I've Got A Bar And I'm Not Afraid To Use It - Pinkylifting Log

here u go. good luck

3 Likes

My 140’s were actually a 4 plate. I was using 15’s :speak_no_evil:

1 Like

:smile: I meant the 20s! It’d save me like 7 lbs for a three plate bench lol

Only if you used a kg barbell aswell

1 Like

Gah! Squats feel like absolute garbage still. Very frustrating. Very weak.

Squat
Mass Reps
110kg 5
130kg 4
155kg 3
155kg 3
175kg 2
175kg 2
175kg 2
175kg 2

Bench Press
80kg 5
100kg 4
115kg 3
115kg 3
133kg 3
133kg 3
133kg 3
133kg 3
133kg 3
133kg 3

Triceps
75kg 10
75kg 10
75kg 10

Front Squat
100kg 5
100kg 5
100kg 5
Abs

1 Like

Deadlift (From Knees Off Blocks)
150kg 4
180kg 3
210kg 3
210kg 3
245kg 3
245kg 3
265kg 3
285kg 3

Pause Dips
Bw 8
Bw 8
Bw 8

Goodmornings (Seated)
40kg 5
40kg 5
40kg 5
40kg 5

Squats still feeling pretty shitty. So I can do 175 doubles with a narrow, medium and wide stance, and they all feel equally shit.

Anyone know of any good exercises to sort out tight hip flexors and/or tight QL? Think one of them might be whats causing hip pain at the bottom of the squat. @khangles @guineapig @gaelic @chris_ottawa?

Bench Press
90kg 5
110kg 4
124kg 3
124kg 3
140kg 2
140kg 2
140kg 2
140kg 2

Squat
110kg 5
132kg 4
154kg 3
154kg 3
176kg 2
176kg 2
176kg 2
187kg 2
187kg 2

Paused Bench Press - No arch
80kg 5
100kg 4
116kg 3
132kg 3
132kg 3
132kg 3

Triceps
75kg 10
75kg 10
75kg 10

Hyperextensions
15kg 8
15kg 8
15kg 8

2 Likes

Have you ever tried the Agile 8 or limber 11 routines working on mobility.

Try google youtube for yoga and hip flexors, might be worth a try

1 Like

I had issues with hip flexors and QL before, what worked best was laying on the floor with my feet up on the couch (legs at 90 degrees, knees bent) and putting a lacrosse ball under my lower back and digging into my hip flexors on the same side simultaneously. Of course do this on both sides. Other that that, I also stretch my hip flexors just about every day. You don’t want to stretch your lower back though, that can cause other problems.

Another thing is fixing whatever is causing the problem in the first place. I found that after high volume lower body workouts if I either went straight to work (where I stand all day) or simply sat down for an hour or more then by the end of the day my back would feel like complete shit. What I started doing is laying down in the same position described above (minus lacrosse ball and theracane) for at least a few minutes, that is a position that reduces spinal compression and it also allows your back/hip muscles to relax. I’m currently peaking for a meet so I’m not doing as much volume and my back feels pretty good, but this seemed to make a noticeable difference.

Also, where exactly in your hip does it hurt when you squat?

Thanks. Ill try the lacrosse ball. Where were you targeting with the lacrosse ball, and were you just using your hands to dig into the hip flexor?

Pain is directly on the side of the hip, as soon as i get near parallel. After the session my hip flexor then hurts for an hour or two when I lift my leg walking.

check this out

And this is what @chris_ottawa is taking about, without the lacrosse ball

2 Likes

I forgot to mention, I was using a theracane on my hip flexors. If you don’t have that or some other sort of massage stick you could use the handle of a screwdriver or something similar. You can use your hands but they will get tired fast.

I was using the lacrosse ball directly on my QL, if you don’t know where it is then look it up, it should be easy to find.

If you have pain on the side of the hip then it could be something else, although QL and hip flexors could still be involved too. I was having issues for a while with my left tensor fascia latae (TFL) which is on the side of the hip towards the front, that could be your problem. Look up 90/90 hip stretch, what I do is rotate my hips back and forth from one side to the other, about 15x for each side. Since I started doing that I haven’t had any problems. I figured out that my hip internal rotation was limited and particularly on the left side, whether that was a result of a tight TFL or the TFL hurt because of limited mobility is not certain but it’s better now.

2 Likes

This is perfect and actually it sounds like I have exactly what you had, left hip and pain is in the TFL so I’ll definitely follow whatever you did to fix it. I’ve added the 90/90 hip stretches to the mobility drills Im going to start doing (hopefully) daily, along with the static sit and lacrosse ball work.

Thanks

1 Like

rehabilitation + hip mobility

It’s fantastic that you posted this. Yesterday we sat in that position during the Stretch & Roll class and my left hip is way too tight. I have some work to do.

@Pinkylifting, I had tightness in my hip flexor and QL before my surgery and it’s still there. I’m not sure how it’s related to my problem (cause, effect, coincidence) but it’s not to be ignored!

No problem, hopefully that will fix it.

So I’m not strong at all but my TFL was giving me problems from my old rugby seasons some 3 or 4 years ago, and only went away when I started doing some glute medius work before training my lower body, on advice from a physio.

Maybe try doing 2-3 sets of 15-20 lateral band walks a go as part of your warm up, it seems to have worked with me.

If you are interested I posted in my log about some guy who made a DIY massage gun. It’s like deep tissue massage on steroids because it like goes faster harder and longer than a person can.

I failed that 90/90 hip exercise miserably on my left side. At least I have a clearly identified problem if not yet a solution.