T Nation

Lifting Weights & Running

Im a 6'1 slim athlete & weigh 155 who loves to run track,cross country, & play soccer. i been concerned about my strength so i started to workout 3 weeks ago.. i just wanted to know if it can benefit me by running longer and faster.. i really wanna gain muscles & be able to run a sub 50 in the 400.. what workouts should i mainly focus on?? Im very ambitious to change my physical appearance to benefit me in any way. Any tips???!

You can read alot on this site & others about the big 3.

Do Squats, Bench & Dead Lift 2 or 3x a week. I like the order as written. Start light and work up in weight. Keep a log. Do it for a few months see how it works for you. You’ll also have to eat more to gain muscle and get your protein intake to at least 1 gram per pound of LBM.

OP,

Maybe look into “Westside for Skinny Bastards” training program. I thikn that this program may be something you are looking for. I would most probably recommend the 3 day a week “in-season” for yourself.

Uncle Bird.

tweet

Before I started lifting I ran quite a bit. It was normal for me to be sore for a day or two after a run.

After I started lifting, especially after I started doing squats, deads, and lunges, I no longer was sore after my runs. The heavy legwork in the gym really helped my running which was really unexpected.

With that workload and your current weight, expect to eat, and eat a lot. And then eat more. If you’re eating good food, you should be eating so much that people comment on it.