Lifting for Tall Guys

I would like to see an article on lifting for tall guys. Along the lines of Christian’s article for short stuby lifter.

Anyone else find this useful?

[quote]Jersey5150 wrote:
I would like to see an article on lifting for tall guys. Along the lines of Christian’s article for short stuby lifter.

Anyone else find this useful?[/quote]

Definitely!!!

Charles Staley had an article pertaining this subject about 3-4 years ago on this site.

I’d love to see a new one.

Shugart’s Double Tap with Cressey talks about this topic. Basically, if you’re under 6’3" or 6’4", that’s not “tall enough” to preclude you from doing any certain exercises, so we’ve got no excuses. It’s a great interview.

I’d like to see this type of article too. I know that there was an article from TC a few years ago that addressed the problems faced by tall body builders, but that didn’t really cover any technical aspects of lifting - it was more about muscle growth and appearance. I’ve often complained that being taller was a disadvantage, but there’s a Bulgarian Olympic Lifter who’s around 6’9" - I believe that he won a medal in Athens. Anyway, I don’t have any excuses any more.

Here’s one:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=461061

I would definitely like to see this article. I’ve always been pretty weak on bench w/ my best 1RM being 325 lbs.

[quote]Jersey5150 wrote:

I think it would be useful if you’d wring out your panties and do some serious training. You’re only like 5’11", and two inches of that is ego.

[quote]RIT Jared wrote:
Jersey5150 wrote:

I think it would be useful if you’d wring out your panties and do some serious training. You’re only like 5’11", and two inches of that is ego.[/quote]

[quote]Jersey5150 wrote:

Check out the book “Scrawny to Brawny” by John Berardi and Michael Mejia. It talks about lifting weights and putting on weight for taller people who usually have long limbs that put them at a disavantage when doing the main compound lifts; Bench Press, Squat and deadlift. The best part is that rather than replacing these lifts with less effective alternatives, they tell you how to tweak your technique/form to work with your long arms and legs.

Here’s the link to their website:

[quote]RIT Jared wrote:
Jersey5150 wrote:

I think it would be useful if you’d wring out your panties and do some serious training. You’re only like 5’11", and two inches of that is ego.[/quote]

From your lower vantange point I am sure it is difficult to tell the difference between 5’11" and 6’1" it all just “up”

Mike and I have a piece in the works that I think you’ll really like. We’re hoping to finish it up in the next few days.

[quote]Eric Cressey wrote:
Mike and I have a piece in the works that I think you’ll really like. We’re hoping to finish it up in the next few days.[/quote]

Sounds good I am looking foward to it.

I am 6’5 and weight 260 I am working out 2 - 3 times per week… I am at 11% body Fat … pretty lean for being 34 and not being able to work out as often as I like… However, when I started out I was 6’5 and only weighed 185 pounds… slim jim… I found the best routine for me is more rest between sets, eating 5 - 6 times day and my workouts last no more than 30 - 40 minutes every other day.

Day 1
Chest - Tri
Incline DB Fly 2 sets 6- 8 reps
Incline DB Press 2 sets 6 - 8 reps heavy
Pullovers heavy 2 sets 6 - 8 reps
Tri - Pushdowns 2 sets heavy 6 - 8 reps
Skull crushers 2 sets 6 - 8 reps Heavy

Day 2 off no working out… rest, eat

Day 3 Legs/caves
Leg press 2 sets heavy 6 - 8 reps
Squats 2 sets heavy 6 - 8 reps
Leg extensions 2 sets heavy 6 -8 reps
Caves
Seated and standing 2 sets 10-12 reps heavy

Day 4
Off…rest, eat

Day 5 Back/Bi’s
Deadlift Heavy 2 sets 6 - 8 reps HEAVY
Bar Bell Row 2 sets 6 - 8 reps Heavy
DB Row 2 sets 6 - 8 reps Heavy
Pull Downs 2 sets 6 -8 reps Heavy
Bis
DB hammer curls 2 sets 6 - 8reps heavy
Olympic Bar curls 2 sets 6 - 8 reps HEAVY

Day 6 OFF …REST, EAT

Day 7 Shoulders
Seated Military Press 2 sets 6 - 8 reps Heavy
Rear delt flys 2 sets 6 - 8 reps
front raises 2 sets 6 - 8 reps
side raises 2 sets 6 - 8 reps
Shrugs 2 sets 6 - 8 reps HEAVY

