Lifting with a Broken Hand

I broke a metacarpal (the bone on the top of my hand yesterday) in a rugby game yesterday.

Now since I’m going to be in a cast for the next few weeks and unable to play I want to at least lift.

Is there any way I would be able to workout with a broken hand? I can only think of doing machine based leg work (leg press, leg curl, calf raise).

Do you guys have any other suggestions? Anything would help.

bro, just chill, run and keep your diet clean

I have a broken hand right now too and i was tryna firgure out a way to lift, but decided against it because i didnt want to work one groups for weeks while the others got no stimulation, ya kno,

you can do that machine lateral raise thing where the pads rest on your elbows…

you could do hyprextensions for back.

ab stuff

legs

thats all i got…

how long is it going to take to heal?

Hip belt squats?

[quote]Standard Donkey wrote:
you can do that machine lateral raise thing where the pads rest on your elbows…

you could do hyprextensions for back.

ab stuff

legs

thats all i got…

how long is it going to take to heal?[/quote]

I would do the lateral raises, if my school gym had that machine

and it’s apparently going to take 6 weeks.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Hip belt squats?[/quote]

I would love to…if I had that available to me.

Thanks guys

I had a broken knuckle 2 years ago. Its a real bitch to work around.

Standard donkey gave some good ideas, you can also try some smith squats.

Layne Norton did smith squats with a torn pec and his arm in a sling. I think with some creativity you can still manage to do a few things.

I would recommend against just chilling.

Even if you just did heavy leg presses you would at least keep your body in an anabolic state of growth. people do squat only routines all the time.

At the very least you will keep your legs [most important aspect for footy i would say] in good shape. At best you will keep the anabolic hormones in your body going strong and helping maintain the muscles that are not being worked.

If i were you [and i have been w/ fucked hand, ankles, shoulders etc.] I would do as much as i could. Lots of leg press, hypers, GHR and calf work. It’s also a good time to get your jump work going and speed stuff done.

Another great idea is to use the “Zercher” arm cradle position to get Good mornings and squats done.

A good time for training with machines.

Think about the weight, strength, athleticism you will lose if you dont train. you might not even be footy worthy afterward, essentially prolonging the injury because you cant return.

-chris

One armed deadlifts and one armed snatches!

Make sure the cast is the water resistent one. I had a regular cast when I broke 4th and fith metacarpal in my right hand sparring and that shit got so nasty after a week of cardio and leg training.

One arm deads are good (I still do em) and utilized my time getting my cardio straight. Some of the hammerstrength chest machines can be used depending how your cast is set(used my palm to push)… just experiment and get the water cast… alot of machines can be used wit your palm.

[quote]Avocado wrote:

Even if you just did heavy leg presses you would at least keep your body in an anabolic state of growth. people do squat only routines all the time.

At the very least you will keep your legs [most important aspect for footy i would say] in good shape. At best you will keep the anabolic hormones in your body going strong and helping maintain the muscles that are not being worked.

If i were you [and i have been w/ fucked hand, ankles, shoulders etc.] I would do as much as i could. Lots of leg press, hypers, GHR and calf work. It’s also a good time to get your jump work going and speed stuff done.

Another great idea is to use the “Zercher” arm cradle position to get Good mornings and squats done.

Think about the weight, strength, athleticism you will lose if you dont train. you might not even be footy worthy afterward, essentially prolonging the injury because you cant return.

-chris[/quote]

i like this, but i sprint and i am definitely getting leaner, spriniting/stair running is anabolic for sure

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
Avocado wrote:

-chris

i like this, but i sprint and i am definitely getting leaner, spriniting/stair running is anabolic for sure
[/quote]

Yeah sprinting is hella anabolic, esp for your quads and especially for the rectus femoris. After doing a sprint program for 3 weeks my rectus stuck out like fuck after the sprints all pumped up and shit.

But the thing is that the OP is a footy man and/or a rugger. Dunno if your’ve played rugby before but there is one thing you gotta be, strong as fuck. If you aren’t you’ll get hurt, be slow, get cut.

So our man has to make sure he keeps his legs in some good fucking shape and keeps his eating up. But he cant get to being a little fatty either. So the double and single leg pressing will go a long way to keeping him in rugby shape and not looking like a soccer player.

hack squat machines are good too. You just cannot think of hard injury [as in broken bone] time as down time. You have to think of it as an opportunity. This is his opportunity to focus on the legs and lower back and get way fucking stronger.

There are pretty much only two ways to come out of this cast/injury. You can come out and get benched for having fallen out of condition… or you can come out ready to fucking SMASH some poof right in the liver at top speed!

If he were to avoid some machine based training [this IS what they are there for IMHAO] the poof would be smashing him.

-chris

Yeah I can’t sit still for 4 weeks. I’m not worried about speed, to be honest I’m really fast. I turned down a d1 track scholarship.

I’m going to leg press, leg curl, run and d ab work.

Thanks again guys.

I’ve had a broken 4th(ring finger) metacarpel for the last 4 weeks. 3 days after surgery I was front squatting. I’ve been front squating mon wed fri and doing 1 armed press/rows tues/thurs since then.

1 arm deadlifts

AW DUDE WAS IN UR EXACT POSITION! i broke i think the same bone as u docter called it a ‘boxers fracture’. broke it on tha back of this dudes head. n e way. i did legs hardcore. did light bis. culd only hold 15 pounds did lots of reps. managed to shoulder press actually ha. focus on what u can do n bring those areas up. legs. calves. abs. cardio if ur husky. Used the PEC DEC machine thats a good one. it really set me back thats not fun.

i think that one arm deaflift thing was a joke. (dont)

[quote]rogueathlete79 wrote:
i think that one arm deaflift thing was a joke. (dont)[/quote]

Maybe he meant suitcase deadlifts?