Lifting In Prison

Anybody have the DL portion of the video?

[quote]Matt- wrote:
I thought their benches would be stronger. mid 300lbs to low 400lbs seems kinda light for guys that big.[/quote]

Probably the stress and lack of nutrition has nothing to do with this.

There are guys on this board who break out in hives if they don’t have their Surge 30 seconds after they train.

These guys have crappy food/inadequate protein and no supplements or steriods.

If anything, the program is a testatment to what one can accomplish under the worst imaginable circumstances through hard work and dedication.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
There are guys on this board who break out in hives if they don’t have their Surge 30 seconds after they train.
[/quote]

Dude, you got it all wrong. You’re supposed to have Surge before, during, and after you train.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Matt- wrote:
I thought their benches would be stronger. mid 300lbs to low 400lbs seems kinda light for guys that big.

Probably the stress and lack of nutrition has nothing to do with this.

These guys have crappy food/inadequate protein and no supplements or steriods.

If anything, the program is a testatment to what one can accomplish under the worst imaginable circumstances through hard work and dedication.[/quote]

yeah plus Im guessing most if not all dont know much about training for powerlifting not that they would have the equipment that most 400-500lb powerlifting benchers have boards bands ect

There’s a poster in our gym. It shows a guy with a U.S. Penitenary shirt lifting. The caption reads “Every day you don’t work out…someone else does.” Its not so much an argument for or against weights in prison but encourages law enforcement officers to maintain their own fitness.

I work in as a Corrections Officer in a Jail as opposed to a Prison. Our facility does not have weights. By and large [pun intended] 95% of the time I don’t need to use my physical size and strength. But that 5% of the time I do I’m sure glad I’ve got all I do.

I think that for many of the prisoners that had never had anything in their life to look at and thrive on in a positive way, god and lifting makes them feel a sence of belonging.

Prisons arent about the guards, it is about the rehabilitation for our criminals. I believe god and lifting is the best rehabilitation than any counsling.

I would suspect that most prisoners would have access to steroids if they really wanted to do them. Not saying these guys do or do not…there just is no telling. They could probably order some supps, too, if they have a few extra bucks.

[quote]Slyfan wrote:
Anybody have the DL portion of the video?[/quote]

one of those dudes looked like a buff ass ODB

[quote]Matt- wrote:
dl- wrote:
420 bench with a pause at 220. That’s good if you ask me lol.

It is pretty good. but I have seen 20 year old guys when I was in college doing that.

I don’t consider myself very strong and I can bench mid 300’s with a pause.[/quote]

Your views seem somewhat off.

A raw, natural almost 2X bodyweight bench is fantastic, especially with all the other stuff they’ve gotta deal with in prison.

And don’t talk about college weight rooms, there’s enough juice in my college weight room to kill almost every Pro that was on the Olympia stage last year.

[quote]Matt- wrote:
I thought their benches would be stronger. mid 300lbs to low 400lbs seems kinda light for guys that big.[/quote]

That’s about what you’d expect from pec and shoulder benchers.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Kreal7 wrote:

I agree with Chris. You can bench 100 lbs. but still buy a gun and shoot someone. People who want to commit another crime will do it if they lift weights or not.

The entire argument that they shouldn’t lift weights is all due to intimidation. People fear the guy who has arms as big as their head whether he is a criminal or not. Add in the prison time and most of them are shitting their pants just from the idea of it. It says more about the people who oppose it than it does the prisoners.[/quote]

I agree with Prof it seems the guys training are the one’s trying to the “right thing” so to speak, it was the small guys and the one’s on the basketball court the coach said he had issues with