T Nation

Lifting is My Only Joy in Life and Suck Doing It

iam a guy who a male 26 age.. my dream it so be really strong and some dcent size and to reach 12 %fat.. but strong is important to me..i started 2 month ago 225 lbs and now after clean eating and lifting a normal spilt of chest day abck day etc.. iam 186 lbs.. i wanna be strong and this plan isnt working as fast as i want.. i read here an d there about 5x5 but only 3 days a week isnt enough for me i love to lift.. help plz i thought of this plan for me and wanna know what u guys think .. push pull leg day then rest day then repeat..

push..>> bench press 5x5 then floor or incline press 4 x 8.6 reps_barbell standing miltiry press 5x5..then upright row or hanging high pulls.. 4x 8..for my side shoulder.. then close grip bench press 5x5
pull day.. bendly row..5x5 ..then dubmell row 4x8 to 6..then 1 arm shotgun row using cable machine 3x10.. then close grip pull down or reserve grip pull down..cant d pull up yet.. then barbell curls and dumbell curls and preacher dumbell curl all done 3x10 to 8 reps..

leg day is made of 5x5 squat then idk leg press and dumbell lungs or something didint really think of this.. cardio would use something hiit .. still planning..forarems been done 3 days a week..
this what i think is enough to b be working muscle every 4 days good for freq trining..
i do all my sets same weight that i cant do more reps with.. like when bench i cant do any more then 5 reps with the same weight..

plz help i love lifting and i wanna achive my dream i have to be strong.. feeling strong in the gym is best feeling in my life..Ry.push..>> bench press 5x5 then floor or incline press 4 x 8.6 reps_barbell standing miltiry press 5x5..then upright row or hanging high pulls.. 4x 8..for my side shoulder.. then close grip bench press 5x5

pull day.. bendly row..5x5 ..then dubmell row 4x8 to 6..then 1 arm shotgun row using cable machine 3x10.. then close grip pull down or reserve grip pull down..cant d pull up yet.. then barbell curls and dumbell curls and preacher dumbell curl all done 3x10 to 8 reps..
leg day is made of 5x5 squat then idk leg press and dumbell lungs or something didint really think of this.. cardio would use something hiit .. still planning..forarems been done 3 days a week..
this what i think is enough to b be working muscle every 4 days good for freq trining..

i do all my sets same weight that i cant do more reps with.. like when bench i cant do any more then 5 reps with the same weight..
plz help i love lifting and i wanna achive my dream i have to be strong.. feeling strong in the gym is best feeling in my life..Ry.

do a program called 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler. That’ll get you where you want to go. It can be found online or you can even buy the book

and congratulations on your weight loss so far

[quote]rymo wrote:
iam a guy who a male 26 age… my dream it so be really strong and some dcent size and to reach 12 %fat… but strong is important to me[/quote]
If strength is your top priority right now, that’s fine. You already dropped a lot of weight and seen some visible results, but losing so much weight in a fairly short time is a sign you likely lost some muscle along the way. You’ve got to get your eating right. Something like this is a good guideline: https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/simple-diet

Which is more important, training often or seeing results? Tons of programs have “only” 3 or 4 workouts per week but deliver awesome results. A few programs have 5 or 6 workouts per week but won’t make you strong.

5x5 is a great approach that’s worked for decades. 5/3/1, like Yogi, said is another very popular and very effective program. But again, you have to understand that “training more” doesn’t mean “more results”.

I’d suggest not doing hiit right now. 15-20 minutes of easy cardio 2-3 days, in addition to a good weight training program and smart eating, should be enough to burn some extra calories and manage fat until fat loss becomes a higher priority.

It will help if you specifically figure out what numbers are “strong” in your eyes. A 500 deadlift? Overhead press 225x10? Set some specific long-term goals to aim for.

Also, “Lifting is My Only Joy in Life” is hopefully just a figure of speech. There’s no way lifting weights should actually be the only thing that makes you happy in life. Fix your mindset and remember that the world exists outside the gym.

That much progress in 8 weeks is a fast result already! Getting strong doesn’t take weeks or months, it takes years.

You actually remind me of a client of mine. He actually used the same words at one point (lifting being the only joy in his life… and at the time it was likely true).

Some people are naturally born to be strong and muscular. They will progress at a super fast rate and to those who don’t have the same gifts they can be a source of frustration because no matter how hard we try we never reach a rate of progression remotely close to what they are accomplishing.

They should be a source of motivation, and they can be when they are the “lifting stars” we see in internet videos, but when they are guys we see training in the gym they can do more harm then good:

Because they are progressing so much faster than you, you might be left constantly questioning whether what you are doing training-wise is good or a waste of time. This puts you in a constant state of negativity which will impact your performance and gains. It also will make it hard to stick to a plan since you will se the gifted get more results from other programs and will change yours every few weeks.

It’s a hard truth to accept but someone people are born on upper extreme of the genetic pool when it comes to being able to build muscle and strength. Others are born at the absolute bottom and most of us fall somewhere in between.

Until you accept that, your quest for more strength and more muscle will always give you more frustration than happiness.

