Lifting vs. Getting Pregnant (Ladies, Please Help Me)

[quote]ThePerfectDrug wrote:

[quote]veggiestrong wrote:
Don’t women sometimes use a squatting technique while giving birth?! Seems to me that it would be a good idea to practice ahead of time.
[/quote]

This always seemed more reasonable to me than that lying on your back with your legs up in the air like a stripper on stage bullshit. Seems like you might want gravity’s help for this one…[/quote]

The position of women during labor, on back with legs in stirrups, is for the convenience of the doctor and actually makes the birthing process more difficult for the women.

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:

[quote]ThePerfectDrug wrote:

[quote]veggiestrong wrote:
Don’t women sometimes use a squatting technique while giving birth?! Seems to me that it would be a good idea to practice ahead of time.
[/quote]

This always seemed more reasonable to me than that lying on your back with your legs up in the air like a stripper on stage bullshit. Seems like you might want gravity’s help for this one…[/quote]

The position of women during labor, on back with legs in stirrups, is for the convenience of the doctor and actually makes the birthing process more difficult for the women.[/quote]

Good to know that squatting will not be only helpful when using dirty restrooms.

I believe the rule of thumb is that it’s unwise to BEGIN any serious training after becoming pregnant. That being said, I can’t imagine squatting/DLing/benching heavy too far into a pregnancy because of loosening ligaments, wonky balance issues, and the general cumbersomeness that comes with being pregnant.

Regarding giving birth in the squatting position, I had two natural childbirths (no drugs, no monitors) and found that position to be excrutiating and unmanageable during transition/pushing. I elected to give birth on my back. To each her own, I suppose.

OP, in case this wasn’t clear, many women would consider one real pushup one hell of an accomplishment. Pregnant or not (but probably not)

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
I believe the rule of thumb is that it’s unwise to BEGIN any serious training after becoming pregnant. That being said, I can’t imagine squatting/DLing/benching heavy too far into a pregnancy because of loosening ligaments, wonky balance issues, and the general cumbersomeness that comes with being pregnant.

Regarding giving birth in the squatting position, I had two natural childbirths (no drugs, no monitors) and found that position to be excrutiating and unmanageable during transition/pushing. I elected to give birth on my back. To each her own, I suppose.[/quote]

I think it depends on your labour. I spent mine on my hands and knees and found being on my back to be the worst.

I did a lot of body weight squats while pregnant and I credit that with my excellent flexibilily in lifting now.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

Regarding giving birth in the squatting position, I had two natural childbirths (no drugs, no monitors) and found that position to be excrutiating and unmanageable during transition/pushing. I elected to give birth on my back. To each her own, I suppose.[/quote]

I think it depends on your labour. I spent mine on my hands and knees and found being on my back to be the worst.

I did a lot of body weight squats while pregnant and I credit that with my excellent flexibilily in lifting now.[/quote]

I never lifted before my kids were born, but I was athletically fit. I gave birth to my daughter in a squatting position with the help of a midwife. All she needed was a catcher’s mitt. I had to be on my back in the hospital when my twin boys were born, just in case I needed a C-section, but I managed to push them both out within 11 minutes of each other when I saw the Dr. waving the scalpel around. I’m glad I’m old and don’t have to worry about that anymore.

But it’s surprizing how many times I’ve heard my uterus will fall out from heavy exercise. Still cracks me up.

Lifting can only do a woman’s body good. Being strong prepares her for a better pregnancy, easier birth, and healthier children.

Nevermind. I don’t care.lol