Lifting Program for Martial Arts

Does anyone know of a good lifting program for martial arts? I’m currently training in Krav Maga and Grappling. Any help is appreciated.

I can’t think of any specific program, but I have used elements of ABBH I / II and definitely rengeade bodybuilding to get some cool functional strength.

I have been doing BJJ and JKD/ boxing/ Kickboxing and mma since early 2001, and what I have found always works is just working cycles between strength phases and muscular endurance phases. Pre-fight, I’ll work on fat loss and anaerobic cardio endurance for 4-5 weeks.

(Note: I know this seems obvious to alot of people, but this was huge for me when I finally tried it out. Maybe others are in the same boat.)

Check out Martin Rooney’s book titled Training for Warriors, which is available at elitefts.com

I Like Coach Davies stuff. Jamie Hale is supposed to be good too, but I have not seen his stuff.

An interesting read is The Art of Expressing the Human Body, based on the writings Bruce Lee collected and some sample workouts of his.

Peace,
T-Ren

Anything to put on weight.

I wouldn’t put a heavy emphasis on ‘sport-specific’ training per se. Do what the rest of us do; great, big, heavy movements that push your heart rate into the cardio training zone and result in strength and size. No more, no less.

DI

Has anyone tried Martin Rooney’s new book? Before I buy it I want to make sure that it’s worth the money.

Thanks,
rappan

[quote][…] I have found always works is just working cycles between strength phases and muscular endurance phases. Pre-fight, I’ll work on fat loss and anaerobic cardio endurance for 4-5 weeks.[…]

[/quote]

Could you go into a little more detail, for example how long you keep the phases and what you do for the muscular endurance phase?

look up charles staley’s stuff, his book on the science of martial art training is particularly good, also read his articles in t-mag on Escalating Density Training