T Nation

Lifting With Left Palm Disabled

I badly strained a tendon on my finger and will have to wear a splint on it that will prevent me from grabbing a dumbbell/barbell with my left hand for the next 2 weeks.

Any ideas on exercises that I could still perform?

All I could think of was front squats, possibly back squats, calves, maybe some cables (without wrapping around the handle). I would do unilateral work, but my right side is stronger anyway.

[quote]skor wrote:
I badly strained a tendon on my finger and will have to wear a splint on it that will prevent me from grabbing a dumbbell/barbell with my left hand for the next 2 weeks.

All I could think of was front squats, possibly back squats, calves, maybe some cables (without wrapping around the handle). I would do unilateral work, but my right side is stronger anyway.[/quote]

…uuuh, if i were you i wouldn’t do anything stupid that will have something else injured and have more time off. Just take a little breather, we all need a back-off period every once in a while anyway.

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
skor wrote:

All I could think of was front squats, possibly back squats, calves, maybe some cables (without wrapping around the handle). I would do unilateral work, but my right side is stronger anyway.

…uuuh, if i were you i wouldn’t do anything stupid that will have something else injured and have more time off. Just take a little breather, we all need a back-off period every once in a while anyway.[/quote]

The thing is that my past year was “a little breather” and I just recently got back into lifting regularly and I don’t want to lose the momentum/routine. My left hand is not really “disabled” - I just can’t use it to hold dumbbells/barbells.

I asked the doc if I can lift and he said it’s ok as long at I have a splint on.

try the flexsolate lifting straps? you still need to use your hands but not really grip. I’ve considered getting them just to use when my grip gives out.