Lifting Daily on Chemo

[quote]furo wrote:
You are a huge inspiration Panzerfaust, your attitude is incredible. All the best with your recovery and lifting.[/quote]

[quote]cubuff2028 wrote:
damn dude. what’s my excuse… ? maintain your attitude and you will succeed in anything you aspire to do. [/quote]

[quote]Jaynick77 wrote:
@panzer: You should join Jim’s website. It would be cool to hear more about your progress and stuff. [/quote]

Thanks guys. There are people who continue to lift with amputated limbs FFS (even on these forums) so hell, I have no excuse either! Chemo sounds like pure doom, but in reality six months is not a long time and hey even if I am functioning at 50% of my optimum… shouldn’t that just mean I lift 50% of my normal weight? Ha

@Jaynick I may join again; I was a member for a month and quite enjoyed it. Depends how I go with my work etc though. I’ll log on here though, as I want it to be google searchable as per my reply above.

Panzer…good luck! I’m dealing with thyroid cancer and my oncologist said to workout whenever I feel like it. It will help your blood counts for sure. Hang in there bud. :slight_smile:

[quote]MytchBucanan wrote:
Panzer…good luck! I’m dealing with thyroid cancer and my oncologist said to workout whenever I feel like it. It will help your blood counts for sure. Hang in there bud. :)[/quote]

Thanks bro, and best wishes with your treatment also! How far through your chemo are you, if you don’t mind me asking, and how have you gone with maintaining weight and activity?
I realise everybody is different but still find it interesting.

[quote]panzerfaust wrote:

Panzer…good luck! I’m dealing with thyroid cancer and my oncologist said to workout whenever I feel like it. It will help your blood counts for sure. Hang in there bud. :)[/quote]

Thanks bro, and best wishes with your treatment also! How far through your chemo are you, if you don’t mind me asking, and how have you gone with maintaining weight and activity?
I realise everybody is different but still find it interesting.[/quote]

I had 8 weeks of chemo and radiation that ended in Oct. Then I wet into remission until the beginning of this year, but now I am on a clinical trial. I lost 40 lbs from the first round. The trial pill is easy so far, but Iam only 2 weeks into it. The chemo wasn’t so bad, but the radiation was.

I realise everybody is different but still find it interesting.[/quote]

I had 8 weeks of chemo and radiation that ended in Oct. Then I wet into remission until the beginning of this year, but now I am on a clinical trial. I lost 40 lbs from the first round. The trial pill is easy so far, but Iam only 2 weeks into it. The chemo wasn’t so bad, but the radiation was.[/quote]

That’s intense man. I’m not on any radiation, just Capox. I hope your trial works well!

Sorry to hear you have been sick Panzer and good Luck With future life and lifting.

Ps. I agree With others who say you definitly deserves that NOV shirt.

I don’t have any experience with this sort of thing so it’s impossible to give any advice - I would think that the most important thing for you is to keep moving, however you get it done. You are going to have to read your body and your recovery and adjust daily - just don’t forget to be disciplined to do “something” - whatever that is.

Good luck in your life - this is a hard time in your life but treat is as a way to show the world (and yourself) what you are made of.

[quote]florelius wrote:
Sorry to hear you have been sick Panzer and good Luck With future life and lifting.

Ps. I agree With others who say you definitly deserves that NOV shirt.

[/quote]

Cheers florelius, I’ve been following your new log. I will start one shortly :slight_smile:

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
I don’t have any experience with this sort of thing so it’s impossible to give any advice - I would think that the most important thing for you is to keep moving, however you get it done. You are going to have to read your body and your recovery and adjust daily - just don’t forget to be disciplined to do “something” - whatever that is.

Good luck in your life - this is a hard time in your life but treat is as a way to show the world (and yourself) what you are made of.[/quote]

Thanks Jim, you answered my question anyway. I really just wanted to know that the template I’ve been working isn’t obviously retarded in any manner - and apparently it isn’t so I will keep plugging away!

