T Nation

Lifting Heavy While Dieting

I have currently been trying to loose fat. I read that while dieting you should lift heavy to perserve muscle. So this is what I have been doing. Let me know what you think.

4 weeks two a days -mornings 10x3 for major muscle groups Evenings 5x8-10 for minor

Mon-Chest AM DIP/Inc Bench(10x3) PMfly/push up/ Tri work (cardio)

Tues- AM Back DB Row/Chins PM cable row/bbcurl cardio

Wed- Shoulders/Arms cardio

Thurs- Legs

Fri- repeat

Then I will add in a few weeks of Singles work at about 90-95% only lifting once a day plus cardio. I am lowering carbs only for now to see how if effects me without making drastic cuts to calories.

I don’t think doing sets of 3 reps really consistutes hypertrophic geared lifting. You’re doing more strength work. Raise your reps to around 6-8, stop the double split (you’ll overtrain and most likely lose more muscle than you want), keep cardio on seperate days or limit your time if it’s done after the weights.

Aside from that, can’t suggest much else,… don’t know your diet.

S

stu, he wants to keep low reps because hes dieting.

why are you lifting 8-10 though? that doesnt make sense, if youre going to lift for strength you lift for strength, you be making any strength gains in the 8-10 range…shit, i dont even lift 8-10 when i want SIZE.

IMHO, there is no reason to be doing any singles work on a cutting phase, needless to say for weeks at a time. Singles are for testing you max strength and as an indicator of where you’re training is. I usually chalk it up to a wasted lifting session since you don’t really get a workout out of it.

I wouldn’t go below sets of 3 personally. I like to keep in in the 4-6 range.

I agree with stu, drop the two a days…

I read where Coach Thibs states two-a-days help in fat loss due to the calories burnt in the two workouts a day. It simply says to lift heavy in the am and lighter in the pm. Doing the same muscle group in the pm as the am.

Waterbury states singles are good during fatloss in the Singles Club article.

Heavy lifting help preserve muscle. Working on getting stronger while lowering the calories will help keep muscle.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:

why are you lifting 8-10 though? that doesnt make sense, if youre going to lift for strength you lift for strength, you be making any strength gains in the 8-10 range…shit, i dont even lift 8-10 when i want SIZE.[/quote]

I got that, I just feel that keeping the reps too low will not allow proper stimulate of enough fibers. When I first started, I kept my reps way too low, and although I got strong as hell, I had very little growth to show as a result.

S

Thanks guys for your responses.

OK, here’s my 3 cents since you asked so nicely…or not…hahaha

Like stu, I think you need to reconsider (or stop) doing the two workouts a day thing as well as the seriously low rep lifting.

I’m fine with being corrected on this one…if you were to raise your reps, say 8-10 & do 3-4 sets, you will be able to increase your metabolic rate & thus burn fat more quicker & easier. Doing cardio post workout is fine (in my book anyway), juz don’t let it go for too long, because you’ll want to refuel with a PWO, which should still contain a simple carbohydrate, ie dextrose, maxi trans, virtago, waxy maise et al.

I perssume that you know diet is the key. Lets juz assume that your getting in enough nutrients to get the job done, then the above plan, as i’ve set out, will do wonders! IMO anyway!

o.s. drink gallons & gallons of water!

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:

why are you lifting 8-10 though? that doesnt make sense, if youre going to lift for strength you lift for strength, you be making any strength gains in the 8-10 range…shit, i dont even lift 8-10 when i want SIZE.

I got that, I just feel that keeping the reps too low will not allow proper stimulate of enough fibers. When I first started, I kept my reps way too low, and although I got strong as hell, I had very little growth to show as a result.

S
[/quote]

right, but when people diet down its because they have put on enough size so adding more isnt their concern, its losing fat and perserving the muscle theyve obtained.

this kid probaly shouldnt be dieting down in the first place since he reads like a total newb but regardless the protocol is to keep reps low in order to make the muscle work but not grow because growing a muscle takes <calories and on a deficit thats kinda impossible.

i feel like we’re looking at two different things here because im sure you know all about dieting down and protocols. hell youve accomplished a lot more than i have and youve been doing this much longer also. so there has to be some kind of miscommunication going on.

You can increase your metabolic rate by lowering rest times. The 10x3 is far superior to 3x10. I do agree with post workout cardio when time is tight.

I have still been reading Thib and Poliquin where two-a-days are good as long as they are not super long, 40min am-20 min pm.

Also…Heavy weights will help keep muscle longer than medium 3x10 schemes.

[quote]Kal-El wrote:
I have currently been trying to loose fat. I read that while dieting you should lift heavy to perserve muscle. So this is what I have been doing. Let me know what you think.

4 weeks two a days -mornings 10x3 for major muscle groups Evenings 5x8-10 for minor

Mon-Chest AM DIP/Inc Bench(10x3) PMfly/push up/ Tri work (cardio)

Tues- AM Back DB Row/Chins PM cable row/bbcurl cardio

Wed- Shoulders/Arms cardio

Thurs- Legs

Fri- repeat

Then I will add in a few weeks of Singles work at about 90-95% only lifting once a day plus cardio. I am lowering carbs only for now to see how if effects me without making drastic cuts to calories.
[/quote]

You will have to find the set point of calories that will allow you function, relatively, fully but not crash. Once you find the crash point add one hundred calories to that and use that as your daily calorie requirement.

However there is another method too.  Stay below your the crash zone, about 200 to 300 lower, for three to four days then on the the next day go 500 calories higher.  

To find you crash zone you must stay on your test calories for at least 3 days as your won't crash on the first day.  

And of course, cook for 30 min or until brown, or in other words play with it until it works.

Thanks fellas!

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I don’t think doing sets of 3 reps really consistutes hypertrophic geared lifting. You’re doing more strength work. Raise your reps to around 6-8, stop the double split (you’ll overtrain and most likely lose more muscle than you want), keep cardio on seperate days or limit your time if it’s done after the weights.

Aside from that, can’t suggest much else,… don’t know your diet.

S
[/quote]

10x3 is fine for fat loss…I like to incorporate some really heavy work like that when dieting. I do have some higher rep days as well.

Thanks jsbrook- That sounds like what I am talking about.