Lifting in a Rams Head

Hey James,

I dont start with Mike until next week. Ive been just doing the MVT…Matty Volume Training LOL

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
Hey James,

I dont start with Mike until next week. Ive been just doing the MVT…Matty Volume Training LOL[/quote]

Working with Mike T, I see. His way of setting up training might be fairly different from what you’re used to, so try to steer clear of doing extra stuff on top of what he prescribes. Good luck!!

Hey bro, how have you been? Have you worked with Mike?

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
Hey bro, how have you been? Have you worked with Mike? [/quote]

I did back in 2009. I posted a 1415 total after working with him for 12 weeks. I’ll tell you up front it’s pretty tough work, but worth it. Just don’t be a dum-dum like me and neglect recovery work.

These are the numbers Im Looking for, Ill be happy with over 1300 in June however. Can you give me some insight as to what the differences in training are say from Adams style?

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
These are the numbers Im Looking for, Ill be happy with over 1300 in June however. Can you give me some insight as to what the differences in training are say from Adams style?[/quote]

Pretty big differences. Mike tends to follow more of a block periodization setup (accumulation, transmutation, realization) and each session focuses more on the three powerlifts or variations thereof than you might have experienced with Adam. One of my old training logs from mid-summer '09 through maybe December of that year should give you a good flavor of what to expect.

Since you are a conventional puller, your back (especially lower back) is probably going to get a lot of work so you really have to pay attention to fatigue in that area and really be honest with yourself as far as assessing RPEs on both DLs and squats. It’s always better to err on the side of over-estimating the difficulty of a lift than under-estimating it, especially when you get to transmutation phases because you will be doing a lot of heavy lifting. Getting carried away with things and calling lifts an 8 when they were actually 9+ will grind you into a bloody paste in no time.

Mike is a very cerebral lifter and obviously a strong guy (2000+ raw totals don’t come along by accident, lol), so you can be sure he will have you on the right path to a big total. If you need any more info, feel free to PM me.

Thanks alot man. Ill check them out!

How about you? How are you feeling?

[quote]MattyXL wrote:

How about you? How are you feeling?[/quote]

I’m in pretty good shape right now, but this damn thing with my hip has required constant attention as far as mobility work and mashing it with a lacrosse ball.

For the past four weeks I’ve been doing Dan John’s Mass Made Simple just as a change of pace. The high-rep squats have been freaking brutal and so have the barbell complexes, but mainly because it’s so different from anything I’ve ever done in the past.

Tonight will be my last day with it as I transition back to something more traditional like 5/3/1.

Cerebral lifting from a Ram’s Head? Will be interesting for sure!

[quote]novaeer wrote:

[quote]MattyXL wrote:

How about you? How are you feeling?[/quote]

I’m in pretty good shape right now, but this damn thing with my hip has required constant attention as far as mobility work and mashing it with a lacrosse ball.

For the past four weeks I’ve been doing Dan John’s Mass Made Simple just as a change of pace. The high-rep squats have been freaking brutal and so have the barbell complexes, but mainly because it’s so different from anything I’ve ever done in the past.

Tonight will be my last day with it as I transition back to something more traditional like 5/3/1.[/quote]

Well start logging again dammit! :slight_smile:

[quote]punnyguy wrote:
Cerebral lifting from a Ram’s Head? Will be interesting for sure![/quote]

Trippy I know lol

Just squats yetserday…

Nothing felt right, squatted and left. I dont know if its sciatic pain but if I dont warm up my low back properly my squats go to shit. I was GMing everything hopefully I can square this away. I bought a pair of Large Rehbands about a month ago Im wondering if I should have ordered the mediums instead as they tend to slip during the workout.

Squat - 135x10 225x10 315x3x3 335x3 365x1 135x20
2 sets of leg press which were hella uncomfortable because of my lower back pain.

Last training day before RTS…full O Meh…

CG Incline Press - 135x20, 185x20, 225x10
Incline Press - 225x10 240x7,5
SS
Chins - 10,10,5,10 (35)

DB Spoon Press - 50x20 70x20
NG Incline DB Press - 100x12,10
SS
Band PD - 4x20

Pendlay Row - 135x20 225x3x10
SS
Face Pull - Stack x 4 x 20

DB Shrug - 125x3x20
SS
DB Laterals - 30x3x20

Shoulder 6 way - 10x3x10

Klokov Press - Bar x 30

Doneski

Still spooning I see. :smiley:

Ha ha , yeah man what can I say I love to spoon!

Did you check out my old log for an idea of what kind of tortu…uh I mean spectacular fun you are in for? You can also glance over some of the training blogs over at Mike’s site because he might have tweaked with the programming some since I worked with him.

I did, and am looking forward to the Block periodization style. Im a little confused as to some of the numbers though, Im assuming the numbers after the weight, sets and reps is the rep effort but then you have a percentage like 7%, what is that?

The % value are what Mike calls fatigue drops, which usually represent a % drop off in weight, or back off sets. So, 7% indicates a 7% reduction from the load that you ramp up to. Say you work up to 200lbs on an exercise, it would mean that you terminate your back off sets when you are no longer able to do 186lbs for the given reps and RPE.

Wow thanks Dave I appreciate the info!

No worries Matty,

I used some of Mike’s ideas a few years ago now when I was training for powerlifting, although I did my own programming. I actually got my strongest using some of his methods. I think you will love it. It may take you a couple of weeks to get a feel for how things work for you but I think that you will really benefit from the programming and at the very least, you will learn a ton about yourself as a lifter in the process.

Definitely will be following this log…