Lifting Makes Shoulder Feel Better?

At first I thought my bench is what caused my shoulder to have sharp pains every so often, but just recentley I noticed when I do DB bench my shoulder feels great. Im guessing the blood flow is causing this, any ideas?

barbell bench gives me sharp shoulder pains as I lift it that would come during certain other activities as well (boxing, lifting arms a certain way, pressing them against a wall, etc…)

I switched to db shoulder press and db bench and I don’t get the pains anymore while I do the exercise. My shoulders also feel better outside of the gym but they are not completely healed yet. I figure I will just keep avoiding barbell bench, but then again, I am not a power lifter so it isn’t that big of a deal for me.

I really have no idea what it is, I just think that bb bench causes me to use the muscles/tissues or whatever it is that are causing the pain where as db allows me to avoid it.

I understand that. But say if im just sitting around my house, my shoulder will start to act up, and, ill eventually start expiriencing sharp pain.

But, if I lift, the pain stops, and everything goes back to normal. Right up until about 15 minutes after my workout were the sharp pain and discomfort sets in.

bump.

you are getting blood flowing to the area when you workout thats why it feels better

Yep believedat x 2. Tendonitus exhibits those symptoms.

[quote]patricio2626 wrote:
Yep believedat x 2. Tendonitus exhibits those symptoms. [/quote]

I was thinking tendonitus. Well I gave it 3 weeks off, +1 week of light DB work, and am now just getting into somewhat heavy BB work. Should I drop everything until these pains go away?

My back felt better after chronic pain, when I do squats.

True, a common history of tendonitis is pain at the start of activity that decreases once warmed up, only to re-appear once cooled down.

Also DB may allow a freedom of movement that can avoid impingement positions.

I have a constant burning in my right shoulder when i’m sitting around not doing much.

Complete goes away while I’m training and whenever I have my arms overhead.

It’s very irritating the rest of the time though.

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
I have a constant burning in my right shoulder when i’m sitting around not doing much.

It’s very irritating the rest of the time though.[/quote]

How long have you had this?

I will post here what i have posted on another thread for shoulder pain:

Funny you should mention this. I was having some shoulder pain in my rotator cuff this past winter and have been doing some minor shoulder muscle exercises for the past couple months and have notice a VAST improvement. Every day i lift i take a 5lb weight and very slowly do arm circles forward till it starts to get tired then switch arms. Then Go back to the original arm and do them backward.

Through out your normal work out go back to the 5lb weight and stretch your arm straight out from your shoulder (from the side of you body) bend your elbow so your forearm is pointing up (your arm should be at a 90 degree angle) then rotate your arm up and down while keeping you elbow still. All this will strengthen your minor shoulder muscles which are usually forgotten.

Also i have read that squating over time can lead to shoulder pain. Perhaps switching up back squats with front squats for a bit may help too.

good luck

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
Goodfellow wrote:

How long have you had this? [/quote]

About a year, give or take a couple months.

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:
Goodfellow wrote:

About a year, give or take a couple months.[/quote]

Are you trying anything to remedy it? I dont have a burning sensation, more of a tight feeling, with pain here and there.

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
Goodfellow wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:
Goodfellow wrote:

Are you trying anything to remedy it? I dont have a burning sensation, more of a tight feeling, with pain here and there.[/quote]

Mine is very tight too.

I don’t know what to do in all honesty.

I’ve tried everything; every remedial shoulder exercise you can think of, read all of cressey’s articles and tried his methods, broomstick stretches, icing, heat, massage…

It has got better since I started back on a 5-day body part split (HAHA), so I can only assume it might be due to a muscle imbalance or bad posture…

If it gets bad I just hang off the pull up bar for a minute and that usually helps.

Over a year though I’ve learnt to deal with it.

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:
Goodfellow wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:
Goodfellow wrote:

Are you trying anything to remedy it? I dont have a burning sensation, more of a tight feeling, with pain here and there.

Mine is very tight too.

I don’t know what to do in all honesty.

I’ve tried everything; every remedial shoulder exercise you can think of, read all of cressey’s articles and tried his methods, broomstick stretches, icing, heat, massage…

It has got better since I started back on a 5-day body part split (HAHA), so I can only assume it might be due to a muscle imbalance or bad posture…

If it gets bad I just hang off the pull up bar for a minute and that usually helps.

Over a year though I’ve learnt to deal with it.

[/quote]

Well I will give me shoulder another 2 weeks of rest. And it it stays the same ill just start lifting.