Lifting Music

[quote]skrying wrote:
I’d been thinking about this a lot lately. Here are the songs that never leave my workout playlist:

• “Welcome to the Jungle” by Guns N Roses
  • “Beautiful People” by Marilyn Manson
  • “Bled for Days” by Static-X
  • “Got the Life” and “Thoughtless” by Korn
  • “Smells Like Teen Spirit” by Nirvana
  • “Wait and Bleed,” “Left Behind,” “The Heretic Album,” and “Disasterpiece” by Slipknot
  • “Bulls on Parade” by Rage Against the Machine
  • “Dig,” “Death Blooms,” and “Internal Primates Forever” by Mudvayne
    [/quote]

Add some slayer and disturbed and you have my music for lifting…

[quote]TrainerinDC wrote:
skrying wrote:
I’d been thinking about this a lot lately. Here are the songs that never leave my workout playlist:

• “Welcome to the Jungle” by Guns N Roses
  • “Beautiful People” by Marilyn Manson
  • “Bled for Days” by Static-X
  • “Got the Life” and “Thoughtless” by Korn
  • “Smells Like Teen Spirit” by Nirvana
  • “Wait and Bleed,” “Left Behind,” “The Heretic Album,” and “Disasterpiece” by Slipknot
  • “Bulls on Parade” by Rage Against the Machine
  • “Dig,” “Death Blooms,” and “Internal Primates Forever” by Mudvayne

Add some slayer and disturbed and you have my music for lifting… [/quote]

Those are all great tunes. Nothing like a little “War Ensemble” or “Raining Blood” live to fire you up. Although for the past few months I’ve just been listening to Pantera’s “Strength Beyond Strength” on repeat. Over and over and over until my workout’s done. Probably a bit repetitive for most, but it works for me for now.

[quote]wressler125 wrote:
Something about marilyn manson does it for me… In the gym that is.

Silent Civilian is awesome. Only like a few of their songs for lifting though.

Mnenic is whats usually played at our gym. Other than that, some korn, static-x, slayer, linkin park, deftones, and an assortment of singles.

Slayer just came out with a new album.

I’m getting a demo disc from his local band you’ll have to hear when you get back b-rock. Pretty heavy speed metal, but still good enough to lift to.[/quote]

awesome, i’ll have to give it a listen to.

has the music at the gym gotten any better? i was on the ‘music committee’ last year and the bitches didn’t like slash buy ANY of my music. “no yelling or angry music”

fuck that.

[quote]consumer wrote:
i actually like lifting to Muse.[/quote]

hysteria and tunes of the like; i hear that.

i just saw them in boston last week; fucking amazing. best show ever.

[quote]EmperialChina wrote:
Does this apply to music in general. Usually the music is intense, but at times it can get me distracted especially if I am doing very heavy sets, and it will start to annoy me. For concentration I really like Seal, many of his songs are masterpieces (Prayer for the Dying, Don’t Cry, Kiss from a Rose, et cetera) and are good for concentration.

More recently Killswitch Engage is pretty good (great cover of Holy Diver even if some disagree), and melodically I like Sevendust. In Flames is also great.

[/quote]

i just could never bring myself to lift to seal.

ever.

but it did provide good soundtracking for batman!

[quote]jjblaze wrote:
bigflamer wrote:
For me lately: Deadstar assembly, Skinlab, and as always…Clutch!!

I’ve sort of been rediscovering Motorhead and Anthrax as well. I’m kind of in the middle of a metal revival lately. Does anybody else think that alot of the “rock” being played on the radio these days could make a guy grow a vagina?

Maybe I’m just getting old :]

Absolutely no doubt. It’s just another symptom of the feminization of America. Even the music is becoming bitchy. When Phil Anselmo screamed “REVENGE!” to kick off “Mouth for War” it got your attention. When Linkin Park’s lead singer, whoever the hell it is, screams “Shut up while I’m talking to you” he sounds whiney and it makes you want to backhand him. I know Linkin Park isn’t indicative of all new music, but things certainly have changed and I don’t think it’s nostalgia talking.[/quote]

This is true, alot of fucking whiney ass singers anymore with no power to their voice at all and some of it isn’t even really singing. Been rockin’ to Pantera Live, Anselmo is fucking awesome. One vote for “I’m broken.”

bad religion, fugazi, social distortion, billy talent, d.r.i., circle jerks, suicidal tendencies, t.s.o.l…

old school punk is my fav…

Origin - “Larvae of the Lie”, “Portal” etc
Hate Eternal “Behold Judas”
pretty much anything brutal, triggered kick drums and I’m a happy lifter.

You need to get some disturbed and mushroomhead along with some drowning pool and hatebreed. Seether kicks ass too.

you can never go wrong with Slipknot, Static-x, Deftones…mudvayne

i pretty much have to have my ipod with me every workout

the cult live at cains ballroom,rollins band,social D,motorhead,pantera,danzig,white zombie,black label society,slayer

The greatest mother fuckin’ band ever: Pearl Jam.

As someone who should be posting in the over 35 lifter forums, I like a lot of stuff from the 80’s. (sorry to all you young fella’s)

But also, AC/DC, Kutless, Relient K, 2Pac, Jars of Clay, Jimmy Barnes…

A wide variety but as long they’re powerful words with good rock riffs - I get motivated.

[quote]Jade1 wrote:
Talking about the shitiness of radio rock…I hate that there are no new bands that aspire to the quality of their metal/rock predecesors. So many say they were influenced by Motorhead, Metallica, Black sabbath etc, but what an insult! Their music is shit!

The only new rock bands to enter the “mainstream” the past few years, who are decent, are Godsmack and Slipknot. Maybe a couple more…but can’t think right now…[/quote]

I agree here. I love the old shit and nobody has the balls to actually learn guitar and write songs that are at the same time good and feature ass kicking guitar parts.

Honestly I get distracted when I’m wearing an mp3 player, and it’s hard for me to get motivated. It just feels unnatural to me or something to have the music coming from a source that’s almost in my ear.

On my mp3 player right now i mainly listen to Spineshank, Old Sevendust (first too albums), Endo, Coal Chamber.

Also been mixing in so Dmx, and 50 cent, i know, but hy, it seems to be working for me lately, mixes up the rock some.

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
Honestly I get distracted when I’m wearing an mp3 player, and it’s hard for me to get motivated. It just feels unnatural to me or something to have the music coming from a source that’s almost in my ear. [/quote]

I’m the same way. I can’t lift with anything attached to me. It’s just a huge distraction.

[quote]Tsypkin wrote:
The greatest mother fuckin’ band ever: Pearl Jam.[/quote]

That stopped after Ten. It was downhill after that.

Agree to whoever said “I’m Broken” by Pantera, Dimebag rips it (the outro is KILLER). Basically I either choose one of two things to play while I workout. Its either Guns N’ Roses Appetite For Destruction (the ultimate pissed off soundtrack) or Pantera with bits of Black Label Society thrown in (pure rage). I’d say Appetite For Destruction gets played the most because its non-stop kickass hard rock.

Bury Your Dead is real intense, great for lifting. But it doesn’t compare to JoJo’s new single, Too Little Too Late. Now THAT’S intense!