T Nation

Lifting Gear Advice

I need to buy new gloves and new shoes.

I want glove with maximum padding at the thumb and the palm. I don’t care for the grip, I have lifting straps for that. The main purpose is press. What model would you suggest?

For the shoes, I’m looking for something very stable for squat and deadlift. The more it feel bare foot the better.

Specific model would be appreciated.

What do you think about lifting hook? Anyone tried it?

[quote]ALX wrote:
I need to buy new gloves and new shoes.

I want glove with maximum padding at the thumb and the palm. I don’t care for the grip, I have lifting straps for that. The main purpose is press. What model would you suggest?

For the shoes, I’m looking for something very stable for squat and deadlift. The more it feel bare foot the better.

Specific model would be appreciated.

What do you think about lifting hook? Anyone tried it?[/quote]

Vibrams for shoes (they’re awesome and like being barefoot)

Nothing for gloves (cause gloves are gay lol) :slight_smile:

.greg.

chuck taylors are a good alternative. I have two pairs.

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]ALX wrote:
I need to buy new gloves and new shoes.

I want glove with maximum padding at the thumb and the palm. I don’t care for the grip, I have lifting straps for that. The main purpose is press. What model would you suggest?

For the shoes, I’m looking for something very stable for squat and deadlift. The more it feel bare foot the better.

Specific model would be appreciated.

What do you think about lifting hook? Anyone tried it?[/quote]

Vibrams for shoes (they’re awesome and like being barefoot)

Nothing for gloves (cause gloves are gay lol) :slight_smile:

.greg.[/quote]

You are using this kind of shoes and you are afraid to look gay with gloves :slight_smile: I know I asked as much barefoot as possible, but I would say not that much. I want some minimal foot protection.

Wrestling shoes have some ankle support and have done wonders for my foot pain. I switch to chucks for skwat day.

My gloves are pink with sequins and they go all the way up over my elbow, so I don’t get callouses on my forearms either.

[quote]ALX wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]ALX wrote:
I need to buy new gloves and new shoes.

I want glove with maximum padding at the thumb and the palm. I don’t care for the grip, I have lifting straps for that. The main purpose is press. What model would you suggest?

For the shoes, I’m looking for something very stable for squat and deadlift. The more it feel bare foot the better.

Specific model would be appreciated.

What do you think about lifting hook? Anyone tried it?[/quote]

Vibrams for shoes (they’re awesome and like being barefoot)

Nothing for gloves (cause gloves are gay lol) :slight_smile:

.greg.[/quote]

You are using this kind of shoes and you are afraid to look gay with gloves :slight_smile: I know I asked as much barefoot as possible, but I would say not that much. I want some minimal foot protection.
[/quote]

haha! good point… but mine look like this so as to be not all the way gay

.greg.

I’ve been deadlifting with Asics “Split Second” wrestling shoes since January, and I love them. Super comfortable, feel like there’s almost nothing there, and give some ankle support. In fact, I like them so much that I usually wear them around town instead of regular tennis shoes, and started to use them while squatting recently. And gloves are gayer than a fanny pack full of rainbow dicks. Real men have calluses so big that its like running your dick across a cheese grater during fap time. That is all.

greg is right.

vibram 5 fingers are sweet
gloves are gay
and
the KSO version is the least gay

If you are not interested in the Vibram 5 Fingers (which are great for deadlifting/squats)
I’d suggest Nike Free 5.0 or if you have wider feet Nike Free Sparq.
As for gloves…like everyone else have said…they are gay.

Another vote for wrestling shoes. Way better than chucks, IMO.

Also, embrace the calluses.

Grow callouses for glove, it will improve your grip strength.