I’ve trained guys who worked up to 600lbs+ deadlifts, 360lbs+ cleans, 400lbs+ front squat, 225lbs+ military presses, 315lbs+ push presses in very little time without even focusing on pure strength… I’ve trained WOMEN who worked up to 225-245lbs cleans, 175-195lbs snatches, 330-375lbs deadlifts and 315lbs+ squats, again without focusing on strength all that much.

I’ve had guys add 30-40lbs on a big lift in a matter of weeks.

But I’ve also had clients who fought HARD and LONG to add even 5lbs to a lift.

I’m the same coach. I use similar methods and have the same knowledge. I don’t work with people who aren’t dedicated. The difference simply is genetics.

People easily accept that some people are born with a natural advantage when it comes to a sport like basketball for example… if you are born to be 6’8" you have a better shot than if you are born to be 5’8"… PEOPLE UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT THAT. But the same is true for muscle and strength too, sadly.

However contrary to height, everybody can increase their strength and muscle mass given proper hard work over time. Some will progress at a much slower pace but if they stick with it and work hard day in and day out they WILL make improvements.

The client I mentioned earlier started out at 175lbs on 6’2"… could barely lift the empty barbell on the bench press.

Our first session he couldn’t curl 5 reps with the empty barbell.

He had to fight for every pound of weight and strength. While he isn’t what I would call “strong” yet. He does put up respectable lifts that are better than 90% of the normal gym population and his bodyweight is in the 230s now. Took 2-3 years of constant hard work.

Many times he was discouraged when he saw the big lifts from some of my other clients. But in time he understood that each person was different and he began to focus on his own progression and stopped comparing himself to others.

When you desperately want something that you don’t have it sometimes occupy your mind so much that it can become painful! I know, I’ve been there.

And because of that we want results NOW… it makes us sick that we aren’t strong yet. But you really have to be patient. As it was mentioned the pursuit of strength is a lifelong one. Unless you are born with gifts that most of us don’t have you will have to work super hard and long for small progress. Gains will not come instantly and will always seem to be slower than you want. But you must stay the course. You must continue to work hard, challenging yourself to do better everytime you are in the gym.

Stop comparing yourself to someone else or to what you believe should be a normal rate of progress.

Focus on the process and results will come.

There’s no way I’m gonna top the advice already given so I’m going to second the congratulations above. And hope the thread title is hyperbole.

thanks so much bro… and i will look into that plan… what goal will this plan make me reach

[quote]Yogi wrote:
and congratulations on your weight loss so far[/quote]
thanks so much bro0… will look into that plan

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]rymo wrote:
iam a guy who a male 26 age… my dream it so be really strong and some dcent size and to reach 12 %fat… but strong is important to me[/quote]
If strength is your top priority right now, that’s fine. You already dropped a lot of weight and seen some visible results, but losing so much weight in a fairly short time is a sign you likely lost some muscle along the way. You’ve got to get your eating right. Something like this is a good guideline: https://www.T-Nation.com/diet-fat-loss/simple-diet

Which is more important, training often or seeing results? Tons of programs have “only” 3 or 4 workouts per week but deliver awesome results. A few programs have 5 or 6 workouts per week but won’t make you strong.

5x5 is a great approach that’s worked for decades. 5/3/1, like Yogi, said is another very popular and very effective program. But again, you have to understand that “training more” doesn’t mean “more results”.

I’d suggest not doing hiit right now. 15-20 minutes of easy cardio 2-3 days, in addition to a good weight training program and smart eating, should be enough to burn some extra calories and manage fat until fat loss becomes a higher priority.

It will help if you specifically figure out what numbers are “strong” in your eyes. A 500 deadlift? Overhead press 225x10? Set some specific long-term goals to aim for.

Also, “Lifting is My Only Joy in Life” is hopefully just a figure of speech. There’s no way lifting weights should actually be the only thing that makes you happy in life. Fix your mindset and remember that the world exists outside the gym.[/quote]
well… first ya… lifting is my only haippines… when i lift i feel amazing…any thing outside is just sadness… igot marrieed 5 montha ago to someone i thought i love and now its living hell… thats why i need the weights… feeling strong… is my joy… my work my friends my life… outside is the hell… gym is my freedom… i know it sound dramtic thats my life… and thanks for saying i did fine in these 2 month… this how abd i want to be strong…and i will be no matter what… i spend all my money on clean food… i lift. i have supplments… …i will reach the top

[quote]rymo wrote:
thanks so much bro… and i will look into that plan… what goal will this plan make me reach[/quote]

5/3/1 (or any approach involving following established principles) will get you bigger, stronger, and in better condition.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
You actually remind me of a client of mine. He actually used the same words at one point (lifting being the only joy in his life… and at the time it was likely true).

Some people are naturally born to be strong and muscular. They will progress at a super fast rate and to those who don’t have the same gifts they can be a source of frustration because no matter how hard we try we never reach a rate of progression remotely close to what they are accomplishing.

They should be a source of motivation, and they can be when they are the “lifting stars” we see in internet videos, but when they are guys we see training in the gym they can do more harm then good:

Because they are progressing so much faster than you, you might be left constantly questioning whether what you are doing training-wise is good or a waste of time. This puts you in a constant state of negativity which will impact your performance and gains. It also will make it hard to stick to a plan since you will se the gifted get more results from other programs and will change yours every few weeks.

