T Nation

Lifting Like a Pansy

So I don’t know what it is about modern day “fitness experts” but after browsing this site for a couple months I’ve come to realize everything I was tough’t is total bullshit.

For instance, for football in high school our team brought in this hot shot fitness guru type guy. I specifically remember one exercise, dumbell jumping jacks… yeah, I know. The point of this “exercise” was to do 15 dumbell curls, then drop the weights and do 10 jumping jacks completing 4 total sets…really? REALLY? at the time I knew it was weird, but now I have changed my opinion from weird to RETARDED!

I mean he said it was creating “functional strength” what in gods name was he talking about??? I don’t remember ever shedding a blocker, then stopping to do 10 fucking jumping jacks…

Also we were told not to do conventional barbell exercises (Deadlifts, squats, bench) Instead we used dumbells or did shit like one legged squats while holding a plate…

My team went 3-7 that season…thanks ass hole

So basically I just wanted to thank T-Nation and all the guys on the forums for showing me how to NOT lift like a pansy

Yea I can just see Jared Allen doing shit like this or Adrian Peterson. Welcome to the adult world where no one should have physical pain at any time. Because that is what it really comes down to. Pansies like that expert can’t stand pain so they invent shit like that curl jumping jack thing. Real weight lifting is almost a sadist pursuit of muscle and explosion.

In season lifting is a little different than off season. I bet the reason he was having you doing the dumbbell exercise for football was for conditioning. EditI bet the dumbbell curls were to build bicep strength in order to cradle the ball tightly. Would you rather jog 2-4 Km that really does not correlate to football spiriting?

I can see where you are coming from however, things that trainers do for sports have their merit. Don’t ever blame a shitty record solely on one person let alone a trainer. It take much more than one person to go 3-7 in a season.

Just the way I see it. As well if you don’t think he’s a good fit for your team collectively as a team approach your coach and voice your opinion.

Unfortunately strength training education often goes like this;
Big brother teaches little brother what his high school gym or football coach taught him.
Little brother enters high school and starts learning first hand from high school football coach.
Little brother graduates and becomes a high school football coach, continuing the cycle.

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:
In season lifting is a little different than off season. I bet the reason he was having you doing the dumbbell exercise for football was for conditioning. EditI bet the dumbbell curls were to build bicep strength in order to cradle the ball tightly. Would you rather jog 2-4 Km that really does not correlate to football spiriting?

I can see where you are coming from however, things that trainers do for sports have their merit. Don’t ever blame a shitty record solely on one person let alone a trainer. It take much more than one person to go 3-7 in a season.

Just the way I see it. As well if you don’t think he’s a good fit for your team collectively as a team approach your coach and voice your opinion. [/quote]

Curls do not transfer over to football. For running backs it is all about grip strength. Not to argue just to point out. Do you ever visit the elitefts.com site. Dan John writes about strength training for football players.

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:
In season lifting is a little different than off season. I bet the reason he was having you doing the dumbbell exercise for football was for conditioning. EditI bet the dumbbell curls were to build bicep strength in order to cradle the ball tightly. Would you rather jog 2-4 Km that really does not correlate to football spiriting?

I can see where you are coming from however, things that trainers do for sports have their merit. Don’t ever blame a shitty record solely on one person let alone a trainer. It take much more than one person to go 3-7 in a season.

Just the way I see it. As well if you don’t think he’s a good fit for your team collectively as a team approach your coach and voice your opinion. [/quote]

Curls do not transfer over to football. For running backs it is all about grip strength. Not to argue just to point out. Do you ever visit the elitefts.com site. Dan John writes about strength training for football players. [/quote]

No by all means. However, I do believe I read it from a author on this site. I could be wrong tho. It would make sense that you need bicep concentric strength to hold a football. But I do not play football just something interesting that I’ve read and thought I would share. Should have put “Something that I’ve read was that curls…”. I’ll take a look more over at elitfts.

Have you ever had a D end try to rip the ball out of your arms while you were running through the line? Sure, it takes alot of grip strength to keep possession but it takes a whole ton of bicep strength too. When you have somebody hanging from your forearm trying to leverage your arm open you want a ton of bicep strength.

See picture of Marion Barber and his pipes for some evidence towards the point


Picture didn’t load

Awww! Poor OP! Trying to shut down some clown of a coach and getting … not supported? Congratulations on crossing over to the Dark side of weight lifting with us masochistic ‘sadist’ types. I see the merit of bicep training for holding a football but I think everyone on here can agree that so far as football training goes there must be better ways to develope the strength you need without bicpep curl jacks. And no deads or squats? WTF!

[quote]DJHT wrote:
. Real weight lifting is almost a sadist pursuit of muscle and explosion. [/quote]

Awesome

I too lifted like a pansy during my 1st attempt at weightlifting. It was a 4 month stint where I lifted light weights to get cut. I remember doing DB presses with a whopping 60lbs after 4 months and curling the 30’s. This site was a savior.

our weightlifting in HS consisted of the major lifts(bench,squat,deadlift,hang clean,incline bench,sometimes snatch,ok the last three weren’t too major) which now looking back was nice yet the slam the chest bench form was terrible. God I can’t stand seeing the kids slam their sternum into their vertebrae.

We actually did Olympic lifts mixed with your basic power lifts(bench,dead,squat) in HS. The current coaches have them doing HIT-style lifting now with a bunch of “fancy” machines. sigh

Have em follow defrancos routine/advice…problem solved:)

we did lots of olympic lifts as well as bench squat and deads in high school it was pretty cool. Our coach was nazi on form too and you werent allowed to do certain weight until you got the form down from the get go. my high school is still doing that even though my coach got fired they kept him around as a weight training coach.

Single leg deadlifts are good for hamstrings, there is even an article on here.