Lifting with Chostochondritis

To anyone who can help. I have been dealing with costochondritis on and off for about 3 months now. Chostochondritis is essentially inflammation of the cartilidge that connects the sternum to the ribs. I have tried almost everything and can not seem to get rid of it.

Originally tried to work around it, then after it wasn’t going away decided to get an official diagnosis and was given anti inflammatories, went back to the doctor and was given methylprednisolone, after that didn’t work I decided to rest completely for the last 4 weeks and that hasn’t worked. I am at my wits end. I’m contemplating working through the pain as nothing seems to be working. Has anyone else delt with this or overcome it? you’re help would be greatly appreciated.

Check your thoracic mobility

[quote]jcg32090 wrote:
To anyone who can help. I have been dealing with costochondritis on and off for about 3 months now. Chostochondritis is essentially inflammation of the cartilidge that connects the sternum to the ribs. I have tried almost everything and can not seem to get rid of it.

Originally tried to work around it, then after it wasn’t going away decided to get an official diagnosis and was given anti inflammatories, went back to the doctor and was given methylprednisolone, after that didn’t work I decided to rest completely for the last 4 weeks and that hasn’t worked. I am at my wits end. I’m contemplating working through the pain as nothing seems to be working. Has anyone else delt with this or overcome it? you’re help would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

Hey jcg32090,

Not to disappoint you, but it took me over a year + to get rid of my case of costochondritis. However I was able to train a month later with variations (1-2 board press/floor press instead bench and most importantly I lowered the volume and percentages) and two months later I could train normally. The first month was the worst and I couldn’t do any pressing movements at all.

At this time I was too very frustrated and visited my local Chiro, and after his examination my 4/5th ribs were out place, which didn’t allow the ribs to rise and lower properly during inhalation/exhalation which caused the inflammation. He did a few adjustments to put the ribs back in place and also did some ART on my pec to release pec minor.

I went to a general MD - they gave me some anti-inflammatory too, but I did not feel they helped, which was probably because my ribs were out of place.

Although I was able to resume normal training 2 months later (benching to chest)- I couldn’t do parallel bar dips/any fly movements till a year later without any discomfort. During that year I would get a flare up here and there if my volume for pressing movements were to high. All I would do was take 2 Aleeve (500mg naproxen) and Ice my sternum 10 mins on 10 min off, alternating with heat and in a few days I was ready to go again. This was 2 years ago and very rarely I sometimes feel that pain when doing dips at the bottom of the movement, but other than that I’m all good now.

My suggestions are:
-see a chiro as its possible you have the same thing going with your ribs
-modify your lifts to avoid aggravation (generally rehab principle)
-hot and cold
-lower the volume when you are able to train normally again so you don’t go backwards
-like the other guy said - work on thoracic mobility (extension and rotation) as generally everyone has bad thoracic mobility from sitting for prolonged periods of time. Just youtube thoracic ext/rot drills/exercises and I think you will be good to go.

I hope this helps, and I know it sucks - but you will get better.