T Nation

Lifting Heavy Makes You Blind!

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5334116.stm

Anyone gone blind from heavy benching?

Presumably squating may make your eyes actually pop out due to the pressure!

Maybe wear a belt around your head?

Hahah…saw this on the news this morning. Nice!

BTW, they played a reel of one larger guy and a couple more middle sized athletic guys training and the newscaster on the Today Show commented that were really big and wondered if the warning applied to regular men. Since so many ‘regular men’ are now lifting weights. HAHAHAAA! Something about that just makes me laugh and fear the idea of ever being ‘regular’.

I think you all know what to do to decrease eye pressure…

It`s medicine, Dude…

LOL!

I read the article, pointless. It has long been known that holding your breath is bad during exercise. Did you check out the pic? This is years of weightlifting?

[quote]dmanor wrote:
It has long been known that holding your breath is bad during exercise.
[/quote]

… It is?

Does this mean it’s safe to masturbate again?

Yeah, yeah, yeah… blah, blah, blah…

“They say that this COULD increase the risk of glaucoma, as the condition is more common in people subjected to frequent changes in eye pressure.”

After looking at the pic in the article i’ve decided i’d rather be blind than look like that!!!

I saw that this morning and almost posted it here. I hate articles like this. So many people criticize my lifestyle and reference articles like this. I am sure someone I know who does not exercise will tell me I am risking blindness for lifting.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
dmanor wrote:

… It is?[/quote]

Joking right? With physical exertion as in weightlifting you shoud breath out druing the exertion, grunting etc. is also a form of releasing the air pressure. First time I post a pic, sorry about that. You were joking right? :slight_smile:

Check out those massive 10" guns! I like the caption: “Weightlifting can stress the body.” Well, DUH.

[quote]dmanor wrote:
jtrinsey wrote:
dmanor wrote:

… It is?

Joking right? With physical exertion as in weightlifting you shoud breath out druing the exertion, grunting etc. is also a form of releasing the air pressure. First time I post a pic, sorry about that. You were joking right? :slight_smile:

[/quote]

I’m not saying you should hold your breath the whole set, but I wouldn’t want to be exhaling on the way up during a heavy squat.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
dmanor wrote:
jtrinsey wrote:
dmanor wrote:

… It is?

I’m not saying you should hold your breath the whole set, but I wouldn’t want to be exhaling on the way up during a heavy squat.[/quote]

OK, that is tricky, from what I have done is you fill your lungs up with air, descend and as you come up you let the air out naturally, not blow out too quickly. I lift raw when I squat, no belt and I have done 20 reps with 300 lbs. The idea is that you need to keep your abs tight, back properly aligned etc. Breathing should be natural. Whatever works for you, just that if your face is turning blue you should breath out. :wink:

[quote]kdad wrote:

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5334116.stm

Anyone gone blind from heavy benching?

Presumably squating may make your eyes actually pop out due to the pressure![/quote]

dude…literally five minutes before i signed onto here and old lady came up to me at the gym desk and was like “do you know that if you lift heavy you can go blind?” i thought she had that confused with another “myth” but now i see what she was saying.

[quote]dmanor wrote:
jtrinsey wrote:
dmanor wrote:
jtrinsey wrote:
dmanor wrote:

… It is?

I’m not saying you should hold your breath the whole set, but I wouldn’t want to be exhaling on the way up during a heavy squat.

OK, that is tricky, from what I have done is you fill your lungs up with air, descend and as you come up you let the air out naturally, not blow out too quickly. I lift raw when I squat, no belt and I have done 20 reps with 300 lbs. The idea is that you need to keep your abs tight, back properly aligned etc. Breathing should be natural. Whatever works for you, just that if your face is turning blue you should breath out. :wink:

[/quote]

I feel ya on what you’re saying. Usually when I’m straining on the way up a little air slips out but I find that if I consciously tried to exhale I would get loose in the upper body.

[quote]Miserere wrote:
Does this mean it’s safe to masturbate again?[/quote]

Only if you don’t hold your breath. You have to hold something else!

I’m hesitant to revive a dead thread, but my take on it is like this…

People often have susceptibilities to various medical conditions. Someone with such a susceptibility, perhaps due to hereditary factors, should look into taking appropriate precautions where available.

For example, lutein and zeaxanthin are antioxidants found in high amounts in our eyes. They are found in vegetables such as spinach, other green leafy vegetables and some supplements.

While eating well and taking supplements may not give you a free pass, it is very possible that susceptibility combined with a lack of factors the body uses to prevent the development of a condition is how these types of things develop.

Finally, given that that some people develop glaucoma without having high intraocular pressure calls into question whether pressure in the eye is really the issue.

From http://www.glaucoma.org/

It was once thought that high pressure within the eye, also known as intraocular pressure or IOP, is the main cause of this optic nerve damage. Although IOP is clearly a risk factor, we now know that other factors must also be involved because even people with “normal” levels of pressure can experience vision loss from glaucoma.

Personally, because I had vision issues and wore contact lenses, I’ve seen an eye care professional regularly. My eye pressure has been checked and my eyes have been examined for pressure and I know I’m currently fine. Phew!

Heh, now that I’ve had laser surgery and don’t have vision issues… I still have to see the eye doctor regularly for follow up checkups.