T Nation

Lifting in the Military?

I will be going into the marines next year, ill be 19. Im not positive on the whole political thing and the war in Iraq, so I dont know if I will be going over there or not.

Ill definitley keep in shape, but not lifting weights for 4 years would set me back quite a bit. Does anyone know if they Marines offer some kind of gym over in Iraq?

I dont know, but thanks for serving our country.

I don’t know about Iraq, but most Marine bases have plenty of gyms.

yes, there is plenty of access to iron.

I second HolyMacaroni. No matter where you’re stationed you’ll have access to some kind of iron. You’ll also have some strong folks to help motivate you.

[quote]WxHerk wrote:
I second HolyMacaroni. No matter where you’re stationed you’ll have access to some kind of iron. You’ll also have some strong folks to help motivate you.[/quote]

Agreed

3 of my friends come back from the USMC bootcamp this friday, I’m excited. Good luck to you.

Don’t you guys think we should mention that once you join you don’t really get to choose where you go?

[quote]HoratioSandoval wrote:
Don’t you guys think we should mention that once you join you don’t really get to choose where you go?

[/quote]

He didn’t ask that. I thought that was understood anyway.

All of the camps that the Marine Corps occupies in Iraq have at least one gym, usually two or three. The Marine Corps bases and airstations in the United States have many gyms. The only time you won’t have regular access to weights and the time to lift on your own is at boot camp and the follow on combat training or school of infantry (if that is your MOS).

Well it all depends on what MOS you have.
If you’re a Grunt in a deployable battalion you’re not going to be able to follow any kind of bodybuilding regime.

Most of the time you’ll be out in the field eating MRE’s and in garrison you’ll be doing a lot of running and body weight training.

Most weight lifting will be done in garrison after work.

In Iraq you should have a Gym. My first deployment I was on a company FOB (Forward Operating Base) and we had a decent gym. My second deployment we had a Plt FOB and we bought free weights from the hadjis.

Problem is going to be time and motivation. You’ll be pretty damn tired and now and again you might get dysentery or something like it and lose all your gains or be out for a week straight and only come back for resupplys. On a good note lifting really really helps with the stress and the bullshit and you’ll still make gains.

To summarize this rant, If you’re really dedicated to lifting don’t go infantry. Pick a non combat arms MOS i.e airwing and you can get huge. Grunts are usually pretty skinny.

Best of luck.

P.S I was called Jarhead before the movie. Really self councious about that.

Seems like alot of people here are in the Marines, Ive heard stories, and Im expecting absolute hell, what will be boot camp be like?

TheBig3, you might find some of the threads in the War Room helpful: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/blog_war_military_army_marine_navy_soldier?pageNo=1&s=forumsNavTop

And thanks to all of our military for serving our country!

[quote]malonetd wrote:
HoratioSandoval wrote:

He didn’t ask that. I thought that was understood anyway.[/quote]

I just know I met tons of people who had completely wrong ideas about what the military was about.

The remark about whether or not he would go to Iraq struck me funny, like it seemed it would be his choice if he was deployed there or not.

And Big3, I’m not ripping on you - I’m just hoping you join for the right reasons. The shape of your body will come second to the mission of your unit.

There are no shortages of places to lift over here in the sandbox. Camps or bases stateside, Europe, Asia, etc - even better gyms.

I’m Army, not Marines. I wish we’d do pullups on our APFT instead of just pushups, situps and 2 mile run.

[quote]HoratioSandoval wrote:
malonetd wrote:
HoratioSandoval wrote:

He didn’t ask that. I thought that was understood anyway.

I just know I met tons of people who had completely wrong ideas about what the military was about.

The remark about whether or not he would go to Iraq struck me funny, like it seemed it would be his choice if he was deployed there or not.

And Big3, I’m not ripping on you - I’m just hoping you join for the right reasons. The shape of your body will come second to the mission of your unit.[/quote]

“Im not positive on the whole political thing and the war in Iraq, so I dont know if I will be going over there or not.”
-Pretty self explanatory.

[quote]TheBig3 wrote:

“Im not positive on the whole political thing and the war in Iraq, so I dont know if I will be going over there or not.”
-Pretty self explanatory.

[/quote]

I was wondering about this too. It’s not self explanatory to me. Am I missing something?

He’s saying by the time he’s in the marines, it will be after election, and so he’s not sure if there will even be an Iraq to go to, or to what extent such an Iraq will be.

I don’t see what is funny or self-explanatory about that.

What will boot camp be like?

Yelling - three DIs in your face, spitting, snarling, telling you you’re the biggest worthless P.O.S. they’ve ever seen in their lives.

Move fast, plan ahead, square yourself & your stuff away, memorize the General Orders & the SMEAC & history & Code of Conduct (etc, etc.) Stay cool & help the other recruits if you get a chance. Work your ass off - cuz you will anyway - and you will do fine.

I wouldn’t have missed it for the world. It was hell at the time. Much more fun to blow stuff up.

Best of luck,

Renee
Cpl USMC 88-92 Semper Fi, Marines!

[quote]Guerrero wrote:
He’s saying by the time he’s in the marines, it will be after election, and so he’s not sure if there will even be an Iraq to go to, or to what extent such an Iraq will be.

I don’t see what is funny or self-explanatory about that.

[/quote]

I understand that interpretation, that’s just not how it reads for me.