I wear chucks for most everything in the gym.

awhile back these two guys were lifting at my gym in weight gloves. i went up to them and said- “i can’t believe you guys haven’t heard about the new study done on weight gloves and high estrogen levels in men” they looked at me confused. I continued- “yeah… there was this study done by some university that showed that during the manufacturing process of weight lifting gloves a substance is added that when it comes in contact with water is converted to estrogen.” “Therefore, when a male sweats in his weight lifting gloves the sweat releases the estrogen that is then absorbed into the skin”. i then asked if either one of them have experienced and recent water retentiion, irritablitlity or sensitive nipples. one guy actually touched his nipples to check for sensitivity and the other said “yeah… i have been feeling a bit bloated and short tempered” i said- “there you go… you had better get rid of those damn gloves before your boys start to shrivel up and your voice changes”. they both took their gloves off…

i don’t think i ever told them i was joking.

if i wanted to play the same joke on folks in my gym now, i would have to have pretty much everyone in the gym stop and listen. everyone seems to wear those gay-ass wrist wrap/glove combination.

[quote]Ty Carlson wrote:
And gloves are gayer than a fanny pack full of rainbow dicks. Real men have calluses so big that its like running your dick across a cheese grater during fap time. That is all.[/quote]

LOL that was good

I bought Chuck Taylor knock off’s from Wal-Mart, $10. Starting to fall apart after a year but the support is great. Even got some “nice shoes” comments from the lady folk … unless they were mocking me.

[quote]JaX Un wrote:
greg is right.

vibram 5 fingers are sweet
gloves are gay
and
the KSO version is the least gay[/quote]

^THIS (shameless plug for my own advice)

on a sidenote/mini highjack:

I was serching for a good gym in SD and saw that you are in SD too Jax… Do you know a good lifting gym in SD? I was thinking of trying World Gym over off the 5.

Ok sorry for the mini highjack… anyway back to the topic at hand…

blah blah blah gloves are gay… yadda yadda dont be a homo and get some callouses! :slight_smile:

.greg.

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]JaX Un wrote:
greg is right.

vibram 5 fingers are sweet
gloves are gay
and
the KSO version is the least gay[/quote]

^THIS (shameless plug for my own advice)

on a sidenote/mini highjack:

I was serching for a good gym in SD and saw that you are in SD too Jax… Do you know a good lifting gym in SD? I was thinking of trying World Gym over off the 5.

Ok sorry for the mini highjack… anyway back to the topic at hand…

blah blah blah gloves are gay… yadda yadda dont be a homo and get some callouses! :slight_smile:

.greg.[/quote]

I lift at San Diego State University. for non-students(which i am guessing you are) it is 37$ a month and has just about everything you could ever need in a gym (minus a platform). Basketball courts, heavy bags, speed bags, hammer strength machines, rock climbing, saunas and insanely hot girls.

I have never lifted at Worlds Gym off the 5. I have heard nothing but awesome reviews of the place and i know they have hosted a guest posing event there with Jay Cutler a little more then 1 year ago. If i had to change gyms, i would definitely go check out Worlds Gym.

What brings you to SD?

Thanks to all, I’ll look at different model and pick one pair or 2 of shoes.

As for glove, I don’t care about callouses, I already have plenty of them. It’s just that my hand and arms become numbs when pressing and not using gloves.

I may try the gay shoes and also buy a pair of split second wresling shoes. Now I need to find a gay somewhere for a glove advice, and not to have to pay the high price for the advice :wink:

Be prepared to get to do a lot of explaining when you get the vibrams. I get asked at least once a week on mine as to what their purpose is. On the plus side, they’re an AWESOME conversation starter for girls. I’ve been approached many a time while wearing mine.

[quote]GVkid wrote:
Be prepared to get to do a lot of explaining when you get the vibrams. I get asked at least once a week on mine as to what their purpose is. On the plus side, they’re an AWESOME conversation starter for girls. I’ve been approached many a time while wearing mine.[/quote]

haha yes I imagine, but since I’m gay (remember I’m using gloves), do you think guy will also approach me and asking questions? lol

[quote]GVkid wrote:
Be prepared to get to do a lot of explaining when you get the vibrams. I get asked at least once a week on mine as to what their purpose is. On the plus side, they’re an AWESOME conversation starter for girls. I’ve been approached many a time while wearing mine.[/quote]

this is true^^ People always ask me about them and I just tell them its for ninja training :slight_smile:

.greg.