Lifting Routine for Me?

I have been lifting for a couple years but have not seen any real results, i mean i have muscle but not that much.

So i was wondering if anybody had a good routine for me. I want to emphasis my arms and chest (beach muscles) while building strength on my bench.

Any help will be appreciated!

There’s stickies that answer these question right in this forum ( Beginner articles). Since you got a goal then finding a program shouldn’t be hard.

[quote]ryantom wrote:
I have been lifting for a couple years but have not seen any real results, i mean i have muscle but not that much.

So i was wondering if anybody had a good routine for me. I want to emphasis my arms and chest (beach muscles) while building strength on my bench.

[/quote]

mark rippetoes starting strength for 3 months. Add some direct arm work if you so wish. After that switch to WSFSB.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
ryantom wrote:

mark rippetoes starting strength for 3 months. Add some direct arm work if you so wish. After that switch to WSFSB.[/quote]

this kid says the samething at least 39 times a day

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
ryantom wrote:

mark rippetoes starting strength for 3 months. Add some direct arm work if you so wish. After that switch to WSFSB.

[/quote]

your cute. The same shit gets asked, should every answer be different? I’ll take mark rippetoe’s over your advice everyday.

BTW: I would not hire you as a personal trainer.

whoa whoa whoa
simma down bad boy
whats the reason for taking a swing at me?
only thing i did was write what i observed.
its ok if you dont want me as your pt. and whichever program you choose is on your own free will. its just that no matter what circumstance, weight loss, hypertrophy, strength gain, etc you recommended the same program without proper assessment thats all.

thanks for the help

Thats all fine and dandy but having little itsy bitsy chicken legs with a massive upper body just ain’t kosher bro. My two centavos: train heavy with good form, good diet, and the gains will come.

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
ryantom wrote:

[/quote]

Rippetoe is a fantastic program for beginners (note the title of this section, “Beginners”) Plus, it cures cancer.

A healthy diet of Chuck Noris and deadlifts cures cancer.

[quote]funkhauser wrote:
A healthy diet of Chuck Noris and deadlifts cures cancer.[/quote]

True. Chuck Norris does cure cancer, but he usually gives it right back because he can.

I am an agreeance with “the kid”.
New lifters don’t need fancy custom programs, they need to lift hard and consistently with the big lifts. Then once the gains plateau make some changes.

Like it or not, that was a pot shot at Zephead whether you meant it as a friendly jest or not is simply a matter of opinion.

I think your problem can be easily determined by answering a few questions. I had the same problem you are having when I started out because I did not eat enough. So ask yourself the following questions:

1. Are you gaining any weight? If you aren’t, then you are not eating enough. If you are gaining weight and it is not muscle, then you are not working out hard enough or you have a genetic disorder. I would bet that it isn’t the genetic disorder. I started lifting to get in shape and lose fat. Later, when I wanted more muscle, I tried everything but never corrected my eating because I didn’t want to get fat. You have to eat enough to gain some weight. And work your entire body not just your upper body. Having more muscle below helps to keep fat all over your body in check.

[quote]yasser wrote:

New lifters don’t need fancy custom programs, they need to lift hard and consistently with the big lifts. Then once the gains plateau make some changes.

Like it or not, that was a pot shot at Zephead whether you meant it as a friendly jest or not is simply a matter of opinion.[/quote]

wow, just wow

Cool. Glad we agree. Your awestruck.

[quote]bmitch wrote:
ZeusNathan wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
ryantom wrote:

That’s cuz its a tried and proven program
[/quote]

only if you’ve tried it yourself and succeeded.
from what im reading, everyone seems to praise this program. i have yet to look at it. i only wonder how many of you actually used the program yourself? that sounds like an asshole challenge but i speak with sincerity.

its one thing reading it and pondering whether it fits well with the trends, but a theory is only good as a million dollars locked up in a mausoleum.
to me, 5x5 wouldnt be good for any beginner, IMHO.

Which TheDudeAbides clearly stated he has. It’s also a popular recommended program outside of Zepheads recommendation.

So I should weigh your humble opinion against numerous recommendations, and the program would come up lacking?

Don’t knock a program if you haven’t looked at it. You have just declared yourself a moron from the get go.

So here is Mark Rippetoe’s credentials
http://www.startingstrength.com/authors.html
Let’s see yours.

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1904824

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1620407

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1877864

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1873879

I am sure I could find a ton more. But obviously you could write a better program so let’s see it.

I have never driven a Porsche but I know there nice cars.

[quote]yasser wrote:

Like it or not, that was a pot shot at Zephead whether you meant it as a friendly jest or not is simply a matter of opinion.[/quote]

I agree I made wonderful gains
or losses in my case
I am still 290 pounds but lost inches in places and gained inches in others and I am stronger which was my entire goal

I did the stronglifts 5x5 but because of my weight I tweaked it slightly

I only did bench,rows,deads,squats and military presses and thats it

read stickies and keep it simple you will be fine

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:
only if you’ve tried it yourself and succeeded.
from what im reading, everyone seems to praise this program. i have yet to look at it. i only wonder how many of you actually used the program yourself? that sounds like an asshole challenge but i speak with sincerity.

its one thing reading it and pondering whether it fits well with the trends, but a theory is only good as a million dollars locked up in a mausoleum.
to me, 5x5 wouldnt be good for any beginner, IMHO.
[/quote]

Many of us on this site have done Rippetoe or programs like it (Bill Starr, Stronglifts, etc). What has been missing from programs before Rippetoe is a lack of focus on strength. Once a person becomes strong, he will progress along a number of fronts all at once. Progress will be faster with this type of training than with any other. Like the OP of this thread, I wasted many years with 3x10 machine programs. It wasn’t until I started training the body as a whole with low reps that I got strong. I wish I had a known that in my 20s. I was almost 50 when I started training this way.

The fact is, that it doesn’t matter how old the trainee is or what sex. If you get him strong first, everything else is easier.

Stu

I’ve done rippetoes, not to mention there are about a dozen rippetoe logs running on this site.