T Nation

Lifting on an Uneven Floor

I built myself a squat rack and have been lifting in my open-air garage. This is awesome for north Idaho in the winter I assure you. In any case, the cement floor is slanted so that the left side is about 2-3 inches lower. Do you think I’m putting myself at risk for injuring myself with the floor not being level?

mike

yes with a side of possibly

Cam’t you turn the rack sideways to face downhill for hitting the quads more?lol

Possibly, and you may end up with one leg much bigger than other(!)
Try get some sort of custom slanted platform cut, to even out the area on which you place the squat rack

Uneven surfaces may create imbalances that ultimately effect your spinal alignment.
Do what drc recommended above.

Or wear a thicker soled shoe on the low side. LOL

Can’t you make the whole cement floor wobble or something… Damn would that be functional.

:wink:

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Can’t you make the whole cement floor wobble or something… Damn would that be functional.

;)[/quote]

Yeah, make it a bosu cement floor!

I have had a uneven chair for a few years, that I spent a few hours on each day (no lifting, just using it). Made my lower back uneven, so now I have to focus so that my hips dont skew to the rigth while doing squats/deads/SLDLs/etc.
So I’d fix that floor if I were you.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

;)[/quote]

My god! The next big fad! (franticallly begins drawing plans)

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Uneven surfaces may create imbalances that ultimately effect your spinal alignment. >>>[/quote]

I would have to believe this is true and was exactly what I was thinking. Some other joints too maybe. Especially with some serious weight.