'Lifting for Strength is a Foolish Idea'

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]MattyXL wrote:

It doesn’t seem unreasonable to me that a bodybuilder would find powerlifting foolish. If he thought it was something you could appreciate, wouldn’t they be powerlifters instead of bodybuilders?

I respect what bodybuilders do, but ultimately I could also say I think it’s foolish. I have zero desire to do it.

It works both ways.[/quote]

Why cant I appreciate BBers (which I do) but not train in that style and not find it foolish. Just because I have no desire to do it, it doesn’t mean I find it foolish. [/quote]

I can’t see having NO desire to do something and not being able to find it at least a little foolish. Otherwise, I imagine at least a little desire to do it would be there.

But really, I gave up what other people thought about me or what I did in high school.
[/quote]

I guess it would be the same way I view soccer, I have zero desire to do it, but I respect the sport.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:

[quote]MattyXL wrote:

It doesn’t seem unreasonable to me that a bodybuilder would find powerlifting foolish. If he thought it was something you could appreciate, wouldn’t they be powerlifters instead of bodybuilders?

I respect what bodybuilders do, but ultimately I could also say I think it’s foolish. I have zero desire to do it.

It works both ways.[/quote]

Why cant I appreciate BBers (which I do) but not train in that style and not find it foolish. Just because I have no desire to do it, it doesn’t mean I find it foolish. [/quote]

I can’t see having NO desire to do something and not being able to find it at least a little foolish. Otherwise, I imagine at least a little desire to do it would be there.

But really, I gave up what other people thought about me or what I did in high school.
[/quote]

I guess it would be the same way I view soccer, I have zero desire to do it, but I respect the sport.[/quote]

I respect the athlete in soccer, but I think it’s a foolish game.

Whatever.

He’s some random guy on the internet posting his views.

It’s a pretty tame post as, not like the Misc or 4chan or /fit

So do you find bodybuilding foolish?

[quote]detazathoth wrote:
Whatever.

He’s some random guy on the internet posting his views.

It’s a pretty tame post as, not like the Misc or 4chan or /fit [/quote]

Most of it is tame, but I dont think calling powerlifting foolish is a tame statement.

You are right its just a guy on the net, but it did bother me…Ill get over it

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
So do you find bodybuilding foolish?[/quote]

Yeah, honestly. I respect the dedication it takes to do it, but I can’t wrap my brain around the idea of the “end” being a bodybuilding show.

It’s why I don’t do it.

"(This is for bodybuilding… AKA building big muscles, not lifting the most weight possible/ego gratification. It’s for looking good naked, as opposed to being super-duper strong) "

If anyone bothered to read his whole post. In the name of building the most aesthetic physique possible while not caring about anything else, especially at an advanced level, lifting for strength is dumb.

If strength is your ends, it’s not dumb, but that isn’t what he said.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
"(This is for bodybuilding… AKA building big muscles, not lifting the most weight possible/ego gratification. It’s for looking good naked, as opposed to being super-duper strong) "

If anyone bothered to read his whole post. In the name of building the most aesthetic physique possible while not caring about anything else, especially at an advanced level, lifting for strength is dumb.

If strength is your ends, it’s not dumb, but that isn’t what he said.[/quote]

Not sure what you mean…

IMO all weightlifting has some ego involved in it whether its lifting the most weight or looking good at the beach…I took it as if he is saying that BBing is ego-less whereas PLing is all about ego…both are totally about ego in some shape or form

[quote]MattyXL wrote:

Yeah, honestly. I respect the dedication it takes to do it, but I can’t wrap my brain around the idea of the “end” being a bodybuilding show.

It’s why I don’t do it.[/quote]

Fair enough

Trying to figure out how wanting to lift as much weight as possible is ego gratification, but wanting to “look good naked” isn’t.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:

It’s why I don’t do it.[/quote]

x2

I follow the sport, but I can’t bear myself to actually compete in it.

I think what DD was trying to say was that the OP didnt mean to say powerlifting dumb, but that powerlifting for bodybuilding is dumb?

At Least that’s what I think he was trying to say.

[quote]illadelphia91 wrote:
I think what DD was trying to say was that the OP didnt mean to say powerlifting dumb, but that powerlifting for bodybuilding is dumb?

At Least that’s what I think he was trying to say. [/quote]

Gotcha…and if he said it like that I would agree. But again that goes w/o saying.

[quote]renaissance wrote:
Trying to figure out how wanting to lift as much weight as possible is ego gratification, but wanting to “look good naked” isn’t.[/quote]

Me too

[quote]MattyXL wrote:

[quote]illadelphia91 wrote:

At Least that’s what I think he was trying to say. [/quote]

Gotcha…and if he said it like that I would agree. But again that goes w/o saying.[/quote]

Yup.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:

[quote]frankjl wrote:
Who is that guy? I never go over to that forum so I am completely ignorant as to who that is. Does this person at least have some credibility when it comes to training?

Either way, those statements don’t bother me in the slightest.[/quote]

I do venture to the forum, he likes to remain anonymous somewhat, he seems knowledgeable with regards to BBing.

Do they not bother you because he has no relevance in PLing? I dont know, it bothers me when when someone basically takes a shit on what I like to do…
[/quote]

Maybe it’s because I know how much I enjoy what I do. Or maybe it’s because I have actual problems, not make-believe problems that make-believe people invent. Maybe because this weekend I’ll be competing at the Arnold Classic while others sit on their couch and pontificate about the merits of training styles on an anonymous internet forum.

If I got upset every time someone took a shit on what I believe in I’d be a very miserable man.

[quote]frankjl wrote:

[quote]MattyXL wrote:

[quote]frankjl wrote:
Who is that guy? I never go over to that forum so I am completely ignorant as to who that is. Does this person at least have some credibility when it comes to training?

Either way, those statements don’t bother me in the slightest.[/quote]

I do venture to the forum, he likes to remain anonymous somewhat, he seems knowledgeable with regards to BBing.

Do they not bother you because he has no relevance in PLing? I dont know, it bothers me when when someone basically takes a shit on what I like to do…
[/quote]

Maybe it’s because I know how much I enjoy what I do. Or maybe it’s because I have actual problems, not make-believe problems that make-believe people invent. Maybe because this weekend I’ll be competing at the Arnold Classic while others sit on their couch and pontificate about the merits of training styles on an anonymous internet forum.

If I got upset every time someone took a shit on what I believe in I’d be a very miserable man.[/quote]

I gotcha. FTR within the scope of this site I have a problem with it…it certainly doesn’t rank up there with my “real” problems which I have plenty to keep me busy. Ill still get up to go to work and provide for my “real” responsibilities whether his comments bothered me or not.

Calling something “foolish” because it’s possible to get injured doing it, when the only certainty in life is that we are all going to die someday, is not simply foolish, but out-of-touch with reality.

Maybe the guy really knows his BB shit, but I read that thread, and he really just sounds like a pussy.

Its just the internet where anyone can say anything