that proper lifting shoes have a degree of heel or nah… but taking the statement as is I’ma agree that a dedicated lifting shoe, whether flat or heeled, makes a huge difference vs other footwear or even barefoot.

The heel itself isn’t anything special unless you’re an oly lifter in which case the better positions you can get into are game changing. Dedicated flat lifting shoes like offerings from Sabo, Metal and other brands are just as good. Different maybe but just as good to lift in. Personal preference in the end but at $100s a pop you better be sure.

Tbh I wear the Romaleos because they are sexy af

1 Like

I appreciate the input!

Yeah, we actually have a Reebok store and an Adidas outlet store in town I should go check out to try them on at least. Maybe see if I can bring my barbell and some plates in and do some squats…

This is something I’m afraid of…

I’m currently using knock off Chucks that were $20 at Wally World a few years ago.

I’m terrible at making these decisions…

I will helps u

If u rich buy everything. If nah make up a list and narrow it down according to pros and cons and what you want.

Cost
Metal Powerlifting Shoes, Titan Powerlifting Shoes and big brand Nike, Adidas and Reebok lifters are gonna blow a sizeable hole in your bank account. Worth it? $200 + for shoes is never worth it but if you don’t mind the money its all good.

Sabo is a Russian brand that makes footwear for powerlifting and won’t blow as big a hole in your savings (if interested go thru MaxBarbell (US) where they are having big sales right now especially for the sabo deadlift). I posted a review on the 2016 version a while back somewhere.

Flats v Heeled
Big decision and contrary to popular opinion trying it out doesn’t really work cos like I said before you need at least a few sessions to get used to it nvm throwing plates under for heels for a few sets with the bar. I’ve seen people have to bail the bar in front of themselves because they went too ham the first session in heels lel.

Probably better to have a think about whether they’ll be useful for you. Like previously mentioned tru wide stance squats don’t mix well with heels. Anything closer and it’ll be fine.

Are you quad dominant/have huge quads or more leg than back in your squat? Do you have issues hitting depth e.g. heels coming off the ground in the hole due to insufficient ankle dorsiflexion? Do you prefer or wish to have a more vertical or as vertical as possible torso angle as possible in the squat or squat in this style i.e. sacrificing some “HIP DRAAHVE” ala Ripptoe in exchange for little chance of getting good morninged the fuck over? Are your current shoes absolute rubbish in comparison to all this sexy gear?

If yes to these then oly lifting shoes may be a good fit for you. Can personally vouch for the Romaleos 2. Literally perfect in every aspect (IMO) but on the high end of cost tho now that the Romaleos 3 are out maybe you’ll find some reduced. Plenty of other good shoes around tho e.g. Adidas Adipowers, Reebok Legacy Lifters, etc.

If nah/not really to some maybe upgrade to a good pair of flat lifting shoes.

1 Like

So it’s that time of year again.

Couldn’t train on Wednesday because it was my wife’s work Christmas party.

Couldn’t train yesterday because it was my work Christmas party.

Today’s sessions is going to be **** because I drank last night.

Also my ass still hurts from deficit deadlifts on Tuesday.

Tempted to postpone the session to tomorrow, but don’t want to drop another day so I’ll work through what I can today and not look too much into the numbers. Maybe more technical focus than all out effort.

Not good enough. Disregard life and relationships and acquire gains.

Sure it’s not from your visit to Bendigo/Dandenong

What numbers are you planning to hit for the meet? Or are you still getting stronger?

2 Likes

Hard to say re: getting stronger.

I like to think I can get stronger, since I’ve only been training with a specific pwerlifting focus for a few weeks, but the meet is not even 3 months away and its not like I wasn’t hitting heavy bench or deadlifts before the switch so no low hanging fruit there.

So realise there is only so much gains you can make in 3 months, especially when Ill be cutting a little.

Ill definitely get stronger on the squat though, just through familiarity, since Ive been squatting for 3 weeks having not squatted for near 3 years. Definitely low hanging fruit there.

If the meet was now, Id open with 180 / 130 / 230 conservative numbers i should never miss and means I hit qualifying total for nationals.

I think I could, on a good day, hit 220 / 160 / 260 but the squat is very much an unknown, bench would be a PR but last weeks 150 felt ok and I’ve hit 260.

Perfect world I hit 222.5 / 162.5 / 262.5, after weighing in at 82.5, and take the amateur national records (for my fed) in all 3 lifts and total. But I suspect those gains while cutting weight might be a touch greedy ha.

3 Likes

Don’t think like that mane. You just holding yourself back. Belief/confidence can make a huge difference. Is possible to get stronger while reducing body weight. There will be a point where the fat loss will start smashing your lifts tho but that’s towards bodybuilder sexy lean.

Nice. You’re talking big shit so ou better back it up. I believe in you. Have some good vibes

1 Like

I think it will be a close thing on how lean I need to get, I need to drop 8kg but I’m only cutting fat until im c. 4-5kg above the class limit, the rest will by glycogen depletion and a mild dehydrate. 2 weeks of full Keto and my scale weight drops 4-5kg already.

In my head I’m absolutely going for the records, don’t worry there :wink: just putting out some faux humility to protect my epeen.

1 Like