Lifting with an Inguinal Hernia

Hello all,
I have an inguinal hernia. It does not hurt and I am just saying, fuck it, and continuing to lift. I would like to know if anyone personally has lifted for an extended period of time with any significant weights, 2x or more bodyweight squat and dead with an inguinal hernia.

Not to be blunt but to everyone and anyone reading this who wishes to share anecdotal tales of what their cousin did or what they have heard, I do not care at all. I only want to know if anyone reading personally has lifted with an inguinal hernia and what their results were in the long term.

Thanks

I’ve been lifting with one for a couple years now. It doesn’t bother me and I wouldn’t have known I had one unless the doctor told me. My stats are 50 years, 6’ 2", 180lbs, squat 350lbs, deadlift 455 lbs. One thing my doctor told me to be careful of is holding your breath when squatting or pulling. I ignore this advice and it hasn’t been a problem.

4 posts in 7 years. Fucking awesome.

at age 47 I found out I had my second hernia . I continued to deadlift ( not quite to 2x B.W. at the time ) for almost a year . finally got spooked and got it fixed . dont think continuing to pull had any negative consequences , as recovery was swift . I was back in the gym for floor presses in about 2 weeks . started bare-bar squatting at about 3 and a half weeks . pretty sure I was back to heavy triple territory in about 14 weeks .

[quote]jimbo123 wrote:
I’ve been lifting with one for a couple years now. It doesn’t bother me and I wouldn’t have known I had one unless the doctor told me. My stats are 50 years, 6’ 2", 180lbs, squat 350lbs, deadlift 455 lbs. One thing my doctor told me to be careful of is holding your breath when squatting or pulling. I ignore this advice and it hasn’t been a problem.[/quote]

This is my exact experience: had a colonoscopy, which led to them saying I had one. Hasn’t been an issue at all. 205lbs, squat in the low 400s for reps. No issues (knock on wood).

[quote]xelA wrote:
Not to be blunt but to everyone and anyone reading this who wishes to share anecdotal tales of what their cousin did or what they have heard, I do not care at all. I only want to know if anyone reading personally has lifted with an inguinal hernia and what their results were in the long term.Thanks[/quote]

lmao… nice man…

Get the surgery as soon as possible. I registered for this site after a couple years of lifting with one, and to be honest I wish I had gotten my right side patched up with kevlar sooner. I had three tears by the time the surgery was done. It’s not fun to deadlift and have to push one of your testicles out of your abdomen between sets.

There’s a big chance I have or will have a hernia on my left side, and if that happens I’ll get the surgery ASAP.

Thanks for all of the replies, have any of you who did get it repaired have it done without mesh. I originally had mesh, my body hated it, had it removed and was fine and now bernie the hernie is back in action. Does everyone here have the mesh monster?

Thanks,

Also, it sounds like those of you who have hernias didn’t much notice them. Mine is about the size of a deviled egg when it’s at its baddest. Anyone have anything comparable to that? I mainly want it to remain north of the border and not go down into my satchel if you know what I mean.

Thanks,

I had one for about six months, it wasnt bad for awhile, I had a jockstrap looking torture device gizmo that i used when it started heading south of the border, once that started happening it got painful. Had surgery with the mesh deal and i’ve been great since.

Thanks man, I think mine is headed downtown too. I’m not getting mesh again this time though, so we’ll see how it goes and holds up moving forward.

lol I noticed mine when my right testicle was missing from my ballsack and I had to push it down into it again. I’m honestly not sure how strong the repair is without the mesh. I think you’d have to talk to your doctor about heavy lifting and a sew job.

Mine hurts a little from time to time while lifting, but otherwise doesn’t bother me.

Just get it fixed. Had mine repaired 6 years ago and was back lifting within a week. Pull without any pain or problems since.

So it’s been about 5 years xelA, how have you progressed? I’m currently dropping fat weight before I go for a dbl. inguinal hernia repair.Currently working out w/o any problems though I’m not deadlifting. Occasionally feel a light pain after working legs & doing planks. Had inguinal repair done with mesh, which tore again & now the other side needs repair. Did you have repair with mesh or what type of material? How have you been since?

I know this conversation is a year old but just so newbies are reading. I’ve had a hernia for almost a year, I’m 37, 6”2 and weigh 105kgs, currently deadlifting 300kgs, 661 pounds, does it hurt in my stomach, hell yeah, with that amount of weight, will I back out of a comp, hell no , but there definitely feels weak there for sure, just on the long public waiting list to get it repaired, but yes you can lift if your strong enough and your form is solid.

I was just about to start a thread when I saw this bump. I got diagnosed yesterday with an inguinal hernia. I was doing some heavy rack pulls 3 days ago and felt a sharp pain near my groin. The doc said the hernia is too small to consider surgery and to just monitor the situation and basically stop lifting heavy things from now on.

Is anyone else in this situation? Most advice I’ve read are from people who have had the surgery. I read that hernias do not generally heal themselves, but you can build your abdominal muscles to strengthen the area. What kind of exercises are you supposed to do to strengthen an inguinal hernia area? I also found comments from guys who mention the “stomach vacuum” technique when lifting. Is this a real thing?

I’m at a real loss on what to do now. Would like to continue lifting, but don’t want to exacerbate my condition.