Lifting Shoes Under $60 ???

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:
retailboy wrote:
I’ve heard some good stuff about Chucks for squats and deads and stuff. But they don’t look like much of cardio shoes.

They’re great for lifting, but definitely not for running/sprinting/cardio.

blasphemy! has no one seen the sandlot!!?? benny says they’re guaranteed to make you run faster![/quote]

Ha ha ha!

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
That One Guy wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:
retailboy wrote:
I’ve heard some good stuff about Chucks for squats and deads and stuff. But they don’t look like much of cardio shoes.

They’re great for lifting, but definitely not for running/sprinting/cardio.

blasphemy! has no one seen the sandlot!!?? benny says they’re guaranteed to make you run faster!

Ha ha ha!

[/quote]

Always a good reference! They were PF Flyers though, not Chucks. (but Converse did try to buy them back in the 70’s)

You can still get them:

http://www.classicsportshoes.com/pff-70378.html

http://www.amazon.com/PF-Flyers-Sandlot-Center-Sneaker/dp/B0012VZSP8

[quote]atg410 wrote:
retailboy wrote:
atg410 wrote:
retailboy wrote:
I hit up DWS warehouse, they had some decent deals but - I have a wide foot width: EEEE - so the shoes selection was a little limited to begin with. All they had were New balances that size at good price, but don’t think they are ideal for lifting.

Ooof, good luck dude. I’m a EEEE too, and after 2 years of scouring, New Balance is still the only company I can find that makes a wide athletic shoe. Some of their trail shoes have thinner, more flexible soles, maybe check on of those out?

Will do.

Yeah NB are great cause they are wide. Also DC’s (And other skater shoes) - but they aren’t gym shoes and not trying to look 16 anymore haha.

It’s always sucked I’ve always liked the look and design of nike, reebok, etc. But I had to get literally 16 size shoe for my 13 sized foot cause of the width(and I did once haha).

That is the problem I saw with NB is the thick soles - I’ll look more closely for thinner ones.

If I can remember the specific model I’ll dig up a link for it, but they came out with a thin soled shoe built sort of like a trail running version of the nike free last year, at the time it was only available in medium width.

At a NB store the other day I saw(I’m pretty sure) the same shoe in a EE. I didn’t have time to try it on, but I think I will shortly. Seems like it would be great for lifting as the sole is considerably less “squishy” than most NB’s.

I’m with you 100% on the nike, reebok etc. thing. I wore adidas sambas two sizes too big for me for years before I found my first wide soled shoe. If I had a million bucks I would start a company to manufacture wide soled legit athletic shoes; track spikes, wrestling shoes, indoor cletes, weight lifting shoes, neutral runners etc. but, you know, I don’t, hah.
[/quote]

the NB 790’s are thin… not sure if they are the ones.

Chucks are too narrow.

Wrestling shoes too narrow.

I saw some Nike’s that were EEEE but they were all cross trainers.

Atg, it looks like - as you said - they don’t make ideal lifting shoes for guys with wide feet like us at OK prices (less than a hundred) so we need to go out and find ones that fit us with the best ‘lifting shoe characteristics’.

I hit up DWS warehouse the other day - I’m going to checkout Khols and Dicks this weekend and check back in with yall.

How about going barefoot for lifting or wearing socks?

Lifting barefoot, is best.

Think of it like benching with gloves on… you dont “feel” the bar as much as when you dont wear gloves.

Your feet are the same, since i started doing squats/deads etc etc barefoot i feel much better.

Add to it a WAY more stable base and your all set.

And its free, spend the 60 dollars on more food :slight_smile:

I don’t think that would be acceptable, since I work out at Gold’s. Given it’s independently owned and allowed to do full deads against the floor and all. But for safety reasons I would think they would have a problem with it (it is against the rules - but so is a lot of other stuff they allow).

Anyone have any experience on Gold’s and going shoeless?

My gym is a former Gold’s and it has a no shoe policy. However, they never say anything to lifters that take their shoes off for squats or deads. It’s not like you’re going to walk around for your whole workout barefoot.

Also, I think it would be funny if Gold’s would frown upon that. Didn’t Arnold typically workout at Gold’s barefoot?

It’s been posted before, but the safety reason is BS. What difference is a shoe going to make if I drop a 45 on my foot? Also, do they realize it’s pretty hard to drop a loaded barbell on your foot?

Dude, I got scolded at my gym for DL’ing barefoot.

“Excuse me, but you have to keep your shoes on.”

“Can I ask why that is?”

“Well, we don’t want you dropping a weight on your foot…”

“Not to argue, but you do realize that anything over 25 lbs will break my foot regardless, right? Besides, lifting with a flat sole, or even barefoot, is actually the healthiest for your back.”

“Oh really? That’s funny, because my back feels so much better when I have shoes on.”

I will tie a voodoo doll of the employee to the back of my exhaust and let sit for a week. We’ll see how many sick days that sonuvabitch uses after that.

OP:

Have you checked out the Vibran Five Fingers? There is a thread on them in Get A Life forum.

They look interesting…and wide.

I am also a 4E width, hence why I love my NB but they heel is too thick.

I’ll have to check out Nike Frees.