T Nation

Lifting for Over an Hour

I’ve heard so many times that your workout shouldn’t last longer than 1 hour although i’ve also heard that it doesn’t matter if you drink a shake or have a good meal before the workout.

So should I stay under 1 hour for my workouts?

How long do your workouts usually last?

I work out as long as it takes me to get my sets in. I also only rest now 1 minute between each set. I used to do 2 solid minutes. Sometimes my work out last 2 hours. I mean There is no right way or wrong way. Everyone is different. You might not be able to hang an hour where as the next guy can do three hours straight. Test some different schedules and see what you like and can do. Most importantly listen to your body and not the guy’s next to you who has been lifting for 5 days a week the last 10 years.

It’s a good rule of thumb to keep it under an hour, but it’s not the end of the world if your workout runs longer. Mine last anywhere from 60-90 minutes depending on the workout.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
It’s a good rule of thumb to keep it under an hour, but it’s not the end of the world if your workout runs longer. Mine last anywhere from 60-90 minutes depending on the workout.[/quote]

What he said.

It’s almost impossible to keep the intensity at a sufficient level for decent progress when lifting for over an hour, especially for an inexperienced lifter.

You cannot substitute intensity with volume.

Thanks, I’m glad to hear that its ok to go over an hour.
I only do about 5 exercises per workout but when you have to rest for upto 3 minutes on maximal effort sets its kind of hard to have a quick workout.

The question is why you’re taking so long. Are you just doing things to fill time, or are you using your time wisely?

Well i’m using the westside for skinny bastards template so i’m sure my time is well spent

Ah, good. Yeah, some workouts can run long. An hour is just an arbitrary time. Just make sure you’re holding your rest periods and you’ll be fine.

My shoulders workouts take about 40 minutes, same for arms. Back and chest (individually) can take me up to an hour but my leg workout never took me less than 100 minutes :open_mouth:

I disagree that an hour is just an arbitrary number. When you start your workout your body release growth hormones. At around 45 minutes into your workout cortisol (catabolic hormone) begins to increase as the beneficial hormones start to decline. That’t not to say that you don’t make any gains after an hour, but your body is less receptive after a certain amount of time. If I go over an hour it’s because I was doing more talking than lifting.

You can’t go for hours upon hours every day and expect to get HUGE, but at the same time I’ve never seen someone who was HUGE who never lifted for more then an hour or two. Especially at a young age.

If you can go for more than 90 minutes you are probably taking it easy, and not pushing yourself, or you are useless the rest of the day.