Day 8 OFF rest, eat

Day 9 Hamstrings/caves
Stiff leg Dead Lifts 2 sets 6 - 8 reps Heavy
Leg curls 2 sets 6 - 8 reps HEAVY
Leg press (feet high on board, toes over the edge) 2 sets 6 - 8 reps Heavy

Day 10 Off… eat, rest

I know every time I explain this routine… people say all kinds off things… not enough work out, to much time off… this routine WILL MAKE YOU GROW… I started off at 185 lbs and 5 years later I was 280lbs and 7% body Fat… I eat right, I rest, I don’t over train, I take my protien religiously (champion nutrition whey protein and Muscel milk before bed.

Being tall you can’t work out like the short bulky guys…we need more rest we need to make sure we are not over training and allow our bodies to recover…we NEED TO EAT 6 TIMES A DAY.

IF you follow this routine you WILL feel like doing more than what is prescribed as far as your work out goes…DON’T… Trust the WORKOUT… Give it 2 solid months and see for yourself… I have tried several workout programs and this is the one I always come back to because it works…

[quote]myworld555 wrote:
I am 6’5 and weight 260 I am working out 2 - 3 times per week… I am at 11% body Fat … pretty lean for being 34 and not being able to work out as often as I like… However, when I started out I was 6’5 and only weighed 185 pounds… slim jim… I found the best routine for me is more rest between sets, eating 5 - 6 times day and my workouts last no more than 30 - 40 minutes every other day.

Day 1
Chest - Tri
Incline DB Fly 2 sets 6- 8 reps
Incline DB Press 2 sets 6 - 8 reps heavy
Pullovers heavy 2 sets 6 - 8 reps
Tri - Pushdowns 2 sets heavy 6 - 8 reps
Skull crushers 2 sets 6 - 8 reps Heavy

Day 2 off no working out… rest, eat

Day 3 Legs/caves
Leg press 2 sets heavy 6 - 8 reps
Squats 2 sets heavy 6 - 8 reps
Leg extensions 2 sets heavy 6 -8 reps
Caves
Seated and standing 2 sets 10-12 reps heavy

Day 4
Off…rest, eat

Day 5 Back/Bi’s
Deadlift Heavy 2 sets 6 - 8 reps HEAVY
Bar Bell Row 2 sets 6 - 8 reps Heavy
DB Row 2 sets 6 - 8 reps Heavy
Pull Downs 2 sets 6 -8 reps Heavy
Bis
DB hammer curls 2 sets 6 - 8reps heavy
Olympic Bar curls 2 sets 6 - 8 reps HEAVY

Day 6 OFF …REST, EAT

Day 7 Shoulders
Seated Military Press 2 sets 6 - 8 reps Heavy
Rear delt flys 2 sets 6 - 8 reps
front raises 2 sets 6 - 8 reps
side raises 2 sets 6 - 8 reps
Shrugs 2 sets 6 - 8 reps HEAVY

Day 8 OFF rest, eat

Day 9 Hamstrings/caves
Stiff leg Dead Lifts 2 sets 6 - 8 reps Heavy
Leg curls 2 sets 6 - 8 reps HEAVY
Leg press (feet high on board, toes over the edge) 2 sets 6 - 8 reps Heavy

Day 10 Off… eat, rest

I know every time I explain this routine… people say all kinds off things… not enough work out, to much time off… this routine WILL MAKE YOU GROW… I started off at 185 lbs and 5 years later I was 280lbs and 7% body Fat… I eat right, I rest, I don’t over train, I take my protien religiously (champion nutrition whey protein and Muscel milk before bed.

Being tall you can’t work out like the short bulky guys…we need more rest we need to make sure we are not over training and allow our bodies to recover…we NEED TO EAT 6 TIMES A DAY.

IF you follow this routine you WILL feel like doing more than what is prescribed as far as your work out goes…DON’T… Trust the WORKOUT… Give it 2 solid months and see for yourself… I have tried several workout programs and this is the one I always come back to because it works…

[/quote]

Are you saying that you gained almost 100 lbs. of muscle in five years using this routine? That is unbelievable.