T Nation

Lifting WIth Kidney Disease?

I am about to receive a kidney which is being donated by my wife. I have been lifting for a few years now, but it kind of slowed me down when I was diagnosed with kidney failure last August.

If you have kidney failure and you are on dialysis, there are many things that you cannot eat that folks in the lifting world consider to be important in body building. Potassium and phosphorus are things that I have to watch presently.

I am allowed 1000 mg of phosphorus and 2400 mg of potassium per day along with 3000 mg of salt. Many people are unaware of it, but the main cause of kidney failure is unrecognized high blood pressure.

I felt bad, so I went to a Prompt Care. The doctor there did some tests on me and sent me immediately to the hospital to be admitted. At that time, my BP was 192/112, and he said that I was in renal failure. I had been to the doctor before for different ailments, and my pressure had never been high like that, or anything close to it.

Phosphorus is in almost everything you eat, but the main things that almost everyone eats that contain it are beans and dairy products. Potassium, most obviously is found in bananas.

However, it is alos found in the following: Apricots, Avacados, Cantaloupe, Dates, Dried Figs, Grapefruit Juice, Honeydew, Kiwi, Mango, Nectarine, Oranges, Orange Juice, Papaya, Pomegranate, Prunes, Prune Juice, Raisins, Acorn Squash, Artichokes, Bamboo Shoots, Baked Beans, Butternut Squash, Refried Beans, Beets, Black Beans, Brocolli,

Brussels Sprouts, Chinese Cabbage, raw Carrots, Dried Beans and Peas, Greens,except Kale, Hubbard Squash, Kohlrabi, Lentils, Legumes, canned Mushrooms, Parsnips, Potatoes (white and sweet), Pumpkin, Cooked Spinach, Tomatoes/Tomato products, vegetable juices, Bran/Bran products, chocolate, granola, milk, molasses, nutritional supplements, nuts and seeds, peanut butter, salt substitutes/Lite Salt, salt free broth and yogurt.

Many of these are still able to be consumed by me, but I am limited to small amounts in some cases, or in some cases, what you have to go through in order to eat them makes them undesirable. For instance, potatoes. I have to peel them, cut them in small pieces and soak them over night, changing the water twice. After all of that, I can have 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes!

If there is anyone out there who is lifting who has had a transplant, I would appreciate hearing from you. As soon as I get a kidney and the doctors tell me that it is okay to lift, I will be doing it. The other thing that I have to say to everyone is get regular checkups and watch yuour blood pressure. You don't want these problems.