T Nation

Lifting Music

I like a wide variety of music when I lift classical, rap, country, probably even some pop, anything with a good beat and fast pace, but as a child of the 80s my favorite has to be metal.

Ok, so rules for the thread, say whatever you want about your musical tastes and list one song that really gets you in the mood to lift. My choice for today:

Sons of Odin by Manowar.

That came up while I was deadlifting this morning and it really kept the motivation flowing.

Move Bitch - Ludacris, et al.

I’ve been listening to this song whenever I train a moving event.

Zombie Barricades-The Company Band

I’m probably in the minority, but I actually prefer to lift in silence…

*Let the bodies hit the floor
*I am Iron Man
*Metallica

I really like this from another little ol band outta (McAllen)Texas

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
[/quote]

I’m ok with that, but I lift at a commercial gym and it’s either listen to my own music or hear their truly awful muzak. I mean seriously, some of that music is so lame I don’t see how you could even do yoga or aerobics to it let alone lift weights.

[quote]blue9steel wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
[/quote]

I’m ok with that, but I lift at a commercial gym and it’s either listen to my own music or hear their truly awful muzak. I mean seriously, some of that music is so lame I don’t see how you could even do yoga or aerobics to it let alone lift weights.[/quote]

lol, ya I know what you mean.

[quote]blue9steel wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
[/quote]

I’m ok with that, but I lift at a commercial gym and it’s either listen to my own music or hear their truly awful muzak. I mean seriously, some of that music is so lame I don’t see how you could even do yoga or aerobics to it let alone lift weights.[/quote]

Seriously? The “All Miley Cyrus all the Time” music channel doesn’t do it for you?

[quote]silverblood wrote:
Seriously? The “All Miley Cyrus all the Time” music channel doesn’t do it for you?[/quote]

I can lift to Johnny Cash, Sir Mix a Lot, Wagner, The Monks of Santo Domingo de Silos, Ozzy or even Weird Al, but they’ve got this whole soft pop / easy listening thing that just doesn’t work, the beat and pacing isn’t even right.

I can’t help but feel like the rules of the thread were quickly abandoned.

I have also been listening to Eminem’s “Evil Twin” every deadlift training session for about the past 1.5 years now. I set-up during the intro, and start the deadlift itself right at “I believe people can change”. I pull my second set at “Flipped rap on it’s ear”.

It actually cuts down a bit on the deadlift anxiety having a pre-determined part to lift to. Before, it was pretty easy to get too psyched up/out.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
I can’t help but feel like the rules of the thread were quickly abandoned.
[/quote]

Well, I never meant to prohibit discussion, just set the standard for initial posts.

I listen to everything as well. And I am in serious need of some new tunes. The ones I listen to are getting old.

A recent addition.

newer music

when I could still lift heavy this was one of my favorites to push out that last set on squat or dl

Slayer’s live version of “War Ensamble” is my go to for PR’s. Its been my “go to” since high school rassle’n days. I having been under a lot of stress lately and training some technical strongman lifts. I’ve found live Grateful Dead does wonders when I need more focus than fury.

I’ve been going to this album a fair bit lately.

Metalhead here, and I love that you said MANOWAR…cheesy as all hell, but I love them.

Even though IRON MAIDEN is my favorite band, that’s not my go-to for lifting. HATEBREED gets that honour. Other good ones off the top of my head: AMON AMARTH, DYING FETUS, GOATWHORE, DEVILDRIVER, BELPHEGOR, LAMB OF GOD (live Killadelphia album), & SKELETONWITCH.

Oh, and…if you’re not into metal, you are not my friend!

Every goddamned time