T Nation

Lifting With a Shoulder Injury

I’ve done some reading and I now know what I can do to help fix my shoulder injury, but i still want to be able to lift weights while i’m recooperating.

Are rows ok? Dips? Deadlifts? What else is ok that won’t make it worse? it hurts in the front part of the shoulder

Depends on the injury. There is a great deal of info like this on elitefts. go to the Q and A section.

[quote]Hawkson101 wrote:
I’ve done some reading and I now know what I can do to help fix my shoulder injury, but i still want to be able to lift weights while i’m recooperating.

Are rows ok? Dips? Deadlifts? What else is ok that won’t make it worse? it hurts in the front part of the shoulder[/quote]

You are taking a big chance and for what reason? Let yourself heal and then start slowly and work your way back.

That being said, I don’t know the extent of your injury. I guess if it doesn’t hurt-do it, but I would be very leary. Especially with dips or any other exercise that has that big of an impact on the shoulder girdle.

Yes, I’m wondering also… chronic/ overuse injury or acute trauma? Nutritional strategies and rehab would differ.

Hawk, you need a medical diagnosis, it’s as simple as that. The nature and severity of the injury determines what you can and can’t do with the injury…

[quote]Hawkson101 wrote:

Are rows ok? Dips? Deadlifts? What else is ok that won’t make it worse? it hurts in the front part of the shoulder[/quote]

Last week i was playing with my shoulder and rotating it in and out very fast in a circle. It felt wierd and cool so i kept doing it. Hmmm. In retrospect, it wasn’t that cool, and it wasn’t that wierd.

I am in the same boat, having dislocated my shoulder 3 weeks ago. I am back to lifting light,low volume, slow and very controled. I just do a two to three sets of anything and leave it alone, but if it hurts even a little, I don’t do it. Shoulder presses are out, dips are definately out, flys are out, etc. I have done an ass load of cardio and legs. It seemed like a good time to strengthen that part of me. So that’s what I am doing, I return to the orthopedist on may 4, at which point I will ask for some drugs to speed healing. I don’t think he is used to treating anybody who uses their limbs for more than a beer holder. He had the typical answers for my questions which was don’t do shit and leave it in a sling for two weeks. That was the wrong answer.