Yeah I won’t lie; I’m not waking up bursting with enthusiasm every day. But I am forcing myself to do at least Something, as something is always better than nothing. So far it’s working really well, and the hours after lifting are always the hours I feel healthiest.

Cheers everybody for the encouragement, I will keep bashing away and beat the shit out of this sickness :).

All the best with Recovery and Lifting, huge inspiration. Show everyone and everything that nothing can beat you!

Cheers everybody for the encouragement, I will keep bashing away and beat the shit out of this sickness :).

Amazing attitude…good luck, and kick that fuckers teeth in!

Panzerfest …it is an honor to read your posts,and you are quite the inspiration…love the 5/3/1 workouts and think they really are the nuts and bolts of a life approach…my youngest child was recently diagnosed with melanoma which spread to gastric cancer- he is scheduled for major surgery on 3/3 and is in for a long road.

His whole life at 18 has been shattered with his diagnosis but is hitting the rehab with vigor,and hope. I showed him your posts and as long as his doctor okays it will slowly wean him onto 5/3/1… He’s in Ny now but resides in LA as he is an actor - his mom will be helping him rehab/ get in shape( she’s a former powerlifting national champ and 3x masters world champ in highland games who loves te 5/3/1 workouts).

Good luck and god bless!

Bud you’re a legend. Ive been making excuses for years because of work. You’re situation has made me feel like a complete and utter twat. Hope everythings going well. You’re the man!

[quote]KOArtist wrote:

Amazing attitude…good luck, and kick that fuckers teeth in![/quote]

[quote]xTommyTickles92 wrote:
All the best with Recovery and Lifting, huge inspiration. Show everyone and everything that nothing can beat you![/quote]

[quote]Curodd wrote:
Bud you’re a legend. Ive been making excuses for years because of work. You’re situation has made me feel like a complete and utter twat. Hope everythings going well. You’re the man![/quote]

Thanks heaps guys, everyone’s encouraging words are very motivating for me. I’m going all good so far, first cycle down and strength is slowly creeping back on. Got hospitalised and nil-by-mouth for a week after a dosage fuck-up but that’s been the only major glitch. I’m tracking all that stuff in my log anyway.
And hey, everybody has their own things which they need to overcome, it’s all relative to your situation. Prior to the whole cancer thing, my drinking was my biggest enemy in training. Karma bomb = now I am not allowed to drink! haha

[quote]Dapper wrote:
Panzerfest …it is an honor to read your posts,and you are quite the inspiration…love the 5/3/1 workouts and think they really are the nuts and bolts of a life approach…my youngest child was recently diagnosed with melanoma which spread to gastric cancer- he is scheduled for major surgery on 3/3 and is in for a long road.

His whole life at 18 has been shattered with his diagnosis but is hitting the rehab with vigor,and hope. I showed him your posts and as long as his doctor okays it will slowly wean him onto 5/3/1… He’s in Ny now but resides in LA as he is an actor - his mom will be helping him rehab/ get in shape( she’s a former powerlifting national champ and 3x masters world champ in highland games who loves te 5/3/1 workouts).

Good luck and god bless!
[/quote]

Damn dude, I am humbled and extremely sorry to hear that.

One of my initial thoughts, when they were unsure whether I was operable, was Well at least I’m 30 and have had many good stress-free years prior to this diagnosis.
So for your son who is just on the cusp of manhood, that must be horrific news.

However, having (obviously) supportive parents will help him immensely, and you will be amazed at how resilient humans can be when faced with bad situations - already evidenced in what you say of his positive attitude and desire to rehabilitate and remain active. You’ve clearly raised him right and I’d bet he will do awesome.

I’m unsure whether your son is facing chemo but whatever physical activity the doctors allow him to do, will benefit him greatly in my opinion and according to research I’ve read - it’s common sense really. It can be easy to sit and allow things to swallow you, but even just mild exercise can ease the mind, and disallow the sickness to ruin more of your body than need be.
The times I feel best and most free from side effects are in the hours after exercise.

Please message me on my training log to update me on how your son goes, and wish him all the best from me, a random internet person. And if I can ever answer anything of use, just hit me up.

Cheers and strength to your family - Jay.