T Nation

Lifting Partners

I’ve never had one before. Never really wanted one. I like training alone. My speed. My music. My routine.

So, the H.S. football coach was in my office this morning and we got to talking about iron. This guy is a freak of nature - Benches 400+ at 5’6", 235, and swole. Anyhow - the conversation turned to training partners. And he asked me if would like to train with him this summer, and I told him I would.

Here’s my problem, if that’s what you want to call it: I don’t know what the role of a training partner is. I mean other than an occasional spot, or to help unrack the bar on bench, what does a training partner do?

you ever play basketball by yourself? Then played with a friend? its more fun.

Its no fun of course if the person your playing with totally sucks, doesnt want to get good, doesnt like playing, and doesnt like you. but this doesnt seem to be the case, you found yourself someone who has the same interests, same direction in goals, and likes your company. Thats great!

So now you have someone to motivate you, get you to the gym/garage whatever, to spot you, diagnose any flaws in form, and just your comraderie.

You get to discuss training methods, nutrition, sports, anything.

I wish i had a training partner at my level, with my focus, and goal. with my interest for the sport, the science, the life.

consider yourself lucky. you can learn from him and him from you. get lifting!

Some expect flowers on their birthday, long walks on the beach and warm showers together.

Rainjack, here are a few reasons that are important to me. One: the obvious to help with spots on hard lifts like barbell bench or even squatting.

Two: the camaraderie, a good lifting partner motivates you, pushes you past limits or comfort zones sometimes you’re unaware of! A good partner will share in your satisfaction when you bust through plateaus and help you get past them.

I have lifted alone and enjoyed it and lifted with suck ass partners which didn’t last long, but lifting with a good partner like the one I have now can be a totally symbiotic or synergistic relationship.

The key is someone who shares your level of commitment, who will be there on time ready to get to work. If you’re partner isn’t there you will know soon enough! My lifting buddy is 250 pounds at about 14 to 15 percent body-fat he kills my ass on bench (I got him on legs though) but his strength levels motivate me and he himself is always encouraging me to hit new levels. With his help, I will reach new levels!

[quote]vvsonikvv wrote:
So now you have someone to motivate you, get you to the gym/garage whatever, to spot you, diagnose any flaws in form, and just your comraderie.

I wish i had a training partner at my level, with my focus, and goal. with my interest for the sport, the science, the life.

consider yourself lucky. you can learn from him and him from you. get lifting![/quote]

The only reason I considered it when he offered was that he knows how to push heavy weight. I think I can really learn a lot from him, and that aspect of of a training partner is very appealing.

The downside is - I really like lifting alone. I’m not sure if I can play well with others.

What is proper training partner ‘etiquette’, in addition to the afore-mentioned flowers and long walks?

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Some expect flowers on their birthday, long walks on the beach and warm showers together.[/quote]

You have experience with this, then?

[quote]rainjack wrote:
vvsonikvv wrote:

consider yourself lucky. you can learn from him and him from you. get lifting!

The only reason I considered it when he offered was that he knows how to push heavy weight. I think I can really learn a lot from him, and that aspect of of a training partner is very appealing.

The downside is - I really like lifting alone. I’m not sure if I can play well with others.

What is proper training partner ‘etiquette’, in addition to the afore-mentioned flowers and long walks?[/quote]

Bro…

Show up on time…don’t be in a mood to f&5c around…set the tone for ass kicking workouts.

I used to train with partners…I got tired of the crap…showing up late…wanting to chat about their girl/family problems etc.

It’s been over 8 yrs now without having one…and I’ll never go back to depending on one. I’ll train just as hard with a partner as without.

As the old adage goes…A man’s gotta know his limits. Goes with training without a partner.

Who the heck knows…maybe you’ll fall in love…and run off with da coach!

Just kidd’n bro…had to throw that in there. :slight_smile:

Im with rainjack.

I like not having a training partner.

It is almost the purity and clarity of my adgenda and my goals and my pace. i have to deal with people the rest of the day, the last thing i want on my time out is having to deal with peole.

In stating that, i have trained with others, and it is a different experience. as long as they have similar goals etc then i think you will be ok.

It can be more fun, can be motivating, and ensures you get your butt in the gym. you may learn something, and you may get taught something also.

I had a great time when i was training with 2 other guys, my gains werent great, but it was fun and i did ok, but just in different way than i do now. (does that sound rather festive…?)

[quote]michaelv wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Some expect flowers on their birthday, long walks on the beach and warm showers together.

You have experience with this, then?[/quote]

Training with the wife. I am trying to get her back into it again. Having kids is tough.

Hope you didn’t think I was talking about another dude. I am not the type that gets Mer-men tattoos. Not that there is anything wriong with that.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Training with the wife. I am trying to get her back into it again. Having kids is tough.

Hope you didn’t think I was talking about another dude. I am not the type that gets Mer-men tattoos. Not that there is anything wriong with that.[/quote]

Well, that sure filled in a bunch of blanks for me. whew!!