T Nation

Lifting Soreness & Sports

I usually lift on Sundays (and Wed & Fri) and play intramural basketball on Mondays. Right now my body is pretty sore from lifting yesterday and my arms feel weak. I'd like to play well in my game tonight. Do you recommend spending more time than usual to warm up? Do you have any other tips or is it inevitable that I'll be at less than full strength tonight?

Thanks!

I suggest changing your w/o days to not be the day prior to your sport. Tweak and find a sched that allows you to hit both at your best that may mean having your hardest workout away from games and a day between if needed

Phill

I hope it wasn't a high dose of legs. If its upper body, very few pushups alternate with pullups, then stretch out your biceps and triceps lightly. Not a hard stretch, swing your arms around your body as you turn from side to side and you'll be ok, the adreneline from the game will usually keep the soreness from effecting your play. Unless you did legs. If you did,
Good Luck.

Warm up at least 15 minutes with all Jump shots from where you will most likely be shooting from. These should be consecutive shots, not shooting around with other people.

I hope it wasn't a high dose of legs. If its upper body, very few pushups alternate with pullups, then stretch out your biceps and triceps lightly. Not a hard stretch, swing your arms around your body as you turn from side to side and you'll be ok, the adreneline from the game will usually keep the soreness from effecting your play. Unless you did legs. If you did,
Good Luck.

Warm up at least 15 minutes with all Jump shots from where you will most likely be shooting from. These should be consecutive shots, not shooting around with other people.

It was mostly upper body. I'll give that a try. Thanks!

I tried your suggestions, Airtruth. I think they helped. I played fairly well. Once I got going, I felt fine. After intense lifting yesterday and full court ball tonight with only one sub, my body feels DEAD! I'll probably feel better in the morning.