It’s a hard truth to accept but someone people are born on upper extreme of the genetic pool when it comes to being able to build muscle and strength. Others are born at the absolute bottom and most of us fall somewhere in between.

Until you accept that, your quest for more strength and more muscle will always give you more frustration than happiness.

I’ve trained guys who worked up to 600lbs+ deadlifts, 360lbs+ cleans, 400lbs+ front squat, 225lbs+ military presses, 315lbs+ push presses in very little time without even focusing on pure strength… I’ve trained WOMEN who worked up to 225-245lbs cleans, 175-195lbs snatches, 330-375lbs deadlifts and 315lbs+ squats, again without focusing on strength all that much.

I’m the same coach. I use similar methods and have the same knowledge. I don’t work with people who aren’t dedicated. The difference simply is genetics.

People easily accept that some people are born with a natural advantage when it comes to a sport like basketball for example… if you are born to be 6’8" you have a better shot than if you are born to be 5’8"… PEOPLE UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT THAT. But the same is true for muscle and strength too, sadly.

However contrary to height, everybody can increase their strength and muscle mass given proper hard work over time. Some will progress at a much slower pace but if they stick with it and work hard day in and day out they WILL make improvements.

The client I mentioned earlier started out at 175lbs on 6’2"… could barely lift the empty barbell on the bench press.

He had to fight for every pound of weight and strength. While he isn’t what I would call “strong” yet. He does put up respectable lifts that are better than 90% of the normal gym population and his bodyweight is in the 230s now. Took 2-3 years of constant hard work.

Many times he was discouraged when he saw the big lifts from some of my other clients. But in time he understood that each person was different and he began to focus on his own progression and stopped comparing himself to others.

When you desperately want something that you don’t have it sometimes occupy your mind so much that it can become painful! I know, I’ve been there.

And because of that we want results NOW… it makes us sick that we aren’t strong yet. But you really have to be patient. As it was mentioned the pursuit of strength is a lifelong one. Unless you are born with gifts that most of us don’t have you will have to work super hard and long for small progress. Gains will not come instantly and will always seem to be slower than you want. But you must stay the course. You must continue to work hard, challenging yourself to do better everytime you are in the gym.

Stop comparing yourself to someone else or to what you believe should be a normal rate of progress.

Focus on the process and results will come.[/quote]
Christian Thibaudeau… its an honer for me that u actually replied to me…
in these 2 month i had i lost about 39 lbs and i didint lose strngth …actually today when i was doing back day i finally could do the dips… 5reps… i can do the 1 arm dubmell row with the 88 lbs dumbell… for 7 reps… strict form…push up is better and squat is okay too… but bench numbers stays the same… ppl tell me i look diffrent now… for these 2 month i ate clean… no even cheat or re feed day… i wanna be strong… i wanna be able…to bench and squat and deadlift and shoulder press tons of weight…for 5 reps i wanna reach the 12 %fat… digtial scale said i was 20%tow days ago
so i think iam about 18 or something … i wish i could be ur clint… but im in egypt and this is too far…so please help me with advise on workout …and supllment… i have hidrolzied whey and caisen and l carntine and fish oil…and fat burner called hd and nitric oxide called no3…i also bought creatine mono 2 days ago…so Christian …please help me be happy by reacing my goals…thank u so much for ur time …Ry

for me more lifting days means more work done

[quote]dagill2 wrote:
There’s no way I’m gonna top the advice already given so I’m going to second the congratulations above. And hope the thread title is hyperbole.[/quote]
thank u :smiley: will power and dreaming made me lose fat…

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

Focus on the process and results will come.[/quote]
This is a phenomenal post. Thank you!

Nice progress so far. Is your goal to be the strongest person in the gym or do you have any interest in strength sports?

With regard to life outside the gym, keep in mind that stress won’t help with gains.

[quote]lift206 wrote:
Nice progress so far. Is your goal to be the strongest person in the gym or do you have any interest in strength sports?

With regard to life outside the gym, keep in mind that stress won’t help with gains.[/quote]

i have interest in strength sports thats why i always looking for pwoerlifting plans… dont wanna look like them but i wanna be stronger then them :Di mange stress jst fine… i jst go lift… but my weights r pathetic…i bench for 8 reps 45lbs each side of bar… i finally did a dip… last night on back day and i acautlly did good 5 reps…im soooo happy right now … but guys the plan i posted no one told me what about it…is it good spilt

god i saw 5 3 1 and i really like it… not like 5x5… every muscle gruop has its strngth day !! omg thats what i was looking for …2nd i dont think iam bad gentic…cuz i have a good leg … good for someone who can only squat 45 lbs each side of bar for 10 reps … take a look guys

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]rymo wrote:
thanks so much bro… and i will look into that plan… what goal will this plan make me reach[/quote]

5/3/1 (or any approach involving following established principles) will get you bigger, stronger, and in better condition.[/quote]
bigger stronger and leaner is my goal… u sure 5 3 1 is good enough ?