T Nation

Lifting In New Zealand

Hey Everybody,

I remember seeing a few people from NZ on the board from time to time. Basically, I would like them (and anyone else) to give me a little advice.

Next spring, I will be studying at the University of Auckland for a semester. Having only lifted consistently for about a year now, I’m very concerned that I’ll end up backsliding when abroad. Does anyone know about gyms in Auckland? Getting supplements/protein? High protein food? Staying consistent while studying in a foreign country? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Don’t worry, you’ll be fine. There are plenty of good gyms in Auckland, we have plenty of ‘high protein’ foods and you can buy supplements. In fact you may find that we’re not that different from other western nations.

Just look up the gyms when you arrive because it will depend on location more than anything. I’m sure the Uni has a good set-up.

[quote]jedidiah wrote:
Hey Everybody,

I remember seeing a few people from NZ on the board from time to time. Basically, I would like them (and anyone else) to give me a little advice.

Next spring, I will be studying at the University of Auckland for a semester. Having only lifted consistently for about a year now, I’m very concerned that I’ll end up backsliding when abroad. Does anyone know about gyms in Auckland? Getting supplements/protein? High protein food? Staying consistent while studying in a foreign country? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. [/quote]

Getting protein in New Zealand should be the last of your concerns. You should be more worried about the fact that you will be expected to start having sex with sheep once you arrive. You will also suddenly become really shit at all sports in which New Zealand and Austrlia compete against each other (except maybe rugby union).

[quote]Gregatron wrote:
Don’t worry, you’ll be fine. There are plenty of good gyms in Auckland, we have plenty of ‘high protein’ foods and you can buy supplements. In fact you may find that we’re not that different from other western nations.

Just look up the gyms when you arrive because it will depend on location more than anything. I’m sure the Uni has a good set-up.

[/quote]

haha, sorry if I came off sounding like I think the place is backwards or something, I’m sure it’s hella better than this country with our idiot king.

I’m just aware that it’s an island way the hell away from everything (except australia).

I’m pumped to study there, I understand University of Auckland has a good divinity school. I just remember somebody posting on here from haiwaii or somewhere complaining supps and the like were hard to get due to its location.

Thanks for your input.

[quote]jedidiah wrote:
Gregatron wrote:
Don’t worry, you’ll be fine. There are plenty of good gyms in Auckland, we have plenty of ‘high protein’ foods and you can buy supplements. In fact you may find that we’re not that different from other western nations.

Just look up the gyms when you arrive because it will depend on location more than anything. I’m sure the Uni has a good set-up.

haha, sorry if I came off sounding like I think the place is backwards or something, I’m sure it’s hella better than this country with our idiot king.

I’m just aware that it’s an island way the hell away from everything (except australia).

I’m pumped to study there, I understand University of Auckland has a good divinity school. I just remember somebody posting on here from haiwaii or somewhere complaining supps and the like were hard to get due to its location.

Thanks for your input.[/quote]
well you probably wont be able to afford Biotest sups but generic protein powders and plenty of meat should do the trick. …

[quote]jedidiah wrote:
haha, sorry if I came off sounding like I think the place is backwards or something, I’m sure it’s hella better than this country with our idiot king.
[/quote]

You’ll love it.

It’s a couple of islands. Luckily we are far enough away from Australia to avoid the smell and rampant homosexual behaviour. Don’t listen to Helga. He’s just on a high because his rugby team is doing well… For now.

Supps aren’t a problem but you may find them to be more expensive. I currently get whey protein for $18 NZ a kilo. NZ is a main producer of high quality milk products including all types of whey protein. Any other supps I buy online.

No probs. Good luck with the study.