T Nation

Lifting Percentage

Reading another forum the other night, someone posted their lifts. Someone else posted that the overhead press weight was high compared to the bench press weight. Is there a percentage of weight that I should be lifting in different exercises? For every 100 lbs I can bench, what should I be overhead pressing, curling, squatting, etc. Wouldn’t that show my strengths and weaknesses? Does what I’m asking make sense?

It is highly individual. Some people deadlift 200 pounds more than they squat, while my deadlift and squat are really close together. Olympic lifters are going to have front squats that are very high in comparison to their back squats while the top powerlifters front squats will be much further away from their back squat. It is all about how you train and your bodies proportions and other genetic factors.

That disclaimer stated, I know that isn’t the answer you are looking for so here is an article that is… Okay.

[quote]VikingsAD28 wrote:
It is highly individual. Some people deadlift 200 pounds more than they squat, while my deadlift and squat are really close together. Olympic lifters are going to have front squats that are very high in comparison to their back squats while the top powerlifters front squats will be much further away from their back squat. It is all about how you train and your bodies proportions and other genetic factors.

That disclaimer stated, I know that isn’t the answer you are looking for so here is an article that is… Okay.

[/quote]

Wow. My numbers were dead on across the board…except for the tiny lifts…but the big lifts were spot on.