Lifting-Related Book Recommendations?

5/3/1 ebook is available direct from jimwendler .com Costs the same as a hardcopy, but no excessive postage charges.

5/3/1 is awesome, because it gives a clear and easy guide to progression, of both strength with the core exercises and hypertrophy with accessory exercises. The majority of programs just think progression takes care of itself, add weight when you can, which can quickly leads to stalling or even overtraining or injury.
Very easy to cater to different individuals, a seriously great template, wish I had come across it much earlier in my lifting history. I can’t stress this enough.

1 Like

I’ve seen you recommend the Venuto and Aceto book before, but the John Rusin book really stood out to me as being recommended by you. Care to elaborate?

I bought the book not to follow an exact program but specifically to see how he is arranging workouts so that people can progress while remaining pain-free or to not cause further pain. If you have read his articles on here, you can see that although he writes on training to progress, he is nearly always discussing how to go about things to prevent injury and dysfunction.

He includes in the book some drills to be performed after workouts or in the evening for some so-called prehabilitation. When one buys the book they get access to his FB forum in which people share their experiences, progress, and videos for form checks. Ever since my first and serious injury, two herniated discs, last year, I am VERY wary of causing further damage to my body.

His training design is right up my alley and it’s also very Meadowsesque, for lack of a better term.

2 Likes