T Nation

Lifting Straps I've Never Seen

I was watching a strongman contest on OLN and all the deadlifters were using the usual straps that you tighten around your wrists and then wrap around the bar.

This one guy, a Russian I’ve never heard of, used a single loop type strap that went around his wrist once then he wraped it around the bar and then put his hand through the loop on the other side of the bar and away he went. They looked pretty darn old-skuel and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about them.

I think we need a better explanation or a pic.

Are you talking about the figure 8 straps? Basically just two loops joined together. I have a pair of these and have been using them for ages. I only really use them for shrugs though.

Not seen anyone use them ‘in real life’ but you can buy a looped strap that looks sort of triangular, this is a pic.

[quote]Old Dax wrote:
Not seen anyone use them ‘in real life’ but you can buy a looped strap that looks sort of triangular, this is a pic.
[/quote]

Those ones are great for doing snatches (and variations) with. They’re short, so if you have to bail behind your head, they will actually come off the bar instead of breaking your wrists.

I know the ones the OP is on about.

V hard to describe, but ive seen them in a vid on youtube. Ill post if i can find them

I’ve been using this type of strap for years. I’ve used the standard ones before, but I prefer using “loops”.

Mine are homemade. I just cut a karate belt to a specific length and had it sewn. Figuring out the right length could take some playing around and depends on the thickness of the material and the size of your wrists. I believe mine are 22" long. The ends overlap about 1.5" where they are sewn together.

Using the straps can also be a little tricky at first, but they have never failed me.

Steve

[quote]Mister T. wrote:
Those ones are great for doing snatches (and variations) with. They’re short, so if you have to bail behind your head, they will actually come off the bar instead of breaking your wrists.[/quote]

Not quite sure how that would work. When we use “loops”, we are pretty much tied to the bar.

Steve

APT makes several types…

http://www.prowriststraps.com/loop_straps

i’m confused. i thought these were the straps the OP is talking about: http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/12398

Thanks for the replies. The “Warrior” straps from ATP look esactly like the ones I saw the strongman deadlifting with. Those ones that Lee Priest uses look really good too.

I used to use those things but didn’t like them much.

Now I am using the Ironmind straps and I really like them

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1239

Can easily adjust tension. Can disengage from bar easy in emergency or between sets. Me like them mucho

[quote]Old Dax wrote:
[/quote]

I’ve tried this style, but I didn’t like it. It just felt like the heel of my hand was too loose. Where as with normal straps the heel of your hand is held tighter to the bar.

How do you use the figure 8 APT straps?

[quote]magicmuscle wrote:
Mister T. wrote:
Those ones are great for doing snatches (and variations) with. They’re short, so if you have to bail behind your head, they will actually come off the bar instead of breaking your wrists.

Not quite sure how that would work. When we use “loops”, we are pretty much tied to the bar.

Steve[/quote]

I was talking about the straps that…I…quoted.