T Nation

Lifting & Wisdom Teeth Removal

Im getting my wisdom teeth removed soon and I was wondering… can I lift about 2 days after the surgery? And i’ve been making a lot of gains this past month or two… will my gains be thrown away because of this? What types of things should I eat/drink after the surgery to help keep my gains? Olive Oil… creatine… is there anything else that is high in calories or that will help??

Thanks

When my wisdom was removed, I was working out in about 4-5 days after they got pulled. Seriously, don’t go right after, you’ll have 4 big, loose blood clots floating in the corners of your mouth. I lost weight despite my best efforts, like 5lbs in water and whatnot, but regained it within a week or two.

I was taking gainer shakes by the pound, scrambled eggs, smoothies, high-fat yogurt, etc.

I’ll guarentee you’ll feel fine and able to eat for a day or two afterwards, but don’t down chinese food 5 hours after surgery like I did… I didn’t stop bleeding for a week or two.

Every once in awhile everyone has to take a week off of training. I suggest training hard up to this point and making this your week off.

Depending on your recovery you could feel better within a few days, but sometimes it will take longer. Personally took me a little longer because the dentist I had used stitches that are supposed to dissolve after awhile. They partially dissolved and broke the first day I had them, which caused the wound to not heal very well. I also got a little bit of an infection. Had juice oozing out of the wounds that tasted quite a bit like extremely rotten turkey meat. Was extremely painful, and as a result my sleep suffered.

Key thing training-wise is to make sure you supply yourself with alot of calories while you’re out, so you don’t lose too much weight. You probably won’t be 100% for a few extra days after you feel fine, so as i said you might as well take a week off during this period. It won’t affect your gains much at all to train those few extra days.

Agreed. Sit around and do nothing for a week. Get as much nutrition in your gut as you can handle.

When you get back to the gym, go a little light (75% maybe) for that first few workouts. Second or third week back, you’ll probably surpass current numbers.

LA

[quote]LiftingIsLife wrote:
What types of things should I eat/drink after the surgery to help keep my gains? Olive Oil… creatine… is there anything else that is high in calories or that will help??

Thanks[/quote]

As far as the nutrition goes…

Protein shakes, maybe?
Wacky idea, I know…

If you keep your nutrition in tact, dont worry about losing lean muscle tissue. Any BW lost will be retained water and other bodily waste.

Same. Had 3 days off, got extra sleep and food in, worked out for about 3-4 days after at a good rate but not as hard, then a week afterwards was back to normal stuff.

I had mine taken out in December and there was no way I could lift(with any intensity at least) for well over 1.5 weeks. I ripped stitches out helping carry a TV, much less 400+ lb rack deads and incline presses till my eyes were blood shot. You will have to decide for yourself when you are ready to come back but don’t let yourself get discouraged. This is 4-14 days of a lifetime pursuit(at least according to your name) so try not to worry too much about it.

Eat what you can, try to keep your protein high with shakes and whatever else you can comfortably can. Milk, oils, ben and jerrys(kidding, somehwat) whatever you can eat is your best shot. I’d take crap food over no food any day.

Protein shakes with fruit, olive oil, cottage cheese, yogurt, milk etc. in them

Funny, I’m getting mine out a week from today.

When are you getting yours out?

Sucks cause I’ll be home for spring break and I already miss my gym back home. Now I’ll be close and won’t even really get to train there.

Not to mention you will be on some sort of pain killer, and may be a little loopy the first couple of days. Also, lifting increases blood flow which could pop those stitches right out.

Yea guys I think I am in the same boat. I will either be getting them out in a couple weeks or over the summer.
(I havent had the evaluation yet so I dont know if I will need it…I just know its standard protocol nowadays to get them removed)

The sucky part is that you cannot eat for 8 hours prior to the surgery. Im thinking get the first appt. that way I can just have pre-bed meal… wake up have bcaa’s…

Im still waiting to hear if I can have liquids before surgery.
we shall see. That will affect how I supplement around the procedure

What are you guys planning?

I didn’t get loopy off the T-3’s, and I doubt they’d give you anything stronger than that. I stopped taking them after 2 days, the pain really isn’t bad after a short while, as you learn to ignore it.

Alright, thanks. Being hopped up on the vicadin all the time wont affect anything?
Most my friends were prescribed that so i’d assume that will be what im prescribed.

Like others said, whatever you lose will come right back real fast. Enjoy the vicadin. There’s a reason House loves that shit.

Slightly off topic, do you really need them removed? Haha don’t mean to stir things up right before you go in, but I never got mine removed and I’m still alive and kicking.

[quote]Natural Nate wrote:
Like others said, whatever you lose will come right back real fast. Enjoy the vicadin. There’s a reason House loves that shit.

Slightly off topic, do you really need them removed? Haha don’t mean to stir things up right before you go in, but I never got mine removed and I’m still alive and kicking.[/quote]

I am assuming the OP has his wisdom teeth impacted, in which case the only way out is to get them removed.

Bit off topic:
I read somewhere that wisdom teeth needed to be removed by modern humans because our shrunken jaws (compared to previous humans) couldnt make space for these. Does that mean people with bigger jaws dont need them removed? just throwing this out there.

You are correct, based on what my dentist told me. Some people have a smaller internal jawsize which causes the new wisdom teeth to grow crooked and cut the palate, gums etc and often go through hell during each new “break-in” period. AFAIK the only time you ever need to get them removesd is if they’re growing badly due to smaller jaw-size or whatever OR if theyre impacted.

[quote]ahzaz wrote:
Bit off topic:
I read somewhere that wisdom teeth needed to be removed by modern humans because our shrunken jaws (compared to previous humans) couldnt make space for these. Does that mean people with bigger jaws dont need them removed? just throwing this out there.[/quote]