Lifting With a Herniated Disc

I have a herniated disc in the C6 and c7 vertebrae. I have never really had much pain but I did have a functional muscle loss on my left side especially in my chest, shoulder and arm. After talking to 2 neural surgeons I decided not to have surgery at this time.

I just never had any advice as far as what exercises to do and what to avoid when it comes to a herniated disc. So far I just don’t do anything that causes casues pain in that area. I have heard to avoind squats, but squatting doesn’t hurt. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

[quote]pwrhouss wrote:
I have a herniated disc in the C6 and c7 vertebrae. I have never really had much pain but I did have a functional muscle loss on my left side especially in my chest, shoulder and arm. After talking to 2 neural surgeons I decided not to have surgery at this time.

I just never had any advice as far as what exercises to do and what to avoid when it comes to a herniated disc. So far I just don’t do anything that causes casues pain in that area. I have heard to avoind squats, but squatting doesn’t hurt. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

I have an L5S1 herniated disc. I was told that a) I shouldnt lift b) That I wouldnt be able because the pain would be too much. BULLSHIT. The only way I was able to fix my back was to strengthen all the muscles in my back (especially lower where my herniation is) and legs. I attribute strengthening my glutes and errector spinae to my pain free life. The theory is if you strengthen those muscles they will handle more load than the disc itself…

My advice is to sllowwwllly strengthen those muscles, listen to your body (if it hurts-bad pain-then stop) and be consistent. Today I live pain free and at one time I’d never thought the pain would go away. Good luck bud…if you want any other info about my personal battle with a herniated disc just pm me.

I very recently herniated C5/C6/C7. I too have neural deficit on the left side with atrophy of my left forearm, upper arm, and lat. I only took off one week from the gym!

I purchased a NeckPro traction device. Used it each day for 15-30 min. Used anti-inflammatories conservatively, iced the area after workouts. Also very carefully started at 25lbs on the neck machine, now have worked up to 70lbs for 4x15 each way. Now 7 months later I am 97% pain-free. Unfortunately my left side is still weaker and slighly smaller than my right. Still, no pain and no surgery! Good luck