T Nation

Lifting While Sore from Not Working Out

I like to stay pretty busy doing such things construction on my house, shoveling dirt and rocks around in my back yard, playing sports, etc.

Here’s my dilemma; I also love to weight train and I’m not sure if I should workout when I’m super sore from shoveling dirt or playing sports.

Basically my shoulder starts to hurt from shoveling to the point where it hurts to raise my arm up all the way. Should I be bench pressing, etc in that condition or should i allow my shoulder to stop hurting before hitting the iron? I’ve worked through it often enough and it doesn’t seem to cause damage…

i mean, if it doesn’t hurt, then it shouldn’t be a bad thing.

however, you’re not going to be able to put out your max effort.

if you have the opportunity to rest and recover before lifting, i would highly suggest you do so.

Being on the same boat, I find that taking a nap that can range from 20min-2hrs helps me feel rejuvenated enough to function and in conjunction with heavy stimulant abuse primes me for my training. Whether its 6PM or 2AM, Ill be in the rig heading towards the Gold’s.

I guess I don’t want to use being sore from my hobbies as a crutch to not workout, at the same time I want to make sure I’m recovered enough to workout.

It’s weird how one thing affects the other.

[quote]adamhum wrote:
I guess I don’t want to use being sore from my hobbies as a crutch to not workout, at the same time I want to make sure I’m recovered enough to workout.

It’s weird how one thing affects the other. [/quote]

Power nap, and caffeine. Good to go.