T Nation

Lifting for 4 Months, What Should I Do?

I have been lifting for 4 months already and I wanted to know what you guys think I should do. Should I cut or clean bulk? I semi-started a diet this past week but I have no idea if it’s a good diet and I also started doing more cardio. Please critique and give me some advice! Also, I was wondering if I have gyno.

Stats:
Height - 6 ft
Weight - 192

Workout Routine:
Alternate between upper and lower workouts with cardio right after each workout (like a mile or so) from Monday to Friday

Diet:

Breakfast - some cereals and yogurt with granola

Snack 1: Almonds and fruit

Lunch: 2 grilled chicken or tuna sandwiches

Snack 2: Yogurt with oats

Dinner: A good/cheat meal

Post-workout: Whey protein shake

Before bed: Casein protein shake

Total Cal = 2300

Cut or Clean Bulk? Its up to you.

Me Personally? I don’t want to be a pretty boy. Do you?

I have been reading a lot on this site about how clean bulks are doomed to fail but I honestly don’t know yet. I recently did a progress check and wasn’t too happy with getting about 3700-3800 kcal and I weigh less than you! I am going to start training more often/harder and see if that makes a difference however.

I would ditch the running or whatever right after your resistance training but thats just me. If you wanna do cardio I would do it on your “rest” days if you seek to gain weight or push heaviar.

Should you cut or bulk? Your going to need to be more specific with what your end goals are. Are you looking to be cut at 175 or do you want to be big and cut at 220? That type of stuff.

my goal is to be at 9-10% BF to have the six pack semi visible but at the same time maintain muscle size. maybe be at around 180 lbs after i finish this phase. does this seem logical? if so, what should i do?

You should start gaining now

the fuck are you people talking about. THis kid has been lifting for FOUR FUCKING MONTHS.

There is no such thing as “cut or bulk” after 4 months. You aren’t a competitive bodybuilder. You should be eating a diet rich in quailty protein. Carbs at the right time, depending on your body type and metabolism. A a broad variety of fats to maintain proper health and hormone function.

You’ll know if you are eating enough by how much weight you gain and how much stronger you are getting. If only one of the two are increasing, you are doing something wrong.

If your goal is to be 180 at 6ft you should go to a different website. But whatever.

Your bodyfat PERCENTAGE isnt high. But you dont look muscular and lean because you havent achieved the “muscular” part yet. You have to have actual muscle if you dont want the soft “regular-american” look.

Your diet is miserable. But that’s not your fault. You have plenty to learn. Making mistakes is not something to get discouraged about. 2300 calories is a joke for a 6ft tall male. Please read the stickied threads in this forum. And hopefully others will post links to posts made by people who have listed some of the foods they eat on a daily basis.

Your first order of business should be to get around 280g of protein (a bit more would be better) in your diet with more than half of it coming from whole foods. The more protein from whole foods, the better. Even if you were trying to lose some fat you’d still need over 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
the fuck are you people talking about. THis kid has been lifting for FOUR FUCKING MONTHS.

There is no such thing as “cut or bulk” after 4 months. You aren’t a competitive bodybuilder. You should be eating a diet rich in quailty protein. Carbs at the right time, depending on your body type and metabolism. A a broad variety of fats to maintain proper health and hormone function.

You’ll know if you are eating enough by how much weight you gain and how much stronger you are getting. If only one of the two are increasing, you are doing something wrong.

If your goal is to be 180 at 6ft you should go to a different website. But whatever.

Your bodyfat PERCENTAGE isnt high. But you dont look muscular and lean because you havent achieved the “muscular” part yet. You have to have actual muscle if you dont want the soft “regular-american” look.

Your diet is miserable. But that’s not your fault. You have plenty to learn. Making mistakes is not something to get discouraged about. 2300 calories is a joke for a 6ft tall male. Please read the stickied threads in this forum. And hopefully others will post links to posts made by people who have listed some of the foods they eat on a daily basis.

Your first order of business should be to get around 280g of protein (a bit more would be better) in your diet with more than half of it coming from whole foods. The more protein from whole foods, the better. Even if you were trying to lose some fat you’d still need over 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight. [/quote]

Listen to Bonez

if you cut, you might look like a twink

No offense OP if you indeed aren’t a troll but you dont like like you’ve ever lifted weights in your life. You need to start lifting weights. If you want abs then you need to dial in your diet and training.

.greg.

I’m definitely not a troll and I am in the beginners section of the forums because I really want to learn about weightlifting and the different phases. From what I’ve read from the response, I should not cut and just keep bulking (dirty bulking I’m assuming) . Does 205 sound like a good weight target? Should I cut after? Also, I had never done leg workouts consistently until this past week so does that mean I should eliminate cardio form my workout since I am burning extra calories from doing lower body?

I found the “bodybuilding Bible” by bricknyce really helpful for programming. I always thought mentioning “cut” meant shred more fat irregardless of size. Well, thats why im in the beginners forum!

Enough with the “dirty bulking” and “clean bulking”. A ‘dirty’ bulk implies that you dont mind putting on excess fat. No one advocates that for people who want to look good, maybe for powerlifters with very specific goals but anyway. Gain as much fat as youre comfortable with.

Your goal is to add as much muscle as possible. If that means you can’t do it while keeping ripped abs (doesnt apply to you yet) then so be it. But the goal is never to add EXCESS fat. This also does not mean to go on a super restrictive diet. But there are certain things that have no place in bodybuilding. Like soda and candy.

About the cardio. Do some. SOME. Low intensity stuff after a workout. Or fasted morning cardio to increase your appetite if you need that. If you enjoy doing cardio, do it. If you dont gain weight, eat more.

Bonez, is it possible to get really muscular without adding too much fat? I read the t-cell alpha stuff and I was getting mixes messages. Sorry it may seem like a dumbass question but I dont want to beat around the bush.

[quote]earthquake wrote:
Bonez, is it possible to get really muscular without adding too much fat? I read the t-cell alpha stuff and I was getting mixes messages. Sorry it may seem like a dumbass question but I dont want to beat around the bush.[/quote]

It depends completely on how good or bad one’s genetics are. There’s also a lot of room for interpretation and opinion when it comes to “too much fat” and “really muscular”.

[quote]imisnot12 wrote:
I’m definitely not a troll and I am in the beginners section of the forums because I really want to learn about weightlifting and the different phases. From what I’ve read from the response, I should not cut and just keep bulking (dirty bulking I’m assuming) . Does 205 sound like a good weight target? Should I cut after? Also, I had never done leg workouts consistently until this past week so does that mean I should eliminate cardio form my workout since I am burning extra calories from doing lower body?[/quote]
All the good advice has already been given. I just wanted to say try not to worry too much about “bulking” and “cutting” yet. Just focus on lifting hard, eating lots, and getting plenty of sleep.

You’ll find that as you get more muscular you become much less worried about a little bit of fat that would piss you off when smaller. You’ll find you become more confident in yourself as well, it’s a great journey.

OP, definitely listen to bonez. It looks like your days worth of food is about two meals worth of food.

At this point you should be doing something along the lines of eat, lift hard, eat a lot more, sleep, repeat. If you are putting on a little too much fat either scale the calories back a little or up the intensity of your workouts, which is probably the better choice.

I have your whole day for breakfast.

Bulk till you think you’re getting fat, which can take YEARS, and then cut to an acceptable level, which can take months.

For your size (thanks for adding a pic), all I would concern myself with is getting stronger.

To me, STRONG(ER) > being pretty. You may get visible abs on your diet and your current plan, but good luck being able to lift heavy shit or being a useful human.