Lifting Shoes for Someone with Wide Feet

I’m looking for lifting shoes, preferably ones without out an elevated heel that’s suited well for sumo deadlifts. I wear a 12 4e and I have found zero shoes that are wide enough for me. I did windup purchasing a pair of Nike Romaleos in a size 13. They did fit, but barely and they are too tight to have on for long.

I actually can’t even wear them at all now due to arthritis in my feet. I have flat feet and I’m in the process of getting insoles, so I need shoes where I can put insoles in. I was looking at wresting shoes, but of course I can not find any that are wide. What are my options, if any? Could I lift in dress shoes?

Friend of mine has wide feet, not sure if they’re as wide as yours, and he like the mark bell shoes from reebok.

Just grab some cheap slippers and go without arch support for the 30 minutes a week you are deadlifting (sit on a box in between sets)

Wear something with arch support for the other 111 hours per week that you are potentially on your feet.

Skateboarding shoes are what my big-bodied friends tend to lift with. Some of them seem to be a little elevated, so I’d look into older-style Vans.

[quote]Shiznown wrote:
I’m looking for lifting shoes, preferably ones without out an elevated heel that’s suited well for sumo deadlifts. I wear a 12 4e and I have found zero shoes that are wide enough for me. I did windup purchasing a pair of Nike Romaleos in a size 13. They did fit, but barely and they are too tight to have on for long.

I actually can’t even wear them at all now due to arthritis in my feet. I have flat feet and I’m in the process of getting insoles, so I need shoes where I can put insoles in. I was looking at wresting shoes, but of course I can not find any that are wide. What are my options, if any? Could I lift in dress shoes?[/quote]

My foot size is a 11 (murica size) 4E. The chuck taylors I have are fine, and they are not wide. I forgot what their size is, but they aren’t even wide let alone extra wide. It might be different for you though considering you need insoles/have wide feet.

[quote]tsantos wrote:
Just grab some cheap slippers and go without arch support for the 30 minutes a week you are deadlifting (sit on a box in between sets)

Wear something with arch support for the other 111 hours per week that you are potentially on your feet.[/quote]
You don’t see anything wrong with me lifting 300 plus pounds off the floor with zero arch in my feet thus causing unstable body mechanics?

I saw the doctor and got x-rayed today. Apparently orthotics are not the way to go. I’m going to be having a mid tarsal bone fusion in each foot to correct flat feet. That being stated I still need a wide shoe, since my shoe size will not change. I have emailed Reebok directly about the sizing of the Crossfit TRs and the possibility of them making me a custom TR shoe. I haven’t heard back yet though, and it’s been about 4 days. I really want the Crossfit TRs.

dowins are good . I think that’s what I have.

I’m just hesitant to order the Do Wins, at least from Rogue. You can’t return them and I’ve read that the new models are narrower than the old models and the new models aren’t made as well.

Well, Reebok finally contacted me and stated they don’t make wide lifting shoes, or rather the person who answered emails stated that. Like I didn’t know that already.

So, I’m going to order a pair of TRs in size 13 and see if they fit. There was another option I thought of and I haven’t really found many people talking about it. What about using bowling shoes? They seem pretty tough. I was watching a video of Rippetoe and he showed off his old lifting shoes and stated that they were probably built on a bowling shoe platform. They basically looked like bowling shoes with a strap and rubber grip at the bottom.

Bowling shoes? Children will point and laugh at you!

If you have the ankle mobility and they have the “stickiness” you need then fine. My only memory of bowling shoes is the smell and sliding all over the place (a good shoe guy can add a rubber sole).

Can’t remember if you wanted a flat heel or not but I had Do-Wins (prior to the rogue/pendlay/etc co branding), they felt like I was wearing bowling shoes! Haha sparkly strap… Urgh

If your willing to spend the money this dude Matocha is a cobbler who has been making oly lifting shoes for champions for decades now. Very well known and sturdy shoes all handmade custom made. Most Czechs say they last around 10-15 years if taken care. “Most” times it will take a couple months (2-5) for you to get your shoes considering int shipping and the whole handmade process custom for your own foot.

http://www.sportovniobuv.wz.cz/Uvod.htm

Here is another site that does custom to an extent.

You might have to convert shoe sizes or measure your feet in metric but at least you will get some good long lasting shoes (WOODEN HEEL WHAT!?) that fit your feet…

M 13 4E flat feet, I wear propet macks or jacksons (they make 3E and 5E). They have a flat sole and less than 1/4 in heel. They are as close as I can get to chucks.

Strong bump

